Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-22-2014, 10:08 AM   #16
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Although I am somewhat averse to nominating an author that has been previously read in the bookclubs, there's a book on my shelf that needs a little help getting off the to be read list so here it is:

I'll nominate Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami

From Amazon:
Spoiler:
In this hyperkinetic and relentlessly inventive novel, Japan’s most popular (and controversial) fiction writer hurtles into the consciousness of the West. Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World draws readers into a narrative particle accelerator in which a split-brained data processor, a deranged scientist, his shockingly undemure granddaughter, Lauren Bacall, Bob Dylan, and various thugs, librarians, and subterranean monsters collide to dazzling effect. What emerges is simultaneously cooler than zero and unaffectedly affecting, a hilariously funny and deeply serious meditation on the nature and uses of the mind.

I lent it to my mom to read. She said it was weird and didn't like it. I'm thinking that makes it even more intriguing.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:29 PM   #17
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Five days and only three nominations and only one fully nominated. We could have the first non-vote I've ever seen.
Advert
Old 10-22-2014, 12:38 PM   #18
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Five days and only three nominations and only one fully nominated. We could have the first non-vote I've ever seen.
Has this really been up for 5 days? I don't remember seeing it before Monday.

I see the date in the first post, but don't think that is correct. Maybe it was started then and not actually posted till Monday? Not sure how that works.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #19
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
This is written in English despite its French title, so it's unfortunately ineligible (otherwise I would second it).
I nominated it based in part on JS wolf's posting in # 5. And you have to remember that it's not written in modern English whether UK, Austraian, Canadian or US. It was published back in 1485 which makes it even older than the KJV of the Bible. And Mallory didn't invent the stories he translated and compiled them from French prose.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:32 PM   #20
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Although I am somewhat averse to nominating an author that has been previously read in the bookclubs, there's a book on my shelf that needs a little help getting off the to be read list so here it is:

I'll nominate Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami

From Amazon:
Spoiler:
In this hyperkinetic and relentlessly inventive novel, Japan’s most popular (and controversial) fiction writer hurtles into the consciousness of the West. Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World draws readers into a narrative particle accelerator in which a split-brained data processor, a deranged scientist, his shockingly undemure granddaughter, Lauren Bacall, Bob Dylan, and various thugs, librarians, and subterranean monsters collide to dazzling effect. What emerges is simultaneously cooler than zero and unaffectedly affecting, a hilariously funny and deeply serious meditation on the nature and uses of the mind.

I lent it to my mom to read. She said it was weird and didn't like it. I'm thinking that makes it even more intriguing.
I am not even sure I understand the blurb but it sounds interesting and I have been meaning to try Murakami. I will second this.

Links: Amazon US | Overdrive
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2014, 03:55 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'd like to nominate a book that's in my TBR pile.

I shall nominate The Bat by Jo Nesbø

Quote:
Inspector Harry Hole of the Oslo Crime Squad is dispatched to Sydney to observe a murder case. Harry is free to offer assistance, but he has firm instructions to stay out of trouble. The victim is a twenty-three year old Norwegian woman who is a minor celebrity back home. Never one to sit on the sidelines, Harry befriends one of the lead detectives, and one of the witnesses, as he is drawn deeper into the case. Together, they discover that this is only the latest in a string of unsolved murders, and the pattern points toward a psychopath working his way across the country. As they circle closer and closer to the killer, Harry begins to fear that no one is safe, least of all those investigating the case.
Overdrive: https://www.overdrive.com/media/1233750/the-bat https://www.overdrive.com/media/966603/the-bat
Kobo: http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebook/the-bat-11
Google: https://play.google.com/store/books/...d=NJUZuzYlW8oC
Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Bat-First-Harr...e+bat+jo+nesbo
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:56 PM   #22
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

I doubt Goodreads synopsis would make any more sense:

Spoiler:
'A narrative particle accelerator that zooms between Wild Turkey Whiskey and Bob Dylan, unicorn skulls and voracious librarians, John Coltrane and Lord Jim. Science fiction, detective story and post-modern manifesto all rolled into one rip-roaring novel, Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World is the tour de force that expanded Haruki Murakami's international following. Tracking one man's descent into the Kafkaesque underworld of contemporary Tokyo, Murakami unites East and West, tragedy and farce, compassion and detachment, slang and philosophy.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:57 PM   #23
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
That "10-17-2014, 07:37 PM" date on the first post can be deceiving. I knew I would be out of town on the 20th, so I created the nomination and discussion threads in advance and stored them in a secret underground vault known only to moderators and administrators. On the morning of the 20th, I simply moved them into place in the Book Club sub-forum.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:04 PM   #24
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

Cheeky moderator, messing with my tiny brain.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:09 PM   #25
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Cheeky moderator....
You've got me pretty well figured out!
Old 10-22-2014, 04:10 PM   #26
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'll second The Bat.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:11 PM   #27
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I'll third The Bat. I'm too slow.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:11 PM   #28
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'd like to nominate a book that's in my TBR pile.

I shall nominate The Bat by Jo Nesbø....
I 2nd that one.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:18 PM   #29
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'll second The Bat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I'll third The Bat. I'm too slow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I 2nd that one.
Looks like I was a bit slow on the draw on that one. Oh, well. Got my vote back and I third that bit of weirdness, Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:20 PM   #30
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I nominated it based in part on JS wolf's posting in # 5. And you have to remember that it's not written in modern English whether UK, Austraian, Canadian or US. It was published back in 1485 which makes it even older than the KJV of the Bible. And Mallory didn't invent the stories he translated and compiled them from French prose.
I see we voted on it in January 2014. Is there a one year rule?

As far as the language question, I say let the nominations sort it out.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote