Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #136
toomuchreading
Groupie
toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-T1
I will miss the text to speech. The T3 so far as I have read won't have mp3 capability, so won't be getting it. Just like the T2. I'll stick with my T1. Text to Speech is very important to me. If my T1 gives up on me, I'm going to have to take a hard look at what remains. No tablet for me, but then that doesn't give me much choice any more.
toomuchreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:41 AM   #137
Billingsgate
Buys too many books
Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem with the nook is the decision for them to split the memory and give the users not much memory for eBook not downloaded from B&N. I might have considered a nook as a second reader. But with the memory issue, I won't do it.
As far as I know, Kobo does the same thing, and won't allow Kobo-purchased books on the same shelves as side-loaded books. That's a major reason I stick with Sony Readers. I hope the T3 rumors are true. My 650 is still in great shape, but I would enjoy faster page turns.
Billingsgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:36 AM   #138
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billingsgate View Post
As far as I know, Kobo does the same thing, and won't allow Kobo-purchased books on the same shelves as side-loaded books. That's a major reason I stick with Sony Readers.
I'm not quite sure where this idea came from - I've read it elsewhere today also. I have no problem putting Kobo-purchased, Kobo-synced kepubs into the same shelves with sideloaded epubs. Just double-checked now to be 100% sure before saying it here. It's a non-issue.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:34 AM   #139
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
As far as I know, Kobo does the same thing, and won't allow Kobo-purchased books on the same shelves as side-loaded books. That's a major reason I stick with Sony Readers. I hope the T3 rumors are true. My 650 is still in great shape, but I would enjoy faster page turns.
Nope. You can have Kobo kepubs and sideloaded books on the same shelves without any problems. You can add books to shelves from the wrench menu on a book you are reading or from the library. Sideloaded books do not sync with the Kobo server.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:22 AM   #140
Billingsgate
Buys too many books
Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Nope. You can have Kobo kepubs and sideloaded books on the same shelves without any problems. You can add books to shelves from the wrench menu on a book you are reading or from the library. Sideloaded books do not sync with the Kobo server.
That's good to know. When the first Kobo Touch came out, you could not do that. I tried it on a demo model in a shop, and it wouldn't work. Then I wrote to Kobo support and they very clearly told me that side-loaded books can not be grouped with Kobo purchases on the same shelves. Obviously they have changed this policy, so thanks for letting me know. I still like Sony, but the Kobo Aura seems mighty nice.
Billingsgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #141
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
That's good to know. When the first Kobo Touch came out, you could not do that. I tried it on a demo model in a shop, and it wouldn't work. Then I wrote to Kobo support and they very clearly told me that side-loaded books can not be grouped with Kobo purchases on the same shelves. Obviously they have changed this policy, so thanks for letting me know. I still like Sony, but the Kobo Aura seems mighty nice.
When the first Kobo Touch came out there were no shelves at all, except for the short list. There was no shelf creation capability. Both sideloaded and kepub books could be put on the short list as far as I know. Shelves are relatively new to Kobo devices.

FWIW, many stores never seem to update firmware.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #142
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I wandered into a Sony store today and asked where the eBook readers were and the clerk told me they'd sent them all back to Sony. "Why would you do that? Is Sony getting out of the eInk eBook business?" and the clerk told me he thought they were in favor of their tablets.

OTOH, it may be they are just making room for the T3.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:53 PM   #143
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
In past years Sony store employees have proven to be clueless when it comes to what stock they're getting in or why they're sending any back or what they will be selling or not.

People have gotten similar answers in the past as you have when asking in the Sony stores, so I certainly would take what that clerk said with heaping HEAPING grains of salt.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #144
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
In past years Sony store employees have proven to be clueless when it comes to what stock they're getting in or why they're sending any back or what they will be selling or not.

People have gotten similar answers in the past as you have when asking in the Sony stores, so I certainly would take what that clerk said with heaping HEAPING grains of salt.
In my experience, Ripplinger is correct. You always hope that clerks will know about the products they do stock, but they can't be expected to know things about future products, since the public isn't supposed to know those things either. Clerks aren't in the best position to keep industrial secrets.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-22-2013 at 01:20 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #145
savbeowulf
Enthusiast
savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD Ivory
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
I wandered into a Sony store today and asked where the eBook readers were and the clerk told me they'd sent them all back to Sony. "Why would you do that? Is Sony getting out of the eInk eBook business?" and the clerk told me he thought they were in favor of their tablets.

OTOH, it may be they are just making room for the T3.
Just saw this not sure how true it is though!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1366595843.370370.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	571.5 KB
ID:	104760  
savbeowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #146
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by savbeowulf View Post
Just saw this not sure how true it is though!!
That was the article quoted in the OP that started this thread.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #147
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The 650s were hard to find several months prior to the T1 being released. What happened with the T1 / T2 transition? Did they drop they withdraw T1s from the Sony stores? Or drop the price?

Experience says no smoke without fire with Sony, but are we really seeing any smoke?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote