Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #16
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
The plastic around the plug that inserts into the NC broke on mine. I called B&N to get a replacement and told the rep that it was under warranty. She starts the process to send me a new cord and then informs me that my Nook Color's warranty had expired the previous day Dec. 2. I informed her that I had registered the same day I received the NC and that that date was May 13. I explained that I had gotten my NC from American Express using my points. Come to find out B&N automatically registered the sale date as the date they sold it to American Express. The rep was friendly and apologized for having to put me on hold while she got this corrected. Two minutes later she was back and again apologized for the problem. She let me know that the cord was going out and be at my address in 3 to 5 business days. I am lucky because I can use the charger for my wife's NC and continue to use it.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:57 PM   #17
petesmith643
petesmith643 began at the beginning.

Device: Nookbook Color
I'm on my third cable. Very poorly designed. Makes you wonder. I just bought #2 and #3.
No point in arguing with CS.
Pete
petesmith643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:12 PM   #18
Magnus
Enthusiast
Magnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I am lucky because I can use the charger for my wife's NC and continue to use it.
You can also charge your NC from a PC's USB port, or possibly with your cell phone charger (I do this occasionally) if it terminates in a microUSB connection. Charge time is noticeably longer (ie.e overnight) this way, but it does work.

If you have a local B&N, you can bring in your cable/NC and most often the manager will give you a replacement on the spot (the NC OEM cables are known to be faulty/fragile).
Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:25 PM   #19
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Unfortunately I do not have a local B&N. The closest one to me is an hour and a half away.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:39 AM   #20
pamulla
pamulla began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Whether they replace the cord free of charge is totally arbitrary; my B&N made me buy one. I am on my 3rd as well. Poor design.
pamulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:33 AM   #21
Magnus
Enthusiast
Magnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
It's sad that BN refuses to recognize the design deficiency in their USB connector. Many of us have phones, tablets, cameras, mp3 players, etc., that come with mini- or micro-usb connectors, and we don't see breakage on these other devices. That experience rules out "abuse" or "normal wear and tear".

The NC has the only hard, brittle plastic device among all the connectors I use. All the others have some level of flex in the end pieces.

Unless I need a quick charge, I use my phone cable to charge my NC to avoid breakage. I hope that someone finds a durable after-market cable that is comparable in charging performance to the OEM. I've written Monoprice suggesting they add such to their line. Maybe of others here do the same, we will have a more affordable (one time) replacement cable.
Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote