Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you generall prefer to read books by authors of you own gender?
I'm a woman and prefer to read books by women authors 17 8.17%
I'm a woman and prefer to read books by men authors 4 1.92%
I'm a woman and there is no clear gender bias to the authors I read 64 30.77%
I'm a man and prefer to read books by men authors 26 12.50%
I'm a man and prefer to read books by women authors 4 1.92%
I'm a man and there is no clear gender bias to the authors I read 86 41.35%
My gender is undetermined, and I read books primarily by women authors 0 0%
My gender is undetermined, and I read books primarily by men authors 1 0.48%
My gender is undetermined, and there is no clear gender bias to the authors of the books I read 6 2.88%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2010, 07:51 AM   #16
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I don't have a specific preference for male authors, but I do prefer male main characters. That does lead me to read more male than female authors as a consequence.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:54 AM   #17
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
[pedant] My gender is masculine. My sex is male. [/pedant]
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 08:02 AM   #18
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've heard before that men tend to read male authors. I've never really given any thought as to whether the authors I read are male or female, but when I came to answer this poll, I realised that almost all my books are by men. I find that realisation quite interesting, but I doubt it'll change my habits. I don't read books by men because they're by men, I read them because the subjects I want to read about tend to be written by men. I've got a series of books by Dana Jorgensen, who I think is Swedish. I've no idea if Dana is male or female, and frankly, I don't care. I do care that they're good, interesting books.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:42 AM   #19
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
[pedant] My gender is masculine. My sex is male. [/pedant]
That's also why I used the definitions 'women authors' and 'men authors'. The reason I used 'gender' is because to me, what people define themselves as, is more important in this respect than their physical sex (which may also be undetermined).
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:49 AM   #20
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I tend to read more male authors than female. However some of my favorite authors are women. It may be simply that I read a lot of older science fiction which tends to be male-dominated.

I do consciously avoid female fantasy writers who tend to be a little more New Agey than men. I don't rule them out, there just has to be a higher level of interest in the book for me to buy it.

But I love books by Connie Willis, Andre Norton, Ursula LeGuin, Harper Lee, J.K. Rowling, Shirley Jackson, Agatha Christie, Marion Zimmer Bradley (her science fiction more than her fantasy), and Coleen McCullough (her historical fiction).
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 08:54 AM   #21
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I just remembered one of Librarything's silly stats. Turns out 71% of the authors I registered there are male.

I don't know what the percentage of male authors in all the literature available today is, but I would guess it is at least 70%, probably more than that, so maybe my reading is a bit biased toward the feminine side compared to this, I don't know. I have been reading quite a lot of romance lately, which is usually written by women.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:09 AM   #22
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
I don't know what the percentage of male authors in all the literature available today is, but I would guess it is at least 70%, probably more than that, so maybe my reading is a bit biased toward the feminine side compared to this, I don't know. I have been reading quite a lot of romance lately, which is usually written by women.
I made an educated guess, didn't count exactly, but still it was interesting to note that I read more men authors than I thought I did. It's always interesting to take a look at what we actually do, rather than what we assume we do - as in the article linked to in this post.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:20 AM   #23
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Here's another take on a similar question

Do women have to be naked to get into the Metropolitan Museum?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	naked.gif
Views:	375
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	58188  
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:00 AM   #24
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
How are they defining 'nudes' - I'd have thought there would be more topless men than women (all them battle scenes - nipple count in the thousands!).
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:20 AM   #25
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
How are they defining 'nudes' - I'd have thought there would be more topless men than women (all them battle scenes - nipple count in the thousands!).
Look at the poster - "Modern Art sections".

However, a battle scene of naked Greeks or Celts, is generally not classified as a "nude" in the artistic sense. But we are talking about modern art anyway.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:22 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For me, I don't pick a book because of the gender of the author. I pick a book because I like the author or I think I might like the book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:29 AM   #27
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For me, I don't pick a book because of the gender of the author. I pick a book because I like the author or I think I might like the book.
Ah, but I wasn't asking that. I was asking what what happens to be the gender of the authors you read and how it relates to your own. It's not necessarily an intentional relationship (I think that would be rare). There's a definite difference.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:30 AM   #28
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
[QUOTE=grzzly;1108933]
For books written by women I have the feeling there always needs to be a romance involved. /QUOTE]

Maybe you just haven't read the "right" women (not that there's anything wrong with romance!).
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:50 AM   #29
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Well I read books that I enjoy and I do like the odd touch of romance.
I find that many male others have romance in their novels, even action type books.
The late great Robert B. Parker, Stuart Woods, Lee Child, Lawrence Block, Jack Higgins, Charlie Huston and the list could go on for quite a bit.
Many female authors do not focus excessively on the romantic aspect. Agatha Christie, Margerie Allingham, Martha Grimes, Nevadah Bar, Kate Wilhelm
Strip away all the romantic interaction and IMO the plot becomes a bit thin especially in mysteries and thrillers.
In my younger days I read a lot of Harlequins etc. and still would if there was nothing else available, nice light reading. But I really admire authors who can keep a romance alive through a long series without it getting boring or icky.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:23 AM   #30
grzzly
Enthusiast
grzzly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
[QUOTE=TGS;1109208]
Quote:
Originally Posted by grzzly View Post
For books written by women I have the feeling there always needs to be a romance involved. /QUOTE]

Maybe you just haven't read the "right" women (not that there's anything wrong with romance!).
Could well be, I don't consider myself well read compared to most people here, but then these authors are hiding well from me
grzzly is offline   Reply With Quote