Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #3151
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@cm9900: I vaguely remember someone experiencing this, quite a while ago. AFAIR, there's not much you can do, the framework just doesn't play nice with some fonts.

That said, there are a few things you can try:

* First, and easiest, is enabling one of the FT override. That *might* just fix it, poof!
* Second, and much less easy, is editing the offending font to tweak the metrics so that it has a smaller bounding box, closer to the edge of its curves. I *think* this was talked about in a bit more details the last time this came up, but I can't remember much more, sorry. The only thing I can say is that I'm mostly certain it was in this thread, if you want to delve into a search .

EDIT: Ahah! Found it!. Using an FT override fixed it .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-18-2013 at 12:22 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:16 AM   #3152
cm9900
cm9900 began at the beginning.

Device: k4
@NiLuJe fixed it,thanks!
cm9900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #3153
anywho
Connoisseur
anywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle
Quote:
This is a giant thread in which you'll find the custom ScreenSavers, custom Fonts & USBNetwork hacks for all non Touch Kindle devices (Kindle 2/DX/DXG/3/4), along with the Kindle 2/DX/DXG/3 JailBreak.
I know it's a bit daunting, but please bear with me, it'll be worth it
OK, so this forum is obviously not for anyone with a Kindle 4, but could I suggest that the text gets updated to specify that there IS or IS NOT anyway to get a font-hack for the Kindle 4? That's the question I'm still wanting to get resolved anyway. I suspect not, but it would be nice if it was clearly answered in there too. Especially since it's easy to do.
anywho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #3154
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@anywho: Err, yes it is. It's even specified in the part you quoted.

Quote:
This is [...] the custom Fonts [...] hack for all non Touch Kindle devices (Kindle 2/DX/DXG/3/4)
o_O

That, and there are multiple mentions of the process for K4 users each step of the way.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-28-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #3155
anywho
Connoisseur
anywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@anywho: Err, yes it is. It's even specified in the part you quoted.

That, and there are multiple mentions of the process for K4 users each step of the way.
I have a Kindle touch though, and it says it works for non-kindle touch devices
Advert
Old 07-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #3156
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by anywho View Post
I have a Kindle touch though, and it says it works for non-kindle touch devices
If you have a touch screen device, you do not have what is known as a "Kindle 4" here.
See
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
To positively identify your device type.

Both the Kindle Touch and the Kindle Paperwhite use the version-5 firmware.
They are both listed under "K5" in both the prefix filter and in the master index sticky.

Index sticky -> K5 -> Screensaver gives you a link to:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...67#post2286667

You could also find it using the "K5" prefix filter.

Last edited by knc1; 07-28-2013 at 02:07 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #3157
NiLuJe
BLAM!

So, with a K5, for Fonts, that leaves you with a lot of different choices (ixtab's Font Hack, USE_ALT_FONTS, a few KUAL extensions, ...), check the WiKi .
Old 07-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #3158
anywho
Connoisseur

Quote:
So, with a K5, for Fonts, that leaves you with a lot of different choices (ixtab's Font Hack, USE_ALT_FONTS, a few KUAL extensions, ...), check the WiKi .
thanks!
Old 07-29-2013, 08:32 PM   #3159
anywho
Connoisseur

Quote:
USE_ALT_FONTS worked spot on
Old 08-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #3160
rryk
rryk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi,

The screen on my Kindle 3 WiFi 's is broken. I would like to turn the device into an SSH server running some flavor of Linux with the ability to connect via WiFi.

I understand that I need to a) install jailbreak, b) install usbnetwork, c) install launchpad, d) follow these instructions: http://linux-tipps.blogspot.de/2011/...wifi-with.html.

So far I have managed to activate voice guide to get rough understanding where I am. I have also tried to put various update files onto my Kindle and it seems that only update_jailbreak_0.11.N_k3w-3.0-to-3.2_install.bin and update_jailbreak_0.11.N_k3w_install.bin are recognized by the device (option "Update your Kindle" becomes activated). However, I cannot look up the exact version of the firmware, because the screen is broken. Is there any other way to determine the version?

I should also mention that I have tried to jailbreak my Kindle long time ago, but I don't remember if I have succeeded last time. On the USB storage there is a folder "linkjail" with an info file that claims it is an installed jailbrea. However, Kindle won't accept usbnetwork updates (the option "Update your kindle" is not active). Therefore I have assumed that my last attempt to install a jailbreak was unsuccessful (or only partially successful). Please let me know how can I check if my Kindle is jailbroken or not and what should I do with this folder (e.g. keep or delete it?)

Last edited by rryk; 08-09-2013 at 04:08 PM.
rryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #3161
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@rryk:

* That blog post is deprecated, there's a setting in the USBNet hack that does that for you.
* If you have a linkjail fodler, you should be jailbroken (ie. keep it).
* Without a screen and a shell access, nope, OTOH, no way to know the FW version.
* A grayed "Update Your Kindle" link means you're using the wrong .bin file for your Kindle model.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #3162
rryk

Quote:
* That blog post is deprecated, there's a setting in the USBNet hack that does that for you.
Do you mean the WiFi setting? Awesome. Then I don't need step c) and d). Just a) and b).

Quote:
* If you have a linkjail fodler, you should be jailbroken (ie. keep it).
Why wouldn't it then accept usbnetwork update? I do not exclude the possibility that I have copied it there myself for some reason (perhaps in hope that this will install the jailbreak).

Quote:
* Without a screen and a shell access, nope, OTOH, no way to know the FW version.
I guess then I have to try one of the two. If I use the wrong version - what will happen? Will it brick the device? How will I know that it's bricked? Can I somehow update my Kindle via some official way to 3.3 and then use the latest jailbreak?

Quote:
* A grayed "Update Your Kindle" link means you're using the wrong .bin file for your Kindle model.
I can't see it's grayed out, but the selection jumps over it and voice guide doesn't read it. Like I said it's only active on the following updates:
  • update_jailbreak_0.11.N_k3w_install.bin
  • update_jailbreak_0.11.N_k3w_uninstall.bin
  • update_jailbreak_0.11.N_k3w-3.0-to-3.2_install.bin

P.S. It seems I've just used the wrong usbnetwork update. I've tried the one with k3w suffix and it has enabled the "update" option in the menu. Now I've installed it. I guess now I need to get Linux machine somewhere and test it. Thanks anyway.

Last edited by rryk; 08-09-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #3163
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@rryk:

* Yep, the wifi setting .

* The JB has nothing to do with the 'Update Your Kindle' menu entry .

* Nope, it'll just fail to install/jb . No official way to do full updates on the K3. You *can* use Kubrick, though.

Yup, you were just using the wrong file . Glad you got it sorted!
Old 08-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #3164
rryk

Thank you for the help. I've managed to SSH into Kindle over USB, but I still can't enable SSH over WiFi. I've changed the respective flag in the usbnet/etc/config, but the problem is that I cannot connect to the WiFi network. I use a router which uses WPA2-PSK security with cipher type set to AUTO(TKIP/AES). I tried to enter the pasword a number of times and tried to follow these instructions: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=3/. However, as I mentioned before, my screen is broken and I am not sure if I am doing everything alright. In the end I always hear the voice guide telling me that connection was unsuccessful.

Is there a way to connect to a WiFi network from the command line while ssh'd into Kindle over USB? This way I will at least be able to see what's happening.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:00 PM   #3165
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rryk View Post
Thank you for the help. I've managed to SSH into Kindle over USB, but I still can't enable SSH over WiFi. I've changed the respective flag in the usbnet/etc/config, but the problem is that I cannot connect to the WiFi network. I use a router which uses WPA2-PSK security with cipher type set to AUTO(TKIP/AES). I tried to enter the pasword a number of times and tried to follow these instructions: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=3/. However, as I mentioned before, my screen is broken and I am not sure if I am doing everything alright. In the end I always hear the voice guide telling me that connection was unsuccessful.

Is there a way to connect to a WiFi network from the command line while ssh'd into Kindle over USB? This way I will at least be able to see what's happening.
Which firewall are you using?
The Amazon default or ours?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet