Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-19-2014, 02:10 AM   #811
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiat_Lux View Post
All:

I started a book about a psychology experiment in human sexuality. Erotica is the genre.
The study is about what happens when a couple is put together, when each person is the opposite of what the other desires/looks for in a partner.

The first chapter describes the couple meeting in a bar, and instantly dismissing the other, as not even worth a pickup line.

The second chapter describes them interviewing to be a subject in the psychology experiment.

The third chapter describes their first two hour sessions. All they had to do was hold hands for the entire two hours.

I jumped to the end of the book, and the couple did have sex, and a relationship outside of the project.

Does anybody recognize that plotline. If so, what is the author, and title of it.
I think the last word of the title is "experiment", but not sure.

I started reading it. I upgraded a program on my tablet that borked the tablet, so I had to do a system restore. The automatic backups didn't back it up. I thought I had manually backed it up to my laptop, and imported it into Calibre, but nothing comes there.

Going through the eBook readers I re-installed, and it doesn't come up.

I just want to know what happens between that first session, and them having a relationship.
Sounds like the Harrad Experiment by Robert H. Rimmer also a 1973 movie.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:21 PM   #812
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancey View Post
You can download X Minus One legally from the Internet Archive:

https://archive.org/details/OTRR_Certified_X_Minus_One

I'll have to do this when I get the time. Thanks for the tip!
Thanks for the link. Among other things they have scans of the actual stories that were adapted to the radio plays and among them is one I've wanted to read since I 1st heard it. "The Map Makers" by Frederick Pohl. I have never been able to find a copy of the story, and yet there it is among the documents in the 1st of 3 zip files of X Minus One.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2014, 02:42 PM   #813
hidden.platypus
Connoisseur
hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Android
2 Titles

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

1. You know the problem with reading these kinds of threads is coming across a description and going "Huh, that sounds interesting. I'd like to read that. And then scrolling down to discover that no one has discovered the book. And oh, it's remained unanswered for 3 years. Thanks zelda.

2. I have two books that google won't help me find. Appreciate any assistance anyone here provides.
Quote:
A. Children interface with a computer that's almost symbiotic. And I really shouldn't say computer. It's more like a network; a series of competing internets almost. The system/computer/interface works by placing jewels on the wearer's face. These jewels are also something of a fashion statement, but only for a group of voluntary outcasts. Voluntary outcasts in the same way goth kids wear black clothes and lipstick.

There is somebody in the book who's name is Tiger. Maybe be Mama Tiger. And this person may not be a person. Maybe an artificial intelligence.

Quote:
B. Post-apocalyptic book about people who are in new york when the apocalypse happens (man-made, probably nuclear but I'm not sure if that's confirmed or discussed explicitly in the book). The survivors live in New York for a while, but packs of wild dogs, and people who have just gone batshit crazy given that there are no laws (or maybe crazy from radiation poisoning- almost certain, but not positive that these crazy people are not zombies) force them to leave and try to live elsewhere. Anyhow, they leave New York and people are apparently shooting people who wander for no good reason than they have guns. They kind of form a caravan (or run into other survivors who have formed a caravan), and if I remember correctly one of the vehicles in the caravan is a VW bus. But one of the underlying themes in the book is Ants. How the survivors are like ants, and have to work hard to survive. I believe they even name their caravan the Ant colony or something.

And no, this is not the Stand by Stephen King, although it is possible I'm conflating details from that book with the book I can't remember.

Again thanks in advance for any suggestions, even if the suggestions amount to a tutorial on how to better use google.
hidden.platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:24 AM   #814
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I read the book 10 to 15 years ago, I think. It was recently released when I read it. I heard about it on NPR; it was a recommended summer read or beach book, I think.

My sketchy memory recalls... A man has lost his memory. He knows who he is. He is in an urban setting. I think he was a detective. I think it was a mystery. He may have been dying, but I think he is ok in the end (I may he wrong about this). I think he slowly gets his memory back.

I thought it might be a Michael Connelly book, but I don't think it was.

Thanks.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:01 PM   #815
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Could it have been "The Tightrope Men" by Desmond Bagley? https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/..._Tightrope_Men
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2014, 12:14 PM   #816
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
Could it have been "The Tightrope Men" by Desmond Bagley? https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/..._Tightrope_Men
Thanks, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't it. I seem to recall it set in a suburb setting. It was in the U.S., maybe L.A.

I seem to recall that not much happens, it all takes place relatively close to his house. I think there is a little love twist, or a woman helping him (I'm not sure about this.)

I'm hoping the NPR review will trigger someone's memory.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:02 PM   #817
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I am not familiar with the book you are looking for, but if you haven't already you might check this list at GR for some help: https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/npr-recommended

I assume you have checked, but for someone else who might be interested, the NPR Book Review Archive goes back to February 2005: http://www.npr.org/sections/book-reviews/archive
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:07 PM   #818
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
I suspect this one is too recent but how about Nameless night (UK: Identity) by GM Ford

http://www.amazon.com/Nameless-Night...words=g+m+ford
Mort1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:26 PM   #819
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I am not familiar with the book you are looking for, but if you haven't already you might check this list at GR for some help: https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/npr-recommended

I assume you have checked, but for someone else who might be interested, the NPR Book Review Archive goes back to February 2005: http://www.npr.org/sections/book-reviews/archive
I checked the first list for books older than 2005. I didn't see it.

I checked the second list for may and june 2005 and didn't see it. I think it was most likely before 2013.

Thanks.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:30 PM   #820
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort1997 View Post
I suspect this one is too recent but how about Nameless night (UK: Identity) by GM Ford

http://www.amazon.com/Nameless-Night...words=g+m+ford
That's not it. Thanks.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:10 PM   #821
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKate View Post
Sounds like the Harrad Experiment by Robert H. Rimmer also a 1973 movie.
It isn't The Harrad Experiment.
It is called Forbidden Experiment

I found a British edition of it, from a vendor whose offerings are not compatible with the ebook reading program I use. That, coupled with the ten quid that they want for it put paid to re-acquiring it. I've never paid ten quid for a hard copy edition of a short story. I'm not about to start that practice now.

Last edited by Fiat_Lux; 10-28-2014 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Added book title
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:11 PM   #822
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It isn't The Harrad Experiment.
It is called Forbidden Experiment

I found a British edition of it, from a vendor whose offerings are not compatible with the ebook reading program I use. That, coupled with the ten quid that they want for it put paid to re-acquiring it. I've never paid ten quid for a hard copy edition of a short story. I'm not about to start that practice now.
Who was the author? I read the Harrad Experiment and saw the movie so would like to read the Forbidden Experiment if I can find it to compare.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:59 PM   #823
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Unhappy

Quote:
Who was the author?
I didn't write down the name of the author, and don't remember it.
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 05:56 PM   #824
LadyKate
Fanatic

Quote:
I didn't write down the name of the author, and don't remember it.
The only "Forbidden Experiment" I could find was on Goodreads and the description is rather different...
Just before dawn on January 9, 1800, a mysterious creature emerged from a forest in southern France. Although he was human in form and walked upright, his habits were those of a young male animal. He was wearing only a tattered shirt, but did not seem troubled by the cold. Showing no modesty about his nakedness, he ate greedily, seizing roasted potatoes from a hot fire. He seemed to have no language skills, only grunting occasionally. A cause celebre developed over the question of what should be done with this puzzling wild boy. People wondered: Could he learn to speak? Or be taught to eat with a knife and fork?

If you happen to remember where you saw it I would like to follow up on it... now I'm curious.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:23 PM   #825
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
The only "Forbidden Experiment" I could find was on Goodreads and the description is rather different...
Just before dawn on January 9, 1800, a mysterious creature emerged from a forest in southern France. Although he was human in form and walked upright, his habits were those of a young male animal. He was wearing only a tattered shirt, but did not seem troubled by the cold. Showing no modesty about his nakedness, he ate greedily, seizing roasted potatoes from a hot fire. He seemed to have no language skills, only grunting occasionally. A cause celebre developed over the question of what should be done with this puzzling wild boy. People wondered: Could he learn to speak? Or be taught to eat with a knife and fork?

If you happen to remember where you saw it I would like to follow up on it... now I'm curious.
That one is at Gutenberg but it's in the original french: Click
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths