Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
nuz
nuz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
ebook cover software?

Hi, I'd like to make covers that are black and white, with simple graphics and good fonts, like the attached, I found from here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cover.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	86583

If anyone is familiar with these could you give an opinion?
http://print-creativity-software-rev...tenreviews.com

In Amazon review, someone stated greeting card factory is better than print artist, and since it has a ton of fonts wonder if it is a good choice.

Thanks for any advice.
nuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Go to the Calibre forum, they have a plug-in for this.
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2012, 02:35 AM   #3
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I didn't know there was one there. Thanks for that referral.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOZAWUN View Post
Go to the Calibre forum, they have a plug-in for this.
The Generate Cover plugin is quite good and I find it very useful. It is somewhat limited in its layout options, though.

@nuz:
If you will need to create the graphic elements yourself you'll need a rather powerful editing program. If, on the other hand, you can be satisfied with picking one from a clipart collection, a simple image editing program may do the job.

You might find that a program like PhotoScape (freeware) will work well. You can get quite a number of free, useful fonts from various online sources (HighFonts, Dafont, ...). There is also a reasonable amount of free clipart to be found.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Another freeware program that can be useful is GIMP. You can do quite a lot with it with just a little practice.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
SteveOO
SteveOO began at the beginning.

Device: none
Nuz,

A lot of those products at http://print-creativity-software-rev...enreviews.com/ have a big learning curve. Most of them are desktop software.

For an easy way to create covers use this online solution: http://3dcovermaker.com

Click the "Free Demo" link on this site and you'll see just how easy it is to create a nice cover.

Steve
SteveOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #7
nuz
nuz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up using PrintMaster for the font editing, and Photoscape for everything else.

nuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuz View Post
Hi, I'd like to make covers that are black and white, with simple graphics and good fonts, like the attached, I found from here.

Attachment 86583

If anyone is familiar with these could you give an opinion?
http://print-creativity-software-rev...tenreviews.com

In Amazon review, someone stated greeting card factory is better than print artist, and since it has a ton of fonts wonder if it is a good choice.

Thanks for any advice.
That is a poor cover. That's not a tree of life. That's just a plain tree.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:42 AM   #9
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Another freeware program that can be useful is GIMP. You can do quite a lot with it with just a little practice.
I really like GIMP. I used it quite extensively until I was given a CS3 license from my employer, and I still use GIMP every now and again. If someone's looking for a free tool for image manipulation, GIMP is great (plus some of the wonderful user plug-ins).

I also really liked some of what Aviary has to offer. For being a bunch of browser based tools, they are pretty cool.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:54 AM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I found this link: http://tml.pp.fi/gimp/pspi.html
The program is supposed to allow Photo Shop plug ins to be used in Gimp. I don't know how well it works though as I haven't tried it yet myself.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote