Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
yoss15
Enthusiast
yoss15 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Issue With Chapter Headings and TOC

I'm having a weird issue when using Kindle Previewer to convert an ePub to mobi.

When I use the TOC to go to a section of the book, the format of the section heading text is messed up. But if I go back one page and then forward to the section heading again it appears fine. I also get the same thing on my actual Kindle.

Any ideas what this could be? It only seems to happen when accessing a section through the TOC.

Thanks
yoss15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The anchor used in the TOC link is probably dropping you inside a header tag. That's a known bug when creating mobi (at least for the Kindle) files.

The link in the TOC should take you to an anchor before the chapter header. Ideally, the link in the TOC would be directly to an xhtml file with no anchor (one chapter equals one file in the epub), but if that can't be arranged... then have the link in the TOC go to an anchor point preceding the header tag.

TOC-link:
Code:
<a href="my-ebook.xhtml#chap1">Chapter One</a>

Anchor in my-ebook.xhtml the wrong way:
Code:
<h3 id="chap1">Chapter One</h3>
Anchor in my-ebook.xhtml another wrong way:
Code:
<h3><a id="chap1" href="toc.xhtml">Chapter One</a></h3>

Anchor in my-ebook.xhtml the "right" way (well, technically more like the "if you want it to work right" way):
Code:
<a id="chap1" /><h3>Chapter One</h3>
or
Code:
<a id="chap1" /><h3><a href="toc.xhtml">Chapter One</a></h3>

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-05-2012 at 02:48 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
yoss15
Enthusiast

Thanks a lot for your response.

Unfortunately it didn't seems to work.

My links were initially set up like this,

Code:
      <p class="Chapter-Heading" id="toc_marker-2"><a id="About-the-Author"></a>About the Author</p>
Which seems like it shouldn't have the issue you described I think.

So I changed them to this,

Code:
      <p class="Chapter-Heading" id="toc_marker-2"><a id="About-the-Author" />About the Author</p>
and I still get the same issue.

My TOC is set up as

Code:
<a href="../Text/Introduction.html#About-the-Author">About the Author<br /></a>
Any thoughts?
Old 02-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Try putting the anchor outside the p tag (since you're not using h tags for your chapter headers). It's the exact same issue... your anchor in the toc link is dropping you inside the styled <p> tag instead of before it like it needs to.

So instead of this:
Code:
<p class="Chapter-Heading" id="toc_marker-2"><a id="About-the-Author" />About the Author</p>
Make it this:
Code:
<a id="About-the-Author" /><p class="Chapter-Heading" id="toc_marker-2">About the Author</p>
And leave your toc href the same as you have it now:
Code:
<a href="../Text/Introduction.html#About-the-Author">About the Author<br /></a>

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-05-2012 at 10:11 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
yoss15
Enthusiast

Works perfectly now! Sorry I misunderstood your first suggestion.

Is there a collection of weird formatting things like this that people should look out for? I only noticed this by chance and could easily see myself missing it.
Advert
Old 02-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
It would be better if you would use h1, h2, etc. for headings. That is what h means and was designed for. Making everything a p tag is not semantically correct even though it is syntax correct. Depending on CSS is not a good idea for MOBI since it doesn't even understand CSS so you are depending on the conversion tool to do the right thing. Don't use div for everything either. Semantics is useful and important and will be even more important in ePub3 in the future.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote