Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-28-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
Newbie1
Newbie1 doesn't litterNewbie1 doesn't litter

Device: none
E-readers/ Tablets with Russian-language support - Need help!

Hi! Sorry in advance for yet another thread seeking help in choosing the right device for me, but I am really confused right now.

I really don't care much for Apps and books. I need an ereader for reading documents I use for work on the go (mainly doc., .rtf and .pdf formats) and also a decent web browser. Any additional features will be welcome, but I won't be devastated if I cannot stream video or listen to the music.

I would prefer a more sensitive touch screen, not the resistive screen (I'm used to my iphone, so I'm afraid the resistive screen will drive me crazy and I don't want to use a stylus).

The most important thing for me is to be able to read documents and to do web browsing in different languages - mainly English, Russian, and French.

And, of course, the dimensions... the smaller and lighter - the better.

Unfortunately, my budget is not very high - I'd like to stay under $200.

I've been looking at Velocity Cruz Reader (don't know if it supports Russian) and PocketBook IQ 701, but I am open to other suggestions!

Any advice will be highly appreciated!!

Last edited by Newbie1; 01-28-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Newbie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #2
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie1 View Post
Hi! Sorry in advance for yet another thread seeking help in choosing the right device for me, but I am really confused right now.

I really don't care much for Apps and books. I need an ereader for reading documents I use for work on the go (mainly doc., .rtf and .pdf formats) and also a decent web browser. Any additional features will be welcome, but I won't be devastated if I cannot stream video or listen to the music.

I would prefer a more sensitive touch screen, not the resistive screen (I'm used to my iphone, so I'm afraid the resistive screen will drive me crazy and I don't want to use a stylus).

The most important thing for me is to be able to read documents and to do web browsing in different languages - mainly English, Russian, and French.

And, of course, the dimensions... the smaller and lighter - the better.

Unfortunately, my budget is not very high - I'd like to stay under $200.

I've been looking at Velocity Cruz Reader (don't know if it supports Russian) and PocketBook IQ 701, but I am open to other suggestions!

Any advice will be highly appreciated!!
Browsing is not one of the strongest selling points for dedicated ereaders. So in my opinion, that would be a "no no" to any eink device.

Based on your PDF requirement and ability to browse Internet, it looks like you need a tablet, but the problem is that I don't know of any good capacitive screen tablet which falls under your 200 budget. The closest things would be a Nook Color. Even though it handles PDF ok, does not remember last read page and lacks of other important PDF features present in a Sony ereader, for example.

So, I would suggest to check (in order) for these devices: Nook Color, Samsung Galaxy Tab, iPad.

iPad could be out of budget, but for PDFs and browsing (except Flash, of course) I think there is nothing better; kind of big though, so keep that in mind. The Galaxy Tab is a bit less expensive, you will have Full Android Market and it's more open in terms of ports and software than Nook Color and iPad. It is about 16oz and portable and ThinkFreeOffice app handles PDF really well, with reflow and supports TOC, which is awesome.

I played with the Velocity Cruz and did not like, besides was running an old version of Android; I found it a bit unresponsive as well. The Pocketbook could be ok for some folks, but that LCD screen is just not for me.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2011, 03:48 AM   #3
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
I agree, I think a tablet would suit you best. If you can wait, there are a number of tablets due out some time this year. Chances are one of those will suit you. Try to come up with an optimal size. Keep in mind that there will be a tradeoff between portability and readability, particularly for the pdfs. Most ereaders are aimed at novel reading, so the screen size is less of an issue, however pdfs generally don't display to their best on the smaller screen. The optimal size for you depends on how much you value portability compared to (pdf) readability. Ideally, go to a shop with different sizes and compare.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:21 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to Mobileread ....

There is a matrix of readers in our Wiki that may help you with a decision ... see the link in my signature ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:41 PM   #5
Newbie1

Thank you everyone for your responses and good advice!! I think I may really wait and see what new options come up this summer, especially if Apple comes up with a 7-inch iPad. Meanwhile, I'll probably just get a very simple e-reader, without Internet connection or any extra functions... just something to upload my documents on to have them with me when I travel.
Advert
Old 01-30-2011, 08:27 PM   #6
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Newbie1, the jetBook Lite handles Russian and pdf's well. But there is no internet browsing. It's inexpensive, and should tide you over till the tablets come out later this year.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:13 PM   #7
Newbie1

Thanks, GA Russell!!! I ordered my Jetbook and it should arrive today! I'm really looking forward to playing with it!
Old 02-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #8
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Congrats Newbie! jetBook has its own forum here, and you can learn a lot by going through the old threads.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote