Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 10-27-2011, 07:43 AM   #1
Kognos
Kognos began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
Is there a simple ePub reader for PC?

Hi there

I'm looking for a reader that will do just that - allow me to open and read ePub files on my PC (XP). The ones I've tried, for example Sony and Calibre want to manage my files, whjich involves making unnecessary copies of stuff I've already downloaded to my computer.

Is there something that will do what, say, Adobe reader does for pdf, and just open an ePub file when I click on it, let me read it, then close without changing anything?

Many thanks
Kognos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:46 AM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You could try the windows version of FBReader http://www.fbreader.org/win32/

There's also a Firefox-Plugin for Epubs I think.

Another option is Azardi http://azardi.infogridpacific.com/html/

Last edited by frostschutz; 10-27-2011 at 07:49 AM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:43 AM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I use Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) as a simple ePub reader. I have it associated with the Windows "Open" command for the ePub extension so that it opens as the default app when I double-click on an ePub.

For that matter, you can use calibre's reader (ebook-viewer.exe) the same way, totally bypassing calibre's library management functions.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
+1 on the Adobe Digital Editions. It's a free download and it works.
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
The simplest is the plug-in for Firefox. I don't know if it makes file copies though.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:41 AM   #6
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
I use Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) as a simple ePub reader. I have it associated with the Windows "Open" command for the ePub extension so that it opens as the default app when I double-click on an ePub.
That's what I use too.

By the way, what icon is associated with your .epub files? Previously I had none, oh, and that's a feature of ADE....

Last edited by nrapallo; 10-28-2011 at 03:53 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:08 PM   #7
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
By the way, what icon is associated with your .epub files?...
I use this one:
Attached Files
File Type: zip epubicon.zip (26.0 KB, 2897 views)

Last edited by dwig; 10-28-2011 at 05:10 PM.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:39 AM   #8
Kognos
Kognos began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
Thanks for your help. I had tried associating ePub with Calibre, but hadn't noticed that the reader is a separate .exe, and that you can use it and bypass all the library management stuff. Using ADE works too. I didn't try the other options, two is enough! Great response to my first query!
Kognos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #9
montmorency
montmorency began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kognos View Post
Thanks for your help. I had tried associating ePub with Calibre, but hadn't noticed that the reader is a separate .exe, and that you can use it and bypass all the library management stuff. Using ADE works too. I didn't try the other options, two is enough! Great response to my first query!

I discovered today that another, simple way to bypass the Calibre library management functions is to go to "all programs", look for the Calibre drop down, and select the E-book viewer.
(This is on an XP machine).

Having said that, while Calibre is great, and FBReader is also very good at what it does, I was wondering if there were any other stand-alone programs (not browser add-ons) that did similar things.
(I'm afraid I don't like the look and feel of Adobe DE at all).

I've been having font problems of different kinds with both Calibre and FBReader, while reading some German books in EPUB format. While Calibre read most of the books fine, for one of them, for some reason, it couldn't handle the umlauts.

So I tried the same book in FBReader, and it handled the umlauts fine (and for all the other German books I had). But it insisted on reading them with a non-serif font, and when I tried changing it, it didn't seem to want to do it (though I tried several). I could change fonts with FBReader's "about" information, no problem.

I notice that the development effort for FBReader is going into mobile devices, which is fair enough, but it does mean the desktop support (for Windows anyway) has fallen way behind.
montmorency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
You might try Cool Reader. There are many choices for eBook readers on windows. We have them covered in our wiki. https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_software#Windows

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #11
montmorency

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
You might try Cool Reader. There are many choices for eBook readers on windows. We have them covered in our wiki. https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_software#Windows

Dale
Many thanks Dale!

The field is evidently a lot wider than I thought (I'm glad to discover).

Cheers,
Montmorency.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #12
montmorency

Quote:
Originally Posted by montmorency View Post
Many thanks Dale!

The field is evidently a lot wider than I thought (I'm glad to discover).

Cheers,
Montmorency.

I'm impressed already with coolreader3. Very simple but very effective. A few more fonts wouldn't hurt, but it does the job (& no problems with umlauts, etc), and is very lightweight.

Thanks again for the tip.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
The simplest is the plug-in for Firefox. I don't know if it makes file copies though.
Yes it does. It has its own bookshelf manager and that is where it keeps the copy.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:32 PM   #14
Wingman4l7
Thinks Before He Posts
Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.

Device: Kobo Mini
Ironically, the only thing I've found that truly does what you describe -- treat ePUBs like PDFs and not include any annoying "library" functionality -- is a PDF reader, Sumatra PDF, which also supports ePUBs. As an added bonus, it comes in a "portable" version, a standalone executable.

Last edited by Wingman4l7; 02-09-2014 at 12:33 PM. Reason: clarification
Wingman4l7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #15
eping
ePub Maker
eping began at the beginning.

Device: iPad,Kindle 3, Nook 2
Oh, it's right here, please just try PC ePub Reader
http://epingsoft.com/epubreader/
standalone executable, totally free.
eping is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags