Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-08-2018, 01:58 AM   #1
jeffery
Enthusiast
jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura hd
Flagging books to prevent conversion?

I will use this one for this example: The Oxford Dictionary of English Grammar

In 99.9 percent of the cases I want epubs. and I don't mind so much if there are errors during the conversion process, I can still read the book and get through it. But books like this grammar book absolutely must not get converted and sent to my reader as they will be completely useless with any change to the layout. So, an original PDF must be sent to the reader.

So, despite the fact that I tell Calibre that I want epubs for everything, is there someway to lock this one book and force Calibre to leave it alone and if I ask for it to be transferred, transfer it as is? or must I remember 5 years from now every book that I have ever run across that has formatting issues? I think it would be easier to be able to flag a book, when I discover it, that must be transferred unconverted.
jeffery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 02:23 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As long as a format supported by the connected device is present, calibre will not convert the book when sending.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2018, 02:25 AM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Why not simply add pdf to the file types that can be sent to your ereader to prevent an attempt to convert on the fly. If you click on the ebook in your library and tell calibre to convert, then that's on you but since conversion leaves the original, you could just delete the converted version. I've attached samples of the configuration for my Tolino and Kobo ereaders from the Configure Device menu.

Arrghhh... Kovid replied while I was creating my reply!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo_send_to_device_formats.png
Views:	178
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	164929   Click image for larger version

Name:	tolino_send_to_device_formats.png
Views:	164
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	164930  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote