Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-09-2009, 11:35 PM   #1
slothrop
Enthusiast
slothrop began at the beginning.

Has anyone been able to flip pages using the dark touchscreen?

The manual says that I should be able to turn pages when the touchscreen goes dark by just moving my finger over it horizontally. Has anyone gotten this to work, because I tried all sorts of books and it never turns a single page.
slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:42 PM   #2
Abulia
Enthusiast
Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: nook
Just tried on mine and works fine. Swiped to turn pages both forwards and backwards without issue.

That said, using the navigation button is much easier (and faster) IMO.
Abulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 03:24 AM   #3
DaveNB
Connoisseur
DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770 (FBReader)
Works fine for me too.

Slide from L->R to go back one page, R->L to go forward. Haven't found an option adjust/change which way you swipe to turn pages. It is reasonably responsive and usable but I find myself using the hardware page forward/back buttons (they have a matte texture and have little raised bumps on them so they are easy to find just by touch) as they fall readily under my fingers when I'm holding the device and they are quite responsive.

Dave
DaveNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothrop View Post
The manual says that I should be able to turn pages when the touchscreen goes dark by just moving my finger over it horizontally. Has anyone gotten this to work, because I tried all sorts of books and it never turns a single page.
Works for me too, and I use it quite often, especially while commuting, I hold the reader on one hand and use the thumb to turn pages. You have to swipe quite fast, or the nook won't detect it.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:59 AM   #5
zorro18
zorro18 began at the beginning.

swiping on the dark touchscreen doesnt really work for my new nook.
Out of 30 swipes I would say it only worked 1-2 times.
zorro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2010, 08:09 AM   #6
tomh
tomh doesn't littertomh doesn't litter

Device: Nexus 7.2, Aura H2O
For some reason, the swipe action needs your finger to be moving when it first touches the screen. A light touch works if you get the motion part right. Also, the touch screen needs to be dark when you swipe.
tomh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:44 AM   #7
Schmots
Connoisseur
Schmots began at the beginning.

Device: nook, prs-505, iphone
I don't have to be in motion when I touch, it swipes just fine... too fine.. if I bump it with my palm while holding the book and it shifts one way or the other, I turn the page. I stick with the hardware buttons for page turns.

I have no info on this, but would like to know if there is a battery life difference in doing one way over the other due to the extra processor power needed to register the swipe
Schmots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:07 AM   #8
jynclr
jynclr began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomh View Post
For some reason, the swipe action needs your finger to be moving when it first touches the screen. A light touch works if you get the motion part right. Also, the touch screen needs to be dark when you swipe.
Wanted to confirm this. For me, my finger needs to already be in the "swipe" motion when I "touch down" on the dark screen at the bottom.
jynclr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:09 AM   #9
tomh
tomh doesn't littertomh doesn't litter

Device: Nexus 7.2, Aura H2O
I wonder if problems in swiping are due to differences in touch pad sensitivity? Don't know, just wondering after seeing Schmots' post.

Of course, it could just be how different people do the swipe, but I don't see further improvement after a lot of practice and there are occasional failures. This is still better than not being able to do it at all when the nook first arrived.
tomh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #10
j5uh
j5uh began at the beginning.

I found that it was rather difficult to turn the pages at first. but than i realized swipping faster makes it work almost every time. don't swipe too slow.
j5uh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:09 PM   #11
Schmots
Connoisseur

Oh one other thing.. don't swipe all the way off the screen. I found that when you do this for scrolling menu's or swiping it decides what you did was an accident.. so lift your finger before you go off hte touch screen
Old 03-29-2010, 01:09 PM   #12
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It took me a few tries before I got the hang of it, but now I almost always swipe. I don't like the feel of the bump on the buttons, a long reading session makes my finger sore, and could lead to *calluses*
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:19 PM   #13
Schmots
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cearbhallain View Post
... don't like the feel of the bump on the buttons, a long reading session makes my finger sore, and could lead to *calluses*
If that is really a problem for you, maybe you should stop reading and maybe plant a garden or something so your paper thin skin can get stronger.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:40 PM   #14
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Device: iphone 4, iPad, Nook softrooted
I use the swipe all the time and works. From 100 page turns with a swipe maybe 2 or 3 wont work.
I made a little video today, so maybe that helps some of you who have problems. I hope, if you actually see, how it is done, maybe you see, what you might do wrong.

Last edited by mos; 03-29-2010 at 02:44 PM.
mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:32 PM   #15
zorro18
zorro18 began at the beginning.

Thanks will watch it tonite as I cant view it from where I'm at now.

Tried again last nite and it didnt work....
zorro18 is offline   Reply With Quote