Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-16-2006, 04:24 PM   #1
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
What size I need to make my PDF's?

See topic ^

Let's say I convert a .DOC to a PDF what size I need to print it in order that it fits perfectly over the whole screen of the Sony Reader. And what size does a JPG need to be to get the same effect?

Thanks!
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:31 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Hey, diabloNL,

I'm thinking the answer to your second question is going to be 800X600, since that's the pixel size of the screen itself. Sony doesn't seem to reserve any screen space for icons, so you should be able to use the whole thing -- unless there's something else going on.

I'll see if I can dig up anything about the PDF size -- I think I worked out the HXW measurements a while back, but they're lying on my desk at work -- that would give us a starting place, anyway. I should have *some* sort of answer some time tomorrow.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2006, 02:35 AM   #3
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Hey, diabloNL,

I'm thinking the answer to your second question is going to be 800X600, since that's the pixel size of the screen itself. Sony doesn't seem to reserve any screen space for icons, so you should be able to use the whole thing -- unless there's something else going on.

I'll see if I can dig up anything about the PDF size -- I think I worked out the HXW measurements a while back, but they're lying on my desk at work -- that would give us a starting place, anyway. I should have *some* sort of answer some time tomorrow.

Thanks! I was also doughting if Sony is using space from that 600x800 resolution for their icons and stuff.

And is ppi the same as dpi?

If the reader has a screen of 35.43" x 47.24" that would mean that the Reader has 16.93 DPI?? Right?? Now I'm stuck :P Help!
Old 07-17-2006, 02:01 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've always interpreted PPI to be the same as DPI. I think they're "Pixels Per Inch" and "Dots Per Inch" respectively, so that ought to be the same.

Working with the pixel counts & PPI numbers I came up with this:
800/170 = 4.7058823529411764705882352941176
600/170 = 3.5294117647058823529411764705882

So, I figure the screen must be pretty close to 4.7 inches by 3.5 inches. (That's 11.9 cm by 8.9 cm for you metric users out there)

As a cross-check, I plugged that into the Pythagorean Theorem, and got a calculated diagonal measurement of 5.86 inches, which is pretty close to the 6 inch diagonal that Sony reports.

Unfortunately, I can't get a firm read on what the best size would be, my information suggests that the font sizes in the original document make a difference, and that you have to play with it a bit to get it just right.

However, I think that the screen dimensions give us a good place to start. If we made a PDF with 4.7X3.5 pages and little or no margins, that ought to be in the right neighborhood. We'll just have to tweak it once one of us MobileReaders gets some hardware to test on.

Last edited by NatCh; 07-17-2006 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:25 PM   #5
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
I've always interpreted PPI to be the same as DPI. I think they're "Pixels Per Inch" and "Dots Per Inch" respectively, so that ought to be the same.

Working with the pixel counts & PPI numbers I came up with this:
800/170 = 4.7058823529411764705882352941176
600/170 = 3.5294117647058823529411764705882

So, I figure the screen must be pretty close to 4.7 inches by 3.5 inches. (That's 11.9 cm by 8.9 cm for you metric users out there)

As a cross-check, I plugged that into the Pythagorean Theorem, and got a calculated diagonal measurement of 5.86 inches, which is pretty close to the 6 inch diagonal that Sony reports.

Unfortunately, I can't get a firm read on what the best size would be, my information suggests that the font sizes in the original document make a difference, and that you have to play with it a bit to get it just right.

However, I think that the screen dimensions give us a good place to start. If we made a PDF with 4.7X3.5 pages and little or no margins, that ought to be in the right neighborhood. We'll just have to tweak it once one of us MobileReaders gets some hardware to test on.
He he I made a calculation mistake with my 16.93 but ok. :P

Anyway, the iLiad has a resolution of 1024x768 but part of that is used for the iconbar. If you say that this is not the case with Sony that would mean the Reader screen is even bigger than described since the 800x600 is for user use. I think that indeed we just have to wait till we have a Reader in our hands. For the time being I'm collecting my ebooks on .doc format so I can go all the ways.

Damn Sony bring that Reader out so we can play, play that is!
Advert
Old 07-17-2006, 04:37 PM   #6
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
Quote:
E Ink specifies their 800x600 display at 90.6 x 122.4 mm, with a 152.3 mm (6 inches) diagonal. Pixels aren't quite square: 151 x 153 micron.

The handling of the 4:3 size will be interesting: Adobe has recommended 3:2 for eBooks for some time. I wonder how well the reader will handle a 3:2 page on a 4:3 screen.
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 04:47 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ath
E Ink specifies their 800x600 display at 90.6 x 122.4 mm, with a 152.3 mm (6 inches) diagonal. Pixels aren't quite square: 151 x 153 micron.
Oho. That may explain why my measurements of the pictures (calculated against the overall dimensions) suggested something closer to 3 5/8 by 4 13/16 inches.

I'm hoping to dig up some more reliable numbers, I'll share them if I can.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:55 AM   #8
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))
TaKir is on a distinguished road

Device: Lbook V8 & V3_Vizplex
In Lbook/Jinke V8 the screen is 92x123mm. I've checked it for you right now. ))
I think the same will be in Sony Reader.

All the screen area in Lbook/Jinke V8 is available for text placing.
Status bar fnd bookmarks bar take some area (about 3mm from left and 7mm from bottom). But they are always hidden by default, you can see it pressing special button.
TaKir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 05:53 AM   #9
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaKir

Status bar fnd bookmarks bar take some area (about 3mm from left and 7mm from bottom). But they are always hidden by default, you can see it pressing special button.
Your right because I've seen pictures with and without statusbar. Cool. Thanks TaKir!
Old 07-18-2006, 11:59 AM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaKir

Thanks, Takir. I'm also working with the assumption that they screen should be the same on the HanLin and the Sony. Unless one of them did something bizarre your measurements ought to be pretty darned close, I'm thinking.

I'm pretty sure that the Sony Reader doesn't reserve any screen space for Icons -- I don't know about "pop-out" icons, though, I hadn't realized that the HanLin did that.

You know, considering the whitespace-at-the-edge-of-the-text issue, maybe that white case of Jinke's is a better idea than I first thought....