Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-10-2008, 01:55 PM   #1
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Talking 100,000+ Sony Readers sold in UK?

According to Sara Lloyd's blog at panmacmillan,

Quote:
Anecdotally, Waterstones store staff report a great deal of interest from customers, and the rumour mills (or well-planned leak??) put a 6 figure number on the Sony Readers sold by the morning of Thursday 4th September.
She also wrote:

Quote:
As I’m sure all of those working in the digital publishing departments of trade publishing houses will agree, it’s nice finally to have a major high street bookselling brand pitch itself into the ebook ring so wholeheartedly – and the Sony device is the most compelling (and competitively priced) there is of the dedicated devices so far available here in the UK. I must say it did make my heart leap just a little bit to see huge POS displays promoting the Sony Reader and the associated ebook catalogue from Waterstones in the Tottenham Court Road and Picadilly branches, and it was fun to go in and do some underground detective work to discover that the Waterstones staff seemed quite clued up about it all.

There has certainly been an uplift on direct sales of ebooks from our own web site over the weekend, although this may well have something to do with our our promotion of eight non-drm’d SF books which started last week.
Lloyd's The Digitalist blog is available here: http://thedigitalist.net/?p=220

Related: A UK publisher is happy with Waterstones ebook sales, Waterstones Ebook store to Launch midday 04/09/08
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:54 PM   #2
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
According to Waterstone's staff, each store was sent four readers plus the demo model - no doubt flagship stores had more. Waterstones have 330 stores according to Wikipedia. Sales through stores possibly 3000, or a wildly extravagant 5000. That means 95,000 through the website...

100K sales means roughly one in every 250 households in the UK bought one by the first morning of the launch. I don't think so. And if there really were 100K new ebook purchasers around I suspect that rather than experiencing 'uplift' her website would have exploded.

Prepared to eat my hat but I suspect a nought has been added to the sales figure somewhere along the line.
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
charlieperry
Connoisseur
charlieperry doesn't littercharlieperry doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
That does seem a lot to me. I'm sure that figures like that are achievable though.
charlieperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:57 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argel View Post
And if there really were 100K new ebook purchasers around I suspect that rather than experiencing 'uplift' her website would have exploded.
Seems more likely the "6-figure" amount quoted referred to money collected, not number of readers.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:19 AM   #5
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
How many did they actually sell via the web though?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2008, 05:32 AM   #6
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
How many did they actually sell via the web though?
Well if Fizzy is right and the 100K refers to revenue, then 100K/200 = 5000 sold. That would sound like a realistic start to me.
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:34 AM   #7
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, K2i, iPad 64GB+3G, K3, Nexus S
Quote:
According to Waterstone's staff, each store was sent four readers plus the demo model - no doubt flagship stores had more. Waterstones have 330 stores according to Wikipedia. Sales through stores possibly 3000, or a wildly extravagant 5000. That means 95,000 through the website...
The Middlesbrough branch (Doubtful it's a flagship store) got 15 readers on launch day and sold them all.
Flub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:41 AM   #8
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Quote:
Well if Fizzy is right and the 100K refers to revenue, then 100K/200 = 5000 sold. That would sound like a realistic start to me.

dont you mean 500?

oops
Old 09-11-2008, 07:07 AM   #9
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Most probably they're not all from UK. I could imagine a lot of european want to get one from waterstone. As european guarantee is much easier than sending a defective one to america for repair.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:58 AM   #10
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
sonystyle.co.uk told me they had in 5000 and all were sold on pre-order........I know my 2 local waterstones branches had around 8 and 14 and they all sold within 3 days.
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:55 AM   #11
nathantw
Zealot
nathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litter

Device: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
According to Sara Lloyd's blog at panmacmillan,
Looking at the quote, what exactly does "POS" stand for? Is it what I thought it stood for?
nathantw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:00 AM   #12
CaptainIncognito
CaptainIncognito began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathantw View Post
Looking at the quote, what exactly does "POS" stand for? Is it what I thought it stood for?

Point of Sale I would assume...
CaptainIncognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:00 AM   #13
nathantw
Zealot
nathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litter

Device: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainIncognito View Post
Point of Sale I would assume...
AH! Totally different than what I thought it was.
nathantw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:01 AM   #14
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathantw View Post
AH! Totally different than what I thought it was.
Piece of poo?
Old 09-11-2008, 12:54 PM   #15
SilverBullit
SilverBullit began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook
Thats sooo not true! I heared from an inside contact at Waterstone that they only had 70 sony ereaders on pre-order.

Good marketing btw
SilverBullit is offline   Reply With Quote