Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Should Amazon build a larger e-ink ereader?
Yes absolutely. I would buy and use it. 48 48.00%
Yes, competition is good, but I wouldn’t use it. 19 19.00%
No, I'm not not interested. 33 33.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-20-2016, 11:57 AM   #1
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
User interest: Kindle Long Voyage

Ever since I returned my Aura One, I've been longing for an ereader that is not only large in size (and has affordable yet useful hardware) but has stable software and a great ecosystem too!
What do you think: Should Amazon build a larger (around 8 inch) size reader and would you buy and use it?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:27 PM   #2
Silverty
Connoisseur
Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O2
Seeing what the prices are for their 'special' ereaders like Voyage and Oasis, I couldn't afford it if Kindle made a larger ereader. I'd rather they just updated PW3 with ComfortLight Pro or something. Lol
Silverty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2016, 02:40 PM   #3
Shinytop
Connoisseur
Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Oasis
If it followed the ergonomics of the Oasis I would buy in a second.
Shinytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:26 PM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
If it was a nice, plain symmetrical rectangle, and I could afford it, yes!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:36 PM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Look at the NEW 8" Tablet! Not big enough try the 10" Tablet! So you see they already do!!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2016, 03:46 PM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Look at the NEW 8" Tablet! Not big enough try the 10" Tablet! So you see they already do!!
They are not e-ink ereaders so really don't count.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:16 PM   #7
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
They'll just price it way too high and I won't buy it, but sure, why not?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:06 PM   #8
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Yes I would like one. If it's expensive, to me anyway, I'd wait till it went on sale.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:31 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given how much the Oasis costs, I would expect a larger screen eInk Kindle to need you to take out a second mortgage.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:46 PM   #10
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given how much the Oasis costs, I would expect a larger screen eInk Kindle to need you to take out a second mortgage.
True ! In that case lets hope it's a Voyage !
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:05 PM   #11
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I think choice is good. Not sure why they've settled on 6" as being the defacto standard, I think they could introduce a 7" and 8" version of the kindle and they would both sell.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:19 PM   #12
frenshprince
Connoisseur
frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW3, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo HD
I have the Aura One and really like it.
But I really miss the contrast and sharpness of my perfect Kindle Voyage.
The reactivity when you highlight as well. And don't talk about the terrible kobo french dictionnary.

So yes, If Amazon releases a KV 8 inches, I'll be the first to buy one.

Therefore, I really hope Amazon'll improve some points where kobos are better, like :
- Spacing lines. Even the narrower is too large
- "Search in google". So usefull
- reading stats

I dont't care about the price if the Ereader fills all my need.

Last edited by frenshprince; 09-20-2016 at 06:25 PM.
frenshprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:07 PM   #13
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
I think choice is good. Not sure why they've settled on 6" as being the defacto standard, I think they could introduce a 7" and 8" version of the kindle and they would both sell.

Cause Hardly anyone got a DX.... So they already had Bigger e-readers.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:10 PM   #14
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Cause Hardly anyone got a DX.... So they already had Bigger e-readers.
How big was the Dx?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:21 PM   #15
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I think the DX was 9.7". It was also very expensive. As I recall it was over twice as much as the normal Kindle of that day. I just googled it. It was $489 at introduction and the Kindle 3 was $139 at introduction.

At the time it was the only large e-ink ereader and now people are getting more used to the idea of a little larger screen.

I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon came out with a 7" or 8" Kindle at some point since there seems to be a market. I doubt they'll feel pressured to do that to compete with Kobo but they might see the Aura One's success, if it is successful, as an opportunity.

Of course Amazon is full of surprises so guessing what they might do is just that; guessing.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote