Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-16-2008, 11:03 AM   #1
noxxle
Enthusiast
noxxle began at the beginning.

How much will shipping end up costing if you need a repair?

I am very interested in the Cybook, but I am afraid the warranty is almost useless for me. If I needed to have my device repaired, I would have to pay shipping fees. Currently, bookeen is charging 33 dollars to have this the gen3 shipped to America. When sending your device in for repairs, how long does it usually take and must the consumer pay for shipping both ways? If the consumer pays for all shippings fees that could mean paying over 60 dollars for a simple repair.
noxxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:13 AM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by noxxle View Post
I am very interested in the Cybook, but I am afraid the warranty is almost useless for me. If I needed to have my device repaired, I would have to pay shipping fees. Currently, bookeen is charging 33 dollars to have this the gen3 shipped to America. When sending your device in for repairs, how long does it usually take and must the consumer pay for shipping both ways? If the consumer pays for all shippings fees that could mean paying over 60 dollars for a simple repair.
You'll have to pay shipping - and that's going to be high for any shipment using a fast delivery time. Sorry, that's just the way it works when shipping from here in the US to France. I've been hit up twice now. (And I made the mistake of using FedEx - *REGULAR*, not the 'guaranteed to get there "tomorrow" rate - from here in California to Bookeen, one time. ONE HUNDRED FORTY-SEVEN DOLLARS! One way! And it still took eight days to arrive!) So if you have to send it, do so USPS International Priority or use UPS.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2008, 11:29 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just to clarify. You pay the shipping to send your device to Bookeen. Provided it's a warranty repair, they pay the shipping to send it back to you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:35 PM   #4
dwbryant2000
Enthusiast
dwbryant2000 began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise 1150, Gen 3, BEBOOK, ILIAD BOOK READER
I sent mine back by air mail (wife made a mistake when mailing) and it took a month to get there. I was required to pay $85 but that was because I think I broke the SD slot. When they mailed it back I get just like originally in 2 days.
Priorty package to them was going to be less than $30 but airmail was just $15. I live in Central Arkansas in the US. David
dwbryant2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:42 PM   #5
noxxle
Enthusiast
noxxle began at the beginning.

If purchased in the US from either NAEB or Books On Board, do I still have to ship overseas?

*edit* I just noticed Books On Board offers extended warranties... How is that going to work? I dont think Bookeen even offers that. What if the device fails after Bookeen stops producing the Gen3?
noxxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2008, 12:45 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can't speak for BoB, but with NAEB you return your CyBook directly to Bookeen in France for repair.

I really shouldn't get too worried. Provided you look after your CyBook, and don't drop it (like Derek did ) the chance of it needing repair are pretty low.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:20 PM   #7
solodoc
Connoisseur
solodoc began at the beginning.

Device: CybookG3...
Yeah thats true...it does have

I did get one that lasted 4 days...but they are around 10 % from the polls..I could be wrong!
solodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:23 PM   #8
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxxle View Post
If purchased in the US from either NAEB or Books On Board, do I still have to ship overseas?

*edit* I just noticed Books On Board offers extended warranties... How is that going to work? I dont think Bookeen even offers that. What if the device fails after Bookeen stops producing the Gen3?
Yes. We at NAEB *sell* the Cybook. We don't have the facilities (nor the permission) to *fix* the Cybook. So sending it to us and having us forward it on just adds to the time delay.

Derek
Old 05-16-2008, 04:36 PM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Yes. We at NAEB *sell* the Cybook. We don't have the facilities (nor the permission) to *fix* the Cybook. So sending it to us and having us forward it on just adds to the time delay.
So there are no laws that says that the seller has to handle things so you just send it to the seller which usually is much cheaper? In EU I think the laws or regulations says that the seller must handle warranty things.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:47 PM   #10
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
So there are no laws that says that the seller has to handle things so you just send it to the seller which usually is much cheaper? In EU I think the laws or regulations says that the seller must handle warranty things.
Tompe,

Why would you want to want us to handle it? You'd have to ship to us, wait while we get an RMA from Bookeen, (and pay us whatever it will cost us to ship to Bookeen), wait for Bookeen to ship back to us, and pay us to cover the cost to ship back to you? *WE* don't make enough on each sale to cover the expense of forwarding on to Bookeen and then forwarding back to you, so that expense would *have* to be borne by you, the customer. Further, by forcing us to be the intermediary, you'd be adding in significant time delays.

Far better to let the customer ship direct to Bookeen.

Besides, we're a US-based company. We don't operate under EU laws.

Derek
Old 05-16-2008, 04:52 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
There's no such laws in the US... and I'm glad. I can't image how much it would add to the cost of retail goods. Most retailers here will exchange a DOA product if it is within the first 30 days. Other than that, you deal with the warranty provider, which is usually the manufacturer.

Sometimes the retailer is also an "authorized" repair center. In that case they will handle it. This is generally true of car dealerships and other larger ticket items that usually are worth getting fixed vs replaced. Also a place like Best Buy which sells home electronics is a "warranty" center too, but they usually are just an agent for the manufacturer.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:42 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
That's not true in the UK. Generally here the retailer is responsible for exchanging or refunding the money for a faulty product for - I think - 7 days after purchase, but after that you send it back to the manufacturer.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:57 AM   #13
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I'm no expert, but it may be worth checking if any household contents insurance policy you have would cover the expense of repair/replacement should it become necessary.
A guy I know in insurance in the UK says a lot of policy holders don't make claims they're entitled to.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:07 AM   #14
momghoti
Zealot
momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Bookeen
Well, I don't know what the cybook would be classified as. We have an electronics rider on our homeowners that takes care of computers even if its our fault--spill coffee on it or something. But, I think it has a $500 deductible, so even if the cybook qualifies it wouldn't help.
momghoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:58 AM   #15
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's not true in the UK. Generally here the retailer is responsible for exchanging or refunding the money for a faulty product for - I think - 7 days after purchase, but after that you send it back to the manufacturer.
So for warranty repeair (the warranty given by the shop) the shop can tell you to send it to another country and you have to pay the insurance and postage for sending it?

I found one web page that said about the EU law:
Quote:
The law requires the seller to make things right free of charge—including "the cost of postage, labor and materials." And the retailer is responsible even if the problem is the producer's fault—although the seller can "pursue remedies against the person or persons liable in the contractual chain."
And that is one reason they want to sell the insurance because it eliminates the cost for the retailer.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote