Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-23-2010, 11:25 AM   #16
Goshzilla
Zealot
Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket Ebook 1150
Alright, so using the "official" version, the same issues are present. Highlighting and word look up is broken. Page turning has improved remarkably. Scrolling has improved, I can now "flick" through a large book's table of contents, rather than having to tediously scroll five lines at a time.
Goshzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:30 AM   #17
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
On the B&N website they say

"A number of additional enhancements are included with this new software release designed to optimize NOOK's performance - giving you fast and convenient access to the content you want, including speedier page turns and improved opening of eBooks."

Nowhere on their site can I find any additional enhancements except speedier page turns and improved opening of eBooks. Does anyone know what other performance enhancements there are?

~eddie
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2010, 11:39 AM   #18
Goshzilla
Zealot
Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket Ebook 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
On the B&N website they say

"A number of additional enhancements are included with this new software release designed to optimize NOOK's performance - giving you fast and convenient access to the content you want, including speedier page turns and improved opening of eBooks."

Nowhere on their site can I find any additional enhancements except speedier page turns and improved opening of eBooks. Does anyone know what other performance enhancements there are?

~eddie
Well, it does have quicker highlighting and word selection. Problem is that on some ebooks it won't work at all. There is now a dictionary word look up feature where you can type out a word to look up, rather than having to select it off the page.

It also has a quicker way to scroll through the book's table of contents, you can now swipe across the screen and it will scroll through the table of contents in a way similar to a mouse wheel.
Goshzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:49 PM   #19
javajoe96
javajoe96 began at the beginning.

Device: Barnes & Noble Nook, Sony PRS-700
To better fit a webpage into the nook screen use the zoom in button on the browser menu and you can zoom out and fit the width of the page on the nook screen but text will be small.
javajoe96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:15 PM   #20
questionfear
Connoisseur
questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
How does the nook web browser compare to the Kindle's? better? worse?
questionfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2010, 01:27 AM   #21
javajoe96
javajoe96 began at the beginning.

Device: Barnes & Noble Nook, Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by questionfear View Post
How does the nook web browser compare to the Kindle's? better? worse?
I have never used a kindle so I can not tell you. But I like the nook's browser quite a bit, especially when you use the zoom out feature so you can view the whole width of a page and you use the touch screen to scroll down. It would be nice to able change the orientation of the browser to landscape also the box that appears on the e-ink screen needs to have a much thinner border so that it does not cover up words and you have to use the touch scroll to move it just to keep reading. Not a huge deal, just a slight annoyance.

Maybe in the next verion of the browser it will give you the option when you come upon a book in a nook supported file format, like epub, that you could add it to your library.
javajoe96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:58 AM   #22
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshzilla View Post
Well, it does have quicker highlighting and word selection. Problem is that on some ebooks it won't work at all. There is now a dictionary word look up feature where you can type out a word to look up, rather than having to select it off the page.

It also has a quicker way to scroll through the book's table of contents, you can now swipe across the screen and it will scroll through the table of contents in a way similar to a mouse wheel.
Thanks
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:09 PM   #23
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
I like my nook more than Kindle for several reasons. I don't like Kindle's keypad, it's lack of SD card and battery replacement option. I also like nook's reading fonts better and the epub option. Amazon has more books and a better system of keeping track of your reading across devices (I can read the same book on laptop, kindle, or iphone and can pick up last page read without problems but can't do that on nook/laptop/iphone and this is very frustrating).
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
b&n, barnes & noble, firmware, nook