Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-13-2009, 02:45 PM   #1
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Fraction of ebooks vs paper books read?

I'm sure this question has already been discussed somewhere in these forums, but can't find where: I'm interested in knowing what fraction of the books people read are ebooks, and what fraction are paper books.

Is there such a thread and does anybody know where to find it?

(as for myself, after receiving very helpful feedback in the 'Which device should I buy' forum, I'm the lucky owner of a brand new cybook and I've read a grand total of 1 book with it, and I have little idea what my habits will be in the future.)

Thanks!
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Out of what I read, 78% are ebooks and the rest are paper (most of that is library).

As for the rest of the world...I have no idea
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i won't say anything now but i bet i can guess what most people's answers will be. this seems like a good candidate for a poll, why not add one ? you could provide answers in percentages like 0-10, 10-20, etc. and don't forget to add an answer "just show me the results".
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
I don't read many paper books. My vision is crummy so I have to use a magnifier (handheld or CCTV), and that gets tiring. Large print books are very heavy and too big to fit in my pocket. Over the past few years, most of my reading has been listening to unabridged audiobooks, mostly from NLS.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
For the past 15 months I've been 100% ebooks.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Right now the only physical books I read are ones that are graphically oriented. And that's just because the portable devices I've used aren't entirely satisfactory in this area (my Phone is too small, and eInk has only a limited number of shades of gray). The next generation of readers look to improve things in this area.

So I guess probably around 90-95% electronic.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:00 PM   #7
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
around 75% electronic I'd say, as I'm reading a few books that een if they are available as ebooks I wouldn't want as ebooks (sacrilege and heresy, I know ) - I really don't want food or hot bits of metal on my reader...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:38 AM   #8
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
In the past year it has been 140+ ebooks, 1 pbook.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:38 AM   #9
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Around 75% pbook, I reckon.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:16 AM   #10
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
Not a lot. Less than 20% I'd think. I only buy paper books if;
1. I can't get an e version
2. I'm getting a hardback for the look of it
3. There's an author signing coming up
4. It's for my husband who refuses to even try an ebook
5. It's one of my very favourite authors and I can't even wait 2 weeks for the e release (e.g. Promises in Death J.D. Robb)

Laine
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:37 AM   #11
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
2008 was the first full year I owned my Sony. Since I keep a list of books I've read, in 2008 I read (if my math is right)......

11 pbooks = 15%
and
62 ebooks = 85%
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:09 AM   #12
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
this seems like a good candidate for a poll, why not add one ? you could provide answers in percentages like 0-10, 10-20, etc. and don't forget to add an answer "just show me the results".
Actually I was kind of convinced there were a lot of polls of this type lying around, so I was hesitant to start a new one
(and now it looks like it's not possible to add a poll to an existing thread, so it's too late)

I'm impressed with the number of people reading only ebooks or a very small fraction of paper books. But then I'm french, and though I read a lot of books in english I also read a fair number of french books, and few of these semm to be available as ebooks. So to go 100% ebooks I really would have to choose what I read based on the fact that it's available as ebooks, rather than read what I want to read. This constraint must be lighter for people reading only in english.
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:51 AM   #13
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Since getting my Cybook in 2008, all but one book has been in e-format (the one time I had to read paper was when the Cybook was ill and in transit between me and Paris).
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:09 AM   #14
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
There is a very similar thread in Reading Recommendations. I said there that apart from technical books I've only ready one print book versus 100+ ebooks since I got my Cybook several months ago. The print book was bought by my wife for my birthday, and is not available as an ebook.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:33 AM   #15
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I read about 95% ebooks and 5% paper books. I read most of my magazines in paper though; they just aren't the same in black and white.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote