Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Kindle 3 keyboard crack in plastic: AMAZON UNRESPONSIVE TO ANY SOLUTION

My Kindle 3 has now suffered a stress crack. It does not affect functionality, but I would like to know what choices I have in getting this remedied, especially since I am now in the U.S. for about 13 more days.

Thanks.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-26-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Contact Kindle (Kindle not Amazon) Customer Support and see what they say.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200127470
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
manou
Grand Seamstress
manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, iPhone, iPad
When that happened to my dearly beloved(out of warranty) Kindle Keyboard about 2 months ago, Amazon offered me US$ 20.- towards the purchase of a basic no touch Kindle or US$ 50.- towards a Kindle Keyboard 3G. I took the latter option.
manou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Mine was still under warranty at the time and they sent me a new one without any hassles. It's a definite known issue, or at least the rep I talked to at the time knew exactly what I was talking about.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:57 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, everyone.

I'll try to contact them today.

Don
Old 12-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Here are the results of talking to a courteous Kindle representative:

Me:My Kindle 3g (keyboard) has developed a crack - about 3/4 of an inch, along one of the letters on the keyboard. T

Prashant:Hello Donald, my name is Prashant. I'm sorry to hear that your Kindle keyboard is damaged.

Me:Thank you. To be clear: I did not, however, damage it.

Prashant:Can you remember if the Kindle was dropped anytime or any physical pressure got applied on the device that might have caused this?

Me:No. I guard this thing very, very carefully. This is a KNOWN problem. (Also, if you'll check my history, you'll see that I've purchased plenty of Kindles - and with no previous problems.)
--- The only physical pressure is holding the device.

Prashant:Physical damages to the keyboard are very rare issues.
We will still be happy to replace your Kindle.
Even though your Kindle is no longer covered under the 1-year warranty, we will be able to create the replacement for a discounted price plus shipping.

Me:They may be very rare, based upon the millions sold. However, I am a Moderator at Mobileread.com, and we have a thread on this known issue.

Prashant:Also, you can have your replacement upgraded to a Kindle Touch, with 1-Year warranty.

Me:I HAVE a Kindle touch - a Paperwhite. Again, please check my purchase history. I'm not one to casually want replacements. This one, however, is faulty.

Prashant:I've checked your account and we do appreciate your business, Donald.
Please understand, the device is currently out of warranty, hence, we are unable to issue a free replacement.

Me:Kindle needs to do something about this stress cracks that have developed on Kindles.
I simply want a replacement for this device.

Prashant:I'll make sure to forward your feedback to our Kindle Team.

Me:I'm afraid I need more of a guarentee (spelling) than that.

Prashant:Would you like me to provide you with the replacement options?

Me:Yes. What are the options available for something that is not my fault?

Prashant:1. Certified Refurbished Kindle Touch, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display - includes Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers - $74
2. Certified Refurbished Kindle Touch 3G (ATT), Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display - includes Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers - $104

Me:This is very unsatisfactory. I shall report this conversation fully with my MobileRead.com readers. --- Remember: this is a known problem. Perhaps you are too new to realize this?

Prashant:Alright. Let me just discuss this with my supervisor, who has been working with Amazon since before me, and check if this is indeed a known problem.
Could you please give me a couple of minutes?

Me:That would be appreciated.
Yes. Thank you.

Prashant:Thank you for being on hold, Donald.

Me:Additional purchase information: My Kindle 3g (with WiFi) was purchased for $250. It includes NO special offers and advertisments, which is certainly more desirable to me.
You're welcome.

Prashant:I just discussed this issue with my supervisor and I'm sorry but this is not a known problem with the devices and we are unable to make any exceptions with the replacement.

Me:As I mentioned, I am a Moderator at MobileRead.com. THIS IS A REPORTED KNOWN ISSUE. I will make this conversation available for dissemination and further discussion. Your supervisor - frankly - is in error.
You've been very courteous, and I appreciate this fact.

Prashant:Thank you.
I do realize this may be disappointing for you and I wish I had better news.

Me:Thank you for your time. Have your supervisor (or the person above him/her) to take a look at our website: MobileRead.com. ---- The Kindle forum is the busiest forum for ebook-reading devices.
------ Goodbye.

Prashant:I'll make sure to forward the forum to our Kindle Team.

Me:Thank you.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #7
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Out of warranty, a crack that, as you say, does NOT affect functionality, but because you're a forum mod, you expect to get special treatment?

Really?

I mean, it's really nice when Amazon goes above and beyond their stated policies and required responsibility, which they seem to do quite a bit, but to expect or demand it?

I'm having a hard time feeling any outrage at their "unresponsiveness" in this case.

Last edited by ApK; 12-26-2012 at 10:45 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
A bead in my screen exploded and destroys the experience for me. Amazon wouldn't do anything about it either, except give me paid replacement options too.

So yeah, that's typical. Just buy a new one. I'm getting a Paperwhite at the next chance I get.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Out of warranty, a crack that, as you say, does NOT affect functionality, but because you're a forum mod, you expect to get special treatment?

Really?

I mean, it's really nice when Amazon goes above and beyond their stated policies and required responsibility, which they seem to do quite a bit, but to expect or demand it?

I'm having a hard time feeling any outrage at their "unresponsiveness" in this case.

...only in the sense that I may be able to bring more attention to this issue as a Moderator.

Don
Old 12-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
A bead in my screen exploded and destroys the experience for me. Amazon wouldn't do anything about it either, except give me paid replacement options too.

So yeah, that's typical. Just buy a new one. I'm getting a Paperwhite at the next chance I get.

I have bought a new - about one month ago - a wonderful Kindle Paperwhite.

Don
Old 12-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #11
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Out of Warrenty Yet they Offered you a replacement at Reduced price.... So What are you griping about?
My K3 has been out of warrenty since it was 6 months old! It now 15 months old! Knock on wood still going strong! No cracks scrapes or anything else wrong! So no not all have problems. Those that do could still be considered a RARE problem Sales vs How many have been reported & replaced! You cant go by how many come here & Amazons Forum & complain LOL Too Many DONT Complain cause there is Nothing wrong LOL
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Where actually is the crack, Don? The known fault is to get a crack radiating from one of the corners of the screen bezel. Is that where yours is?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Out of Warrenty Yet they Offered you a replacement at Reduced price.... So What are you griping about?
My K3 has been out of warrenty since it was 6 months old! It now 15 months old! Knock on wood still going strong! No cracks scrapes or anything else wrong! So no not all have problems. Those that do could still be considered a RARE problem Sales vs How many have been reported & replaced! You cant go by how many come here & Amazons Forum & complain LOL Too Many DONT Complain cause there is Nothing wrong LOL

I believe they offered one with special offers, which mine did not have. I think the price they quoted was the normal price. (I could be wrong on this, however. I have yet to check.)

Mine was also a 3g unit.

ADDED: ---- By no means do all of them have problems. However, it IS a known problem, reported in places other than MobileRead.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-26-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Where actually is the crack, Don? The known fault is to get a crack radiating from one of the corners of the screen bezel. Is that where yours is?

It's begins on one of the rows of letters on the left side of the keyboard, and then radiates out and down.

STRIKE THAT: It's on the bottom left of the screen bezel and radiates out and down toward the keyboard.

Don
Old 12-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Haven't come across that one before, but I agree that it's the kind of thing that shouldn't occur in normal usage.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote