Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-22-2009, 08:36 PM   #1
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
New Firefly Movie :)

Okay, don't get too excited fellow Browncoats, but at the end of Gnomedex09 a new fan created Firefly movie was announced. It has the blessing of Joss Whedon and the studios and will be released in 2010.

Go http://browncoatsmovie.com/ to find out more

article in Fantasy Magazine: http://www.darkfantasy.org/fantasy/?p=4862

Take my love,
take my land,
take me where I cannot stand.

I don't care,
I'm still free,
you can't take the sky from me.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:49 AM   #2
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Shiny!
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2009, 01:06 AM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Spectacular news. I've listened to and read a bunch of fanfic audio and written episodes, and even love that stuff (some of it is really good). And there's a writer that did an e-book in that 'verse which was great. Another movie would be awesome. I'll have to watch my DVD set again before the movie coes out.

Btw, I love the show Castle also - has the guy that played the captain. So many people from that show did other good stuff. The sister was the terminator robot in Sara Conner Chr and Jayne is in Chuck etc.

Thks for the tip!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:19 AM   #4
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I admit I was skeptical when I realized it was a fan film, but they really seem to have gone all out, and Whedon has given it his ok, so I'm interested in seeing what they've done/are doing (filming is complete, but they still need to do the editing and cgi).
Old 08-23-2009, 01:26 AM   #5
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I admit I was skeptical when I realized it was a fan film, but they really seem to have gone all out, and Whedon has given it his ok, so I'm interested in seeing what they've done/are doing (filming is complete, but they still need to do the editing and cgi).
I lost my scepticism about 'fan' films around about the time I saw a slew of 'fan' films made after Episode 1: The Phantom Menace, and most of those 'fan' films were better
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2009, 06:15 AM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
ooooohhhh! definitely shiny
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:02 AM   #7
kwjones
Groupie
kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Motorola Droid
I hope Jayne brings back his cunning hat.
kwjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:35 AM   #8
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FYI, for anyone interested, there's a lot of Firefly action and fan created content. Many are of surprisingly excellent quality. Here's a summary of what I aware of (in addition to the main item in this thread).

An excellent book...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20200

Audio productions
http://sonic.libsyn.com/index.php?post_category=Firefly
http://www.talesfromtheverse.com/ (just a podcast reading of their episodes)

Extended scripts/written episodes for fan created seasons
http://www.firefly-tvs.com/
http://www.stillflying.net/index.php?page=seasons

And a couple of fan created shows seems to still be progressing very slowly...
http://thebellflower.com/
www.intotheblack.ca

And, of course, the movie from above...
http://browncoatsmovie.com/
Old 08-23-2009, 01:07 PM   #9
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
In the past there have been so many stories about this happening, I hope this one finally happens. As Neko said, "shiny."
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:06 PM   #10
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

I'm not sure the book really counts as fan fiction. Steven Brust has over a dozen books in print and was approached by Whedon's producers (or someone like that) to write the novel... then the contract fell through and Brust was left with a complete novel and no way to publish it commercially.

That being said, yeah, I agree "Fandom Menace" makes fan fiction and movies look good by comparison.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:06 PM   #11
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I'm not sure the book really counts as fan fiction. Steven Brust has over a dozen books in print and was approached by Whedon's producers (or someone like that) to write the novel... then the contract fell through and Brust was left with a complete novel and no way to publish it commercially.
Yes, that's a very good distinction. The book is excellent by commercial standards, and he really captures the Firefly "feel". I included it here more because it's additional material for Firefly, but not the original series of or official movies. But your point is well-taken and I probably owe Steven Brust an apology for grouping his novel together with such things.

These fan productions do always seem to be much harder and longer and more work than expected. It's not easy to do quality writing or audio or movies! But I hope multiple groups to finish their work, even if we still have some waiting to do!

Last edited by Bob Russell; 08-24-2009 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-23-2009, 08:25 PM   #12
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Thanks for the firefly fan links, Bob! Lots of shiny Firefly things here.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:26 PM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Okay, don't get too excited fellow Browncoats, but at the end of Gnomedex09 a new fan created Firefly movie was announced. It has the blessing of Joss Whedon and the studios and will be released in 2010.

Go http://browncoatsmovie.com/ to find out more

article in Fantasy Magazine: http://www.darkfantasy.org/fantasy/?p=4862

Take my love,
take my land,
take me where I cannot stand.

I don't care,
I'm still free,
you can't take the sky from me.
Glänzend.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:47 AM   #14
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
But your point is well-taken and I probably owe Steven Brust an apology for grouping his novel together with such things.
That being said, Brust is a Firefly fan.