Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-18-2009, 01:46 PM   #91
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by soilwork View Post
If the screen is more durable, we don't need so many ifs (including common sense and decent cover) to keep the screen intact.
Those ifs don't seem to be a big issue though since there don't seem to be many cases of anybody really having a problem.

I agree with the idea that plastic screens have advantages. However, you see a lot of manufacturers for plastic screen devices make overblown statements for how delicate glass screens are (not just picking on Robertb, lots of them do it). I don't think the glass screens are nearly as prone to breaking as some people assume they are. Real world experience (demonstrators tossing devices on the floor aside) seems to indicate that there's not a significant problem.

Last edited by Shaggy; 06-18-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:54 PM   #92
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
I don't think anyone will drop the device to the floor intentionally but it can happen accidentally.

Let me ask you a question, if you can choose a device
a) that breaks when dropped to the floor by accident
b) that does not break when dropped to the floor by accident.
will you still choose a) instead of b)? If some companies are working on b), I think it will be better than a).

As I posted above, I am not denying that the big-screen reader is useful the way it is for most people. I am claiming it will be more useful for more people with flexible screen.
I pick the one with the best contrast. Period. I am not one for dropping expensive electronics on the floor, or trying to twist them, or even leaving them out for the cats to pee on (which is the most likely form of abuse at this house).

That said, I have dropped my iPhone many many MANY times. That has a glass screen, and nothing has ever happened. It took hitting a big rig truck at 70 mph to damage my iPhone screen, and I have a feeling that an impact like that would also do significant damage to a plastic screen.

So, having a plastic screen as opposed to a glass screen means absolutely zip to me personally. It's not even on the long list of what I look for in an electronic reading device. Wouldn't even rate a line in my review.

However, other people have other needs, worries .... are amazingly accident prone, and regularly kill whatever electronics they have. So, maybe it's an important feature for them. Whatever floats your boat, you know??
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2009, 02:10 PM   #93
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Maybe I was not very clear so far but iPod LCD glass screen is different from glass substrate beneath e-ink screen. I think the durability of iPod LCD screen is irrelevant when discussing durability of e-ink screen with glass substrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
However, other people have other needs, worries .... are amazingly accident prone, and regularly kill whatever electronics they have. So, maybe it's an important feature for them. Whatever floats your boat, you know??
I agree with you there. It depends on your risk perception. I am also very careful with my gadgets and I rarely drop them. However, I will feel more comfortable carrying durable products rather than less durable ones. However, you may feel different.

It is quite interesting though. If two products have the same contrast and characteristics, would you still choose less durable ones than more durable ones?
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:27 PM   #94
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
I am careful too

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I pick the one with the best contrast. Period. I am not one for dropping expensive electronics on the floor, or trying to twist them, or even leaving them out for the cats to pee on (which is the most likely form of abuse at this house).

That said, I have dropped my iPhone many many MANY times. That has a glass screen, and nothing has ever happened. It took hitting a big rig truck at 70 mph to damage my iPhone screen, and I have a feeling that an impact like that would also do significant damage to a plastic screen.

So, having a plastic screen as opposed to a glass screen means absolutely zip to me personally. It's not even on the long list of what I look for in an electronic reading device. Wouldn't even rate a line in my review.

Dear All:

I understand. I am careful too with my Astak EZ Reader. I also understand about resolution and best contrast (reason Astak does not yet have a Touchscreen out). BUT... you should see some of the returns we get from FRY's electronics from their customers. Almost none are defective machines, but people actually sit on their devices. They drop them out 5 story apartment windows. They throw them in a duffle bag with dirty underware and let the airlines handle the bag. YOU would not do that and either would I... but a large percentage DO. The returns with thoroughly smashed screens is heartbreaking to see.

And, like you, I have passed my device around a jet I was taking and had 2-3 people drop it on the floor accidentally... or at a Trade Show where it fell off counters. YES... we take great care of our devices you and I... but accidents happen and it only takes one.

If the Flexi device actually costs less and has just as good resolution... it may be a great way to go.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:33 PM   #95
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

CLEARLY an invisible minefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
some days do you feel like you are tip-toeing around in the mine field you create but lost the map for?

Nice explanation btw...about time too...
Yes, a lot. If it is not an offended forum member it is my boss telling me I give out too much info. So, I have heeded your advice and try to just give info without saying bad about any other device. It is a thin line sometimes and hard to resist crossing over.
Advert
Old 06-18-2009, 02:35 PM   #96
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear All:

I understand. I am careful too with my Astak EZ Reader. I also understand about resolution and best contrast (reason Astak does not yet have a Touchscreen out). BUT... you should see some of the returns we get from FRY's electronics from their customers. Almost none are defective machines, but people actually sit on their devices. They drop them out 5 story apartment windows. They throw them in a duffle bag with dirty underware and let the airlines handle the bag. YOU would not do that and either would I... but a large percentage DO. The returns with thoroughly smashed screens is heartbreaking to see.

And, like you, I have passed my device around a jet I was taking and had 2-3 people drop it on the floor accidentally... or at a Trade Show where it fell off counters. YES... we take great care of our devices you and I... but accidents happen and it only takes one.

If the Flexi device actually costs less and has just as good resolution... it may be a great way to go.
The quality of the resolution is your opinion. It may be a great way to go ... or it may not. It's all in what the consumer wants in their device, and that includes content and other features.

As noted, glass vs. plastic, not even on my long list, much less on the short one.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:37 PM   #97
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't think anyone will drop the device to the floor intentionally but it can happen accidentally.
How many DR/DX owners do you know of who have broken their screen by accidentally dropping it on the floor?
Old 06-18-2009, 02:40 PM   #98
Robertb

Price of Hanlin V9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungeng1 View Post
Robert B,

What's the price tag of Hanlin V9?

Thanks.
Dear Sungeng:

The Flexi screen will not go into production until Sepetember...meaning the factory cannot make a final prototype until a few weeks later. PRICE?? That will depend on what features are on it and any problems that may pop up.

I can tell you that they hope to bring it in at $399-$449 with a ton of features... but that is conjecture.

You have a great question but an answer is likely three months away.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:42 PM   #99
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
It is quite interesting though. If two products have the same contrast and characteristics, would you still choose less durable ones than more durable ones?
I doubt you're going to see two absolutely identical products except for glass vs plastic. The only way you'd really see that is if one manufacturer made the same product with both versions of the screen. Personally, I would think other features/price would be a bigger factor in the decision than whether it had a glass or plastic screen. That's basically the point I'm trying to make. I don't think the difference is all that significant in everyday use.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:43 PM   #100
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
You expect electronic devices to be regularly thrown on to a hard floor? If this was something that happened frequently, there would be a lot of reports of broken screens. I honestly don't remember seeing any, either on here or over on iRex's own forums. Have you heard of many?
I have by accident dropped my Cybook once and my phone twice on the floor so I expect that items you handle daily in different ways will sooner or later be dropped on the floor.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:47 PM   #101
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
All that is true, but I don't really think there is much of a difference between small glass screens vs large glass screens. To put it in an iRex perspective, which I'm more familiar with... I've seen lots of reports of iLiads (8" screen) with broken screens, but very few (if any) reports of DRs (10" screen). It doesn't appear from that example that the DRs are more prone to breaking than the iLiads, even though they have a larger screen. Yes, glass screens can break from twisting, but I think it has much more to do with the structural support/design of the case than it does with how large the screen is.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:50 PM   #102
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Those ifs don't seem to be a big issue though since there don't seem to be many cases of anybody really having a problem.
I have two paper shredders. One needs oil before use and the other does not. Of course, occasionally applying oil is not a big issue but I would rather not do that and that is why I always use the shredder that does not need oil. Same logic applies here. I usually take care with all my gadgets but I will feel more comfortable with ones requiring less care than those requiring more care.

Quote:
I don't think the glass screens are nearly as prone to breaking as some people assume they are. Real world experience (demonstrators tossing devices on the floor aside) seems to indicate that there's not a significant problem.
If you are claiming that both are not that different in terms of durability under normal usage with reasonable care, yes, I agree with you. If you are claiming that there is no difference in durability under any condition, I think it is simply incorrect.

As I responded to RickyMaveety, how important such extra durability depends you how you perceive the risk. However, your perception/evaluation does not change the fact that there is a difference in durability under some conditions.

Frankly, I am not sure why this is an issue of debate in the first place. If everything else is identical (cost, contrast, ...and so on), more durable ones is strictly better than less durable ones. Let us think about the car safety. The current crop of cars may be safe enough for most people in most cases. However, I don't see any harm in developing safer cars.

Last edited by soilwork; 06-18-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:57 PM   #103
soilwork
useR!

Quote:
I've seen lots of reports of iLiads (8" screen) with broken screens, but very few (if any) reports of DRs (10" screen). It doesn't appear from that example that the DRs are more prone to breaking than the iLiads, even though they have a larger screen.
You are comparing the number of broken screen from DR and iliad. To be correctly compare the durability of two screens, you should compare the ratio of broken screen under the same usage condition.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:03 PM   #104
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
Quote:
You are comparing the number of broken screen from DR and iliad. To be correctly compare the durability of two screens, you should compare the ratio of broken screen under the same usage condition.
I think this debate is pointless as long as there are no statistical data on the number of broken screens in controlled conditions. Estimates based on the responses in fora about broken screens won't stand as a reliable and relevant argument.
But I think that all of us agree that the more durable and more resistant the better, right?
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:04 PM   #105
soilwork
useR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelturd View Post
I think this debate is pointless as long as there are no statistical data on the number of broken screens in controlled conditions. Estimates based on the responses in fora about broken screens won't stand as a reliable and relevant argument.
But I think that all of us agree that the more durable and more resistant the better, right?
That is exactly my point. You expressed it more clearly and in shorter sentences than me