Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-21-2009, 11:28 AM   #16
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
Seriously it is the best scam ever. Here are all of these classic books in the public domain - can't make any money off of them and even if you could no one wants to read them (generalization I know). Slap a few zombie references in every couple of pages and some funny illustrations and you have (a) found a way to take it back out of the public domain and (b) opened up a whole new demographic who will read it because they think it is a zombie story or merely because they like the idea of the humourous desecration of a classic work they were forced to read and intensely disliked at some point in their life. Brilliant. Minimal effort for maximum results - they should be teaching this in business school.

Mel
Scam? It is very good re-mixing. And an example of what we could have much more of if copyright did not hinder the creative work to flow.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:56 PM   #17
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Scam? It is very good re-mixing. And an example of what we could have much more of if copyright did not hinder the creative work to flow.
You are right, "remix" is a much more polite word. I was making a value judgement which others may disagree with that, having read it as well as the original classic, the actual creative effort put into the zombie remix was minimal - a very casual and quick slapping in of the concept of zombies amongst the original text. And the truth is that I was excited about it when it first came out and thought there was lots of scope to really have fun with zombies in the book but that's not what I saw, all I saw was a very systematic search and replace at regular intervals with very few creative additions. That doesn't mean that I didn't think it wasn't a smart way to make a buck, quite the contrary, in that way I thought it was brilliant and ingenious but a talented literary effort? Not so much.

I take for example other "remixes" such as The Story of Edgar Sawtelle or A Thousand Acres - they took original works and reshaped them into other really excellent literary works with lots of original creative effort. The zombie/sea-monster/? series is a great marketing tool but not, in my opinion, great or even good literature (the original classic excepted of course).

JMO

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert