Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-21-2008, 03:36 AM   #1
Tam Magnus
Tam Magnus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS 505
Sony Prs-505 Reader Best seller e-books availability

Hi All,

Would appreciate some advice on the following. I'm in New Zealand and have just had delivered a PRS-505 from Oz.
Now I find that the Sony e-book site is only applicable to US and Canadian buyers.

Is there any other site that sells e-books in the Sony format??
Thanx in advance

Tam Magnus
Tam Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:06 AM   #2
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Magnus View Post
Hi All,

Would appreciate some advice on the following. I'm in New Zealand and have just had delivered a PRS-505 from Oz.
Now I find that the Sony e-book site is only applicable to US and Canadian buyers.

Thanx in advance

Tam Magnus
I believe that if I am not mistaken you can have Sony gift cards sent to you from the U.S. and use them to purchase your books.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2008, 04:13 AM   #3
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Tam there are plenty of ways to get books so dont worry!

go have a read through the sony reader forums first, there are lots of good threads in there.

Then if you have any questions that forum is the best place to ask them.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:40 AM   #4
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Magnus View Post
Hi All,

Thanx in advance

Tam Magnus
Fictionwise sells some of its books in LRF format under Multiformat nickname.
Otherwise your other option would be to buy ebooks in MS *.lit format and convert them to LRF.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:40 PM   #5
RWJ
Zealot
RWJ doesn't litterRWJ doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Fictionwise sells some of its books in LRF format under Multiformat nickname.
Otherwise your other option would be to buy ebooks in MS *.lit format and convert them to LRF.
Having just gotten the PRS-505 (my first ebook reader) I'm looking at fictionwise and am a) delighted at the selection and prices but b) confused as to whether or not I can use the majority of their files, which seem to be in secured form. I know that calibre is amazing at converting *.lit to *.lrf, but I thought it couldn't do that with DRM files. Am I missing something?
RWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2008, 10:01 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJ View Post
Having just gotten the PRS-505 (my first ebook reader) I'm looking at fictionwise and am a) delighted at the selection and prices but b) confused as to whether or not I can use the majority of their files, which seem to be in secured form. I know that calibre is amazing at converting *.lit to *.lrf, but I thought it couldn't do that with DRM files. Am I missing something?
ConvertLIT is able to remove the DRM from LIT which you can then use lit2lrf to convert to LRF for your shiny new 505.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:27 PM   #7
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Also several .lrf books on www.baen.com. Be sure to check out their free library.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:01 PM   #8
RWJ
Zealot
RWJ doesn't litterRWJ doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
ConvertLIT is able to remove the DRM from LIT which you can then use lit2lrf to convert to LRF for your shiny new 505.
Thank you very much.
Woohoo!
RWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:00 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
But please make sure that DRM removal is legal in your country. We don't want you to inadvertently break the law!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:54 AM   #10
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
With the latest firmware update you can also read secure PDF books on the Reader.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote