Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #16
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
The original N905 touches did NOT have an SD card in them....
That should not matter, do they not have a USB interface? Wasn't that how his image was created in the first place?

Windows sees the internal flash memory of my jetBook Lite and gives it a drive letter, that would not happen with the internal memory of the Touch because it has the non-windows partitions but it should still see that the internal memory exists and offer to format it for use in windows. The programs I mentioned do their own search for attached media and have no problem reading and writing to the internal memory of such devices, without regard to windows inability to read them.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #17
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
No., If you look at the script being used, it copies the content of the normally inacessible partitions over on to the external SD card. This requires the unit to have booted as normal, and for modifications to have been made to get the script to run.

If the base linux system is wiped out, and the device rendered non bootable, no means exists to copy the data back to to the hidden parititons.

This is is the exact same on other kobo models; there is no means to access the "system" partition of the internal SD card from an USB connection.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2013, 09:14 PM   #18
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
No., If you look at the script being used, it copies the content of the normally inacessible partitions over on to the external SD card. This requires the unit to have booted as normal, and for modifications to have been made to get the script to run.

If the base linux system is wiped out, and the device rendered non bootable, no means exists to copy the data back to to the hidden parititons.

This is is the exact same on other kobo models; there is no means to access the "system" partition of the internal SD card from an USB connection.
I ran some tests with the tools I have on hand and an Aluratek Libre Pro, I was only able to see the FAT partition. The same with the Alura. I suspect that USBnet would get around this, but it appears that you can't do it the way I thought it could be done.

While my tools can see all the partitions off an SD card in a USB connected card reader they aren't doing so for the USB connected device's internal memory.

So, I was wrong, I know it seems so improbable, but there it is. I'll have to mark it on my calendar.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #19
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
That should not matter, do they not have a USB interface? Wasn't that how his image was created in the first place?

Windows sees the internal flash memory of my jetBook Lite and gives it a drive letter, that would not happen with the internal memory of the Touch because it has the non-windows partitions but it should still see that the internal memory exists and offer to format it for use in windows. The programs I mentioned do their own search for attached media and have no problem reading and writing to the internal memory of such devices, without regard to windows inability to read them.
The firmware on the Kobo only allows the user partition to be seen over the USB connection. The other partitions do not exist as far as the USB host computer is concerned.

This does help to keep people from accidentally formatting the internal storage beyond what a factory reset can recover from.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:10 AM   #20
Yoshi523
Yoshi523 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Aura HD
NOTE TO met67

I followed your description to the T but nothing happened when I disconnected my Kobo Aura HD. I reconnected, and followed your description again this time FORMATTING MY MICRO SD CARD INTO FAT (NOT FAT32). My AURA HD vers 2.8.1 is now doing the long update/backup procedure. Just letting everyone know it looks like the Windows 7 default of formatting micro SD to FAT32 causes it to not backup. You Need old standard FAT format.
Yoshi523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2013, 06:21 AM   #21
Yoshi523
Yoshi523 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Aura HD
Ok the backup dump is now complete for Kobo Aura HD vers 2.8.1. It took a total of 12 minutes. There is now a folder named KoboDumpDone as well as a tiny folder named koboExtStorage on my 4GB MicroSD card. The 4GB card is now 2GB full of the backup. Thanks to met67 !!
Yoshi523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:02 AM   #22
met67
Connoisseur
met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi523 View Post
The 4GB card is now 2GB full of the backup. Thanks to met67 !!
There is something strange going on, here. The Aura has 4GB of internal storage, so the dump should be that size, and probably wouldn't fit on a 4GB card...
met67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:51 PM   #23
timwillhack
timwillhack began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura & Mini
Hey guys, I am in the process of running this on a 2.8 Kobo Aura (hopefully it finishes - crossing my fingers since the Aura doesn't have a microsd inside!!) Something that crossed my mind while I was reviewing this hack is whether or not you could hijack the upgrade process here to allow for fixing a pseudo bricked device. IE looking at a folder on the microsd card for an update and applying it (fix an upgrade loop for instance). I thought I bricked my mini as it was stuck in an upgrade loop a while back, but I ended up plugging into linux and just mounting it and dropping in an upgrade to a default firmware and the upgrade process on reboot finished properly. Of course I then instantly made a copy of the internal memory sd and kept it for safety but in a case of non microsd internal memory units (like the kobo aura) this could help!
timwillhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #24
timwillhack
timwillhack began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura & Mini
It did finish properly (at least size wise about 3.8GB dump) from the aura (non hd) mark 5 hardware. I was running stock firmware 2.8.0. I'm not sure however is how to restore if anything ever did go wrong since the kobo aura does not have an internal microsd. Will it still be mountable in linux if it bricks? (anyone know?)
timwillhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:00 AM   #25
MarekGibek
Zealot
MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C
Hi Tim! To restore image probably you can change dump script to copy data (dd command) in the other way. But I wouldn't dare to do it - it may work as long as your system is working ok. If you corrupt something you won't be able to run the script and you won't be able to restore the firmware (maybe JTAG can help). So even having that backup you cannot feel safe.

BTW. You are the only person I know that has copy of Aura firmware. Can you please share first 16MB of it? I would like to test if Regal technology will work on other devices:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=226739
I can see you have Kindle Paperwhite and Kobo Mini so you may be interested in, too

Last edited by MarekGibek; 11-23-2013 at 07:04 AM.
MarekGibek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:37 PM   #26
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
Does not work on my auraHD (firm.3.1.1). Not works with a microSD in FAT32. Neither on microSD with FAT16 ( smallest partition of 4 GB created from the ereader)
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:06 PM   #27
rantoie
Enthusiast
rantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kobo aura hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by surquizu View Post
Does not work on my auraHD (firm.3.1.1). Not works with a microSD in FAT32. Neither on microSD with FAT16 ( smallest partition of 4 GB created from the ereader)
I have the same problem. When I run the script, it reboots immediately, and then up pops a toast dialog that says, "We couldn't recognize your Micro SD card. Please format it to FAT32 and try again."

However, if I ssh to the device, the sdcard is mounted at /mnt/sd fine...
rantoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:28 PM   #28
rantoie
Enthusiast
rantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kobo aura hd
I'd be interested to see what the original /etc/init.d/upgrade-wifi.sh is on the Aura... I overwrote mine with the one from this zip before looking at it. I dont know if it was identical to the one in the Original.tgz
rantoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:36 AM   #29
nnsense
nnsense began at the beginning.

Device: nnsense
Hi
The same happen here (Kobo Aura HD). The original (/etc/init.d/upgrade-wifi.sh from the 3.1.1 update) is:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

if [ -e /mnt/onboard/.kobo/manifest.md5sum ]; then 
	cd /mnt/onboard/.kobo
	md5sum -c manifest.md5sum
	if [ $? != 0 ]; then
		rm -rf manifest.md5sum
		exit 1;
	fi
	rm -rf manifest.md5sum
	cd /
fi

PLATFORM=freescale
if [ `dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512 skip=1024 count=1 | grep -c "HW CONFIG"` == 1 ]; then
	PLATFORM=ntx508
fi

if [ $PLATFORM == ntx508 ]; then
        PCB=`ntx_hwconfig -s -p /dev/mmcblk0 PCB`
        RAM=`ntx_hwconfig -s -p /dev/mmcblk0 RAMType`
	RAM_SIZE=`ntx_hwconfig -s -p /dev/mmcblk0 RamSize`
	RAM_SIZE=`echo $RAM_SIZE | awk '{print $RAM_SIZE-MB}'`
        NEW_UBOOT=/mnt/onboard/.kobo/upgrade/$PLATFORM/u-boot_mddr_$RAM_SIZE-$PCB-$RAM.bin
        NEW_KERNEL=/mnt/onboard/.kobo/upgrade/$PLATFORM/uImage-$PCB
	[ -e $NEW_UBOOT ] && UBOOT=$NEW_UBOOT
	[ -e $NEW_KERNEL ] && KERNEL=$NEW_KERNEL
fi

WAVEFORM=/mnt/onboard/.kobo/upgrade/waveform

[ $PLATFORM == freescale ] && UBOOT=/mnt/onboard/.kobo/upgrade/u-boot.bin
[ $PLATFORM == freescale ] && KERNEL=/mnt/onboard/.kobo/upgrade/uImage

echo your platform is $PLATFORM
echo $UBOOT
echo $KERNEL

/etc/init.d/upgrade-generic.sh $UBOOT $WAVEFORM $KERNEL mmcblk0

exit $?
unfortunately, as told, for us is nearly useless if actually the internal SD is just not an SD.
nnsense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:30 PM   #30
kobo.feb
kobo.feb began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
The script does not work on Kobo Glo with 3.1.1 firmware installed.
The same happens as described by rantoie and nnsense.

The original script on 3.1.1 is also slightly different. Here is a dump of the comparison of the zipped original script from the start of the thread and from the 3.1.1 firmware pack:

Quote:
Comparing files upgrade-wifi.sh and UPGRADE-WIFI.SH (v311)
***** upgrade-wifi.sh

UBOOT=/mnt/onboard/.kobo/upgrade/$PLATFORM/u-boot.bin
KERNEL=/mnt/onboard/.kobo/upgrade/$PLATFORM/uImage
***** UPGRADE-WIFI.SH (v311)

***** upgrade-wifi.sh

[ ! -e $UBOOT ] && UBOOT=/mnt/onboard/.kobo/upgrade/u-boot.bin
[ ! -e $KERNEL ] && KERNEL=/mnt/onboard/.kobo/upgrade/uImage

***** UPGRADE-WIFI.SH (v311)

[ $PLATFORM == freescale ] && UBOOT=/mnt/onboard/.kobo/upgrade/u-boot.bin
[ $PLATFORM == freescale ] && KERNEL=/mnt/onboard/.kobo/upgrade/uImage

Could you please make an updated dump script for 3.1.1 firmware? Please help if possible, thanks.
kobo.feb is offline   Reply With Quote