Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-11-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
jackie999
jackie999 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
K3 plugboard basics

I'm trying to get my K3 to display books with series numbers.
I have an existing plugboard,
mobi:KINDLE2 = ([{series}{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title}] -> title)

In preferences, sending books to devices, I have "metadata management" set to "automatic management"

I've restarted..connected K3 numerous times but so far I don't see any differences....what do I do next?
jackie999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:44 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
You did try to send some new books, didn't you? The plugboards won't work on books that have already been sent.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2010, 08:05 AM   #3
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Can someone tell me what the difference is between configuring a plugboard such as above, and using the "Sending books to devices" template?

I can't find anything in the Calibre help about plugboards or the template. I can see the sticky thread on plugboards with some sample values but nothing about when you use which or combinations thereof. I've seen another thread here on a script for collections, but how that interacts with all of the above I have no idea.

Is there a step-by-step guide somewhere for gumbies for a recommended way to get books onto their Kindle (3 in my case)?
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:17 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

The plugboard will change the books' metadata before it is sent to the device, the template configures the path the book will be saved in on the device.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:06 AM   #5
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
The plugboard will change the books' metadata before it is sent to the device, the template configures the path the book will be saved in on the device.
Ok, took a few moments thinking for that to sink in but I think I understand now... the metadata is what the Kindle will use for it's display purposes since it knows nothing about physical filename formats etc which would be irrelevant to be changing in this case.
Advert
Old 12-12-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Ok, took a few moments thinking for that to sink in but I think I understand now... the metadata is what the Kindle will use for it's display purposes since it knows nothing about physical filename formats etc which would be irrelevant to be changing in this case.
I don't own a Kindle, so I don't know exactly, but I think you're right.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
That is, of course, an effect, not a cause.

As Manichean said, the plugboard changes *what* is written into the book when it is sent to the device. How the device uses and interprets that information depends on the device. For example, the Sony (usually) ignores the metadata in the book and believes the information in the sony DB.

The template controls *where* the books is put. Again, what effect this has will depend on the device. Some ignore paths, and some use paths for metadata.

Because of the differences between devices, one cannot recommend templates and plugboards with impunity. One must understand what the desired consequences are, and how the device processes the information. For example, for sonys, it is usually necessary to use device_db as the target in addition to (or instead of) epub. Kindles seem to believe the metadata in the book. With other devices, your mileage will vary.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #8
kiwidude

Yeah, that whole "depends on your device" thing was why I was asking whether there is a gumbie guide for Kindle owners. As I said above the Calibre help pages are pretty thin in this area (a search for "plugboard" just brings back the programming API). The FAQ has plenty of info for Sony owners, I'm guessing Kovid wrote them and that's what he owns.

I just hoped there must be enough Kindle owners floating round by now that there might be some place where the newbies like me can go to get the "short version" recommendations of what we need to do. Without reading through endless pages of multiple threads containing information that quite often is superceded by later editions of Calibre...
Old 12-12-2010, 03:51 PM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm guessing Kovid wrote them and that's what he owns.
Actually, they are written by me, and I do own a Sony that I am happy with. The more I hear about the kindle, the less I am interested in spending money to get one.

My intent is to maintain information at some level of device specificity in the thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=100949. If you find that information exists elsewhere but not there, or if there are specific 'recipes' that kindle folk can use, then let me know and I will add it to the opening post.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:

I just hoped there must be enough Kindle owners floating round by now that there might be some place where the newbies like me can go to get the "short version" recommendations of what we need to do. Without reading through endless pages of multiple threads containing information that quite often is superceded by later editions of Calibre...
I'm not a Kindle newbie but I have no experience with using plugboards. I'm going to put a call out in the Kindle forum for those with experience. I'll then add a page of instructions on how to use them in the Kindle Visual Guide. Be advised that it will take a couple of weeks to get the page up. I have to work.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:22 PM   #11
kiwidude

My thanks to both of you. daffy4u - I have read that Kindle visual guide in the past, it was very enlightening thanks so to have additions to that related to Calibre would be brilliant. I appreciate that the info is "elsewhere" on the forums if you look long and hard enough - it's the "quick getting started recommendation" that I'm sure other Kindle owners new to Calibre would also appreciate. I've spent a lot of time getting my books into Calibre, but very little so far on that next step...

Sorry Chaley, should have guessed that when I name some work as done by Kovid it turns out to be someone else. I scanned the first post in your thread and it is really nicely laid out with some very powerful options. It was just the 10,000ft view of when and why on plugboards I was missing that I now have.

And I'm sure the Sony is a fine device, I've been tempted a few times in the past. After years of procrastination what finally tipped it for me with the Kindle was the latest model with 3G giving me free browser access to my mail when travelling without having to find internet cafes. There are a number of things I wish it had of course (such as EPUB support without hacking it, bigger screen, get rid of that annoying locations bar, apparent kludges required to manage collections from Calibre) but it will do the job until a new gen of devices comes out...
Old 12-12-2010, 05:09 PM   #12
jackie999
jackie999 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
You did try to send some new books, didn't you? The plugboards won't work on books that have already been sent.
No..that would have been too easy
But to be honest - I did consider that but thought I'd ask first..I thought if I sent the books I'd end up with doubles on my K3? So if I resend books they'll overwrite the originals?

Answered my question ...I opened Calibre, viewed books on device and removed them all...then added them again.

Last edited by jackie999; 12-12-2010 at 07:28 PM.
jackie999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:10 AM   #13
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie999 View Post
No..that would have been too easy
But to be honest - I did consider that but thought I'd ask first..I thought if I sent the books I'd end up with doubles on my K3? So if I resend books they'll overwrite the originals?
I don't know. If you send books to the device, change the plugboard, and resend the books, I suspect they will overwrite the files already present on the device. If you change the template and then resend a book, I believe Calibre would create a copy.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:48 AM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I don't know. If you send books to the device, change the plugboard, and resend the books, I suspect they will overwrite the files already present on the device. If you change the template and then resend a book, I believe Calibre would create a copy.
Confirming your suspicion -- the templates use the original metadata to generate the path, while plugboards alter the metadata within the book. As such, unless the metadata or template change, the books will end up in the same place on the device regardless of what the plugboard contains.

Of course, should you wish it, you can change the template to use the same information as the plugboard is putting into the book. The easiest way to do this is to create a composite column (or two), then use the column(s) in both the plugboard and the template.