Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #76
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
What's the iPod touch 4G, the iPhone 4? Edited to say: ooooh, 4th generation! Duh!

I preordered the new iPod touch, and, believe me, I desperately looked for PMP alternatives, but Apple has crushed the competition a while back and only a few lone contenders are hanging on.
At $300 it's more expensive than my Nexus 7 tablet, so I am paying more for portability. Even if the iPad mini came at that same price point, the screen resolution is said to be rather low, so it may be the same as the iPod's. So, I think that they'll figure out a way to make it more interesting, like super 4G prepaid rates or something. We'll see...
Does the Kindle for Android app allow two-page view in landscape on your Nexus 7 tablet?

Is there just one font choice in Kindle for Android app on the Nexus 7 tablet?
Old 10-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #77
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Does the Kindle for Android app allow two-page view in landscape on your Nexus 7 tablet?

Is there just one font choice in Kindle for Android app on the Nexus 7 tablet?
In landscape mode, you can select between one or two column. Also, you can change the background to white, sepia or black and adjustbthe line height and the font size, but not the font type.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #78
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
In landscape mode, you can select between one or two column. Also, you can change the background to white, sepia or black and adjustbthe line height and the font size, but not the font type.
Thanks! I'm thinking the Nexus 7 is a better option than the Fire HD for multiple reasons, so once Amazon clears the PW charge from my account I'm going to order one.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #79
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
One thing I noticed about the Kindle Fire is that my Amazon books and side-loaded books are separated. The amazon books are listed under "books" and my side loaded (calibre emailed) books are listed under "documents".

Does the Nexus 7 group the books together? I find it annoying to have to look for my books in 2 separate places.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #80
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
One thing I noticed about the Kindle Fire is that my Amazon books and side-loaded books are separated. The amazon books are listed under "books" and my side loaded (calibre emailed) books are listed under "documents".

Does the Nexus 7 group the books together? I find it annoying to have to look for my books in 2 separate places.
Good question. I bet it does since that is the way the Kindle for iPad does it, I think. I know it has Books and Documents categories.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #81
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Not sure, I don't have any non-amazon purchased books any more. Would I have to send them to my N7's kindle address?
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #82
bossfan2000
Connoisseur
bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iPhone 6+, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Thanks! I'm thinking the Nexus 7 is a better option than the Fire HD for multiple reasons, so once Amazon clears the PW charge from my account I'm going to order one.
I returned my PW and will stick with reading on my Nexus 7. I would recommend installing the Screen Filter app for night reading, as it will let you dim the screen beyond what the Kindle app will by itself. In all honesty, the Nexus 7, using the Screen Filter app, is much easier on my eyes then the KPW (even though I know it should have been the opposite).

If you are familiar with Calibre and know how to "convert" your Kindle content to epub, I would recommend Mantano Reader. I saw a Kobo Touch in your profile (I think). Since both Mantano Reader and the Kobo Touch are both ADE-based, the page numbers will match. In other words, if you are on page 132 on your Kobo Touch, it will also be 132 in the Mantano app.
bossfan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #83
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossfan2000 View Post
I returned my PW and will stick with reading on my Nexus 7. I would recommend installing the Screen Filter app for night reading, as it will let you dim the screen beyond what the Kindle app will by itself. In all honesty, the Nexus 7, using the Screen Filter app, is much easier on my eyes then the KPW (even though I know it should have been the opposite).

If you are familiar with Calibre and know how to "convert" your Kindle content to epub, I would recommend Mantano Reader. I saw a Kobo Touch in your profile (I think). Since both Mantano Reader and the Kobo Touch are both ADE-based, the page numbers will match. In other words, if you are on page 132 on your Kobo Touch, it will also be 132 in the Mantano app.
I agree. I've already got the Screen filter app on my Motorola Android phone and had it on the original Kindle Fire I had. Great app! Mantano is good too, but I'm one of those people who really likes to Whispersync between devices so I'll probably stick with the Kindle app most of the time.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #84
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post

Duh, I just remembered I've got the app on my Android phone. I never use the phone for reading apps so I forgot. Of course the phone and tablet versions are a bit different in some areas. The Kindle app on my phone has the choice of On Device, Archive, and Store, so I think there is no distinction made between store bought and sideloaded. I do have a lot of sideloaded on it and they show up in the same place as store bought books.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #85
bossfan2000
Connoisseur
bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I agree. I've already got the Screen filter app on my Motorola Android phone and had it on the original Kindle Fire I had. Great app! Mantano is good too, but I'm one of those people who really likes to Whispersync between devices so I'll probably stick with the Kindle app most of the time.
You probably already know this, but Mantano has a cloud sync option, though it is around 9 bucks a year I think. But it would enable you to keep your phone and tablet in sync. I tried the demo and it seemed to work fine. I'm unsure about paying for it now, because I just got my Kobo Mini and think I will end up doing most of my reading on that now (so I wouldn't need to sync my Nexus 7 with my phone anymore).
Old 10-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #86
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
You probably already know this, but Mantano has a cloud sync option, though it is around 9 bucks a year I think. But it would enable you to keep your phone and tablet in sync. I tried the demo and it seemed to work fine. I'm unsure about paying for it now, because I just got my Kobo Mini and think I will end up doing most of my reading on that now (so I wouldn't need to sync my Nexus 7 with my phone anymore).
I use moon+ to keep my ePub books in sync betwwen n7 and phonec. It has Dropbox support t hat works well.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #87
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
I use moon+ to keep my ePub books in sync betwwen n7 and phonec. It has Dropbox support t hat works well.
Unfortunately my other devices are Kindles or Kindle apps, and they don't play nice with third party syncing. It can be done I'm told, but not worth all the extra work and trouble. Whispersync simply works, and that is why I stick with Kindles.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #88
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
Quote:
Whispersync simply works, and that is why I stick with Kindles.
That's why I stick with Kindles too.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #89
bossfan2000
Connoisseur

Quote:
Unfortunately my other devices are Kindles or Kindle apps, and they don't play nice with third party syncing. It can be done I'm told, but not worth all the extra work and trouble. Whispersync simply works, and that is why I stick with Kindles.
Ack..just noticed the "Previously" label above the Kobo Touch in your sig. Sorry about the un-needed suggestions
Old 10-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #90
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Ack..just noticed the "Previously" label above the Kobo Touch in your sig. Sorry about the un-needed suggestions
Oh no problem, I'm always open to suggestions. I had the first gen of Kobo Touch about 1-1/2 years ago when they were first released. A VERY good hardware platform. Unfortunately the firmware was really sub par. The CS team and developer teams were really helpful and nice, and along with some others from this forum I participated in their firmware beta program. They were trying their best to get the FW right, but they just kept making it worse. Pity, as it was a good e-reader as far as hardware goes. It was really easy to add fonts--just dump them in a folder called fonts and use the proper naming convention. But the book rendering just never looked right. I returned it just before the Borders at which I bought it closed their doors for good. I was afraid if I didn't I would never see a refund!