Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-16-2009, 09:29 AM   #1
Sunii
Sunii began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Removing the SONY decal?

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a way to remove the SONY decal and the small model number decal on the front of the reader. I'm worried about using any kind of chemicals that might ruin the finish or accidentally damage the screen. Thanks!
Sunii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:32 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's not a decal.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2009, 09:59 AM   #3
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
I guess you don't want anyone to know it's a SONY!

I wouldn't know how to do that, I think I read somewhere that some people got distracted by the sony logo on ereader and they were wondering what to do. Maybe one of those people will help you out. I don't know if black nail color paint would do it? Just like they have "white out" ..... I wonder if they have a bottle called "black out". I'm sure as marketing tactic , it could be kind of cool. Name is catchy!
richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:42 PM   #4
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I used a skin from Decal Girl (www.decalgirl.com) to cover mine. The logo is not a sticker, so don't try to peel it off.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:02 PM   #5
siulayhumga
Connoisseur
siulayhumga began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I have a DG's skin on a laptop and they looks good. But I think they are way more distractive than the little sony logo.
siulayhumga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2009, 09:12 PM   #6
Sunii

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's not a decal.
Oh ok that's helpfull, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siulayhumga View Post
I have a DG's skin on a laptop and they looks good. But I think they are way more distractive than the little sony logo.
I was considering a skin from DG, but like you mentioned they are rather "loud" and I'm not sure if I would like the feel of it. I do like the metal feel of the reader but I just find the logo so distracting.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:41 PM   #7
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:48 PM   #8
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
The Sony logo bothered me because it was reflective.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:15 AM   #9
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
duct tape fixes everything
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:47 PM   #10
nathantw
Zealot
nathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litter

Device: 505
Just a suggestion, can you go to a hobby shop and get dull (flat), clear paint and just paint over the logo so it doesn't shine? As for the 505 part, if you have the silver Reader you can get a silver ink color permanent ink marker and use that to cover the "prs-505."
nathantw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #11
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
We all have laptops and TV's and other devices that have the name on it, my TV does, my monitor does, I don't notice the sony decal , I think after a few days you will not even notice it. I have lots of things in my room which after a few days I don't notice.

If it was a decal, yeah, you could remove it, but it's not, and if you want to resell it in future, or let other people use it, the SONY name on it , makes it a "name brand" item.
If it was "dynex", "kiddie ereader", or other weird name, yeah, you might want to cover it over, but SONY shows you have "good taste". Now you could be a very humble person and not want to brag or offend poorer people and you are type that takes off the BMW decal from your car and replaces it with ford decal. If you are, than YEAH, paint it over.

Last edited by richman; 07-17-2009 at 05:23 PM.
richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:13 PM   #12
Sunii

I'd rather not paint over it, because then instead of looking at the logo I'd just have to look at a small patch of paint that doesn't match the rest of the reader

As for the duct tape suggestions, very tempting
Old 07-17-2009, 08:30 PM   #13
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
There's a logo on my 505?

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:31 PM   #14
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by richman View Post
We all have laptops and TV's and other devices that have the name on it, my TV does, my monitor does, I don't notice the sony decal , I think after a few days you will not even notice it.
This thread actually prompted me to check my reader today, as I couldn't remember where the logo was...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:52 PM   #15
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
There's a logo on my 505?

Stitchawl
LOL, I'm with you, all I see is my screen when I'm reading.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decal, remove