Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-25-2010, 12:11 PM   #1
booklvr52
booklvr52 began at the beginning.

Device: none
which eReader to choose???

I am considering entering the eReader market for the first time.

I mostly read paperback fiction (mostly new releases). Average 2-3books/month.

Am leaning away from the Kindle as I wouldn't like being tied to Amazon.
Am leaning away from the Sony products since I have heard terrible things about their customer service/support.
Am leaning towards the Nook since my needs are fairly simply, I like the size (newest Kindle is too big) and I like the idea of being able to download from the library (even though as yet my library's eBook collection is small).

Is this a good choice for me?

Also, is that a good site for free eBooks that includes current releases?

Thanks for any help...
booklvr52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Welcome booklvr!

It appears to me that the comparison shoppers here don't decide to purchase one of the most famous brands. Instead, from what I have seen the two devices which have generated the most enthusiasm here have been the PocketBook 360 and the jetBook Lite.

No one here will disrepect you no matter which device you finally choose. Just keep in mind that currently they are all flawed. No matter what you decide on, in two years there will be something better and less expensive.

Take your time studying the many forums here devoted to the various devices. Decide on which features are most important to you (including price), and then pick the one with the most of those features that fits your budget.

Happy hunting!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2010, 09:21 PM   #3
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi & welcome booklvr. Have you checked out the matrix?

There are plenty of bookstores that have the latest books. On top of it you can find a lot of free books here on MR - those are all books out of copyright, lovingly formatted by MR members.

Not to forget the posted links to freebies.

I am very happy with my Sony and never had any problems so didn't have to test the customer service.

Personally I would get the Pocketbook 360 next, but that's just me. I think the support is great (some members are working for them) and it looks just so interesting.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:31 PM   #4
ChrisC333
Groupie
ChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it is

Device: Acer eM250 Netbook, iTouch, iRiver Story, HP TM2 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post

No one here will disrepect you no matter which device you finally choose. Just keep in mind that currently they are all flawed. No matter what you decide on, in two years there will be something better and less expensive.

Take your time studying the many forums here devoted to the various devices. Decide on which features are most important to you (including price), and then pick the one with the most of those features that fits your budget.

Happy hunting!
G A Russell nailed it.

They are all compromises, there is no clear champion.

For example: The right sized screen for one occasion can be wrong for another. The different displays work better under some light conditions than others. Most devices limit your choice of book format (which can be a nuisance with copy protected books). The lighter devices tend not to have colour, but the netbook computer options (which can run a wider range of software) tend to be heavier and have shorter battery life. And so on....

I eventually chose on the basis of which ones I could actually test out for myself at local shops. Then I knew exactly what I was getting.

Good luck

Cheers,

Chris
ChrisC333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:20 AM   #5
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
I recently bought the Astak 5" EZReader PocketPro and am very happy with it. You might want to consider that along with Calibre to manage your books.

I've also used the Iliad and DR1000 by Irex and for general reading prefer the PocketPro.

Hope this helps.
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2010, 07:03 AM   #6
Almas
Addict
Almas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Touch; Sony PRS-600
I agree with what everyone else has said - there is not a single reader out there that can meet all needs.

It's good to get different opinions from different people about the different readers that are out there. But keep in mind that a reader is a very personal thing, and the features that one person values might not be so important to someone else.

I, myself, am quite happy with my Sony reader. I have had no problems with it and it's the perfect size and has just the right features for me.

I hope you are able to find one that you fall in love with. I'm sure there are plenty of people in these forums who will be willing to help you with your decision
Almas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:11 AM   #7
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Personally, I did not like the Astak when I tried it. It never seemed to remember my place in the book and when I reopened a book it would be several pages behind where it should have been.

I had a Sony and was very happy with it. I have a Kindle now (wanted the dictionary and text to speech features) and am very happy with it as well. Unless you need a specific feature only available on one brand, I honestly think they are all pretty much the same. The one thing I miss about the Sony is the collections, it was so handy to organize the books in Calibre using tags and have that group the books into sets. I miss that on the Kindle.

As far as free books, there are tons of sites like Feedbooks, Manybooks, this forum and others. If you are looking for free 'modern' books, then here are some options:

- Smashwords (mostly self-published books, some free, some not. Quality will vary)
- Sony and Amazon (they tend to run the same promotions; books free on one site often are on the other)
- The public library (mine stocks mostly romance in ebooks, but sometimes I will hit the motherload---they just got all the Grishams for example)

If I did not need the dictionary and text to speech features, I would probably recommend the Sony over the Kindle because you can buy from more stores. I could read library books, books from Kobo and epubs from Fictionwise without liberating/converting when I had the Sony. And I liked the collections. I do love my Kindle too, but the only reason I upgraded was because because I need the extra features it has.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:00 PM   #8
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
I'd stay away from the Nook. I haven't met many people who were utterly satisfied with it.
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:27 PM   #9
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
I recommend jetBook-Lite! In my opinion it has the best value for the money while retaining excellent quality.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote