Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-21-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Question for (USA) foodies... Spike seasoning

I came a across a tofu marinade that looks promising - but the recipe included something called "Spike seasoning".

It's apparently this: Gayelord Hauser brand

It looks a bit disturbing to be honest - makes me think that the main ingredient in Spike(TM) may be E621 - but is it? Is it more complex than a middle-of-the-road umami taste? There is already soy in the recipe...

Any suggestions of what I could substitute it with? Or perhaps just what are the main qualities of the taste of Spike - e.g. sweet, sour, sharp, strong, pungent, biting, cold, fresh, mellow, etc. - then I can figure out myself what to use.

The recipe is this:
- 1/2 cup soy sauce, tamari or Bragg's Liquid Aminos
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Spike seasoning
- 1 generous pinch saffron
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I found the below link with more information...
I hope this helps..

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/AccentSpike.htm
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
My sister-in-law generally takes a a few jars home when she's been to the States again. I should tell her to take some for me as well... It's a mixture of various spices and generally very nice.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:17 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Oooh. MSG. Hate it, makes my feet swell up like baked potatoes.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:19 PM   #5
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I found the below link with more information...
I hope this helps..

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/AccentSpike.htm
It does help. At least it seems that Spike is not MSG (not that I have a problem with MSG, but I like to know what I eat), but the variety of flavours that goes into Spike make me think the main experience is not that far from a umami taste. Hmm....
Advert
Old 09-21-2009, 04:32 PM   #6
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
It does help. At least it seems that Spike is not MSG (not that I have a problem with MSG, but I like to know what I eat), but the variety of flavours that goes into Spike make me think the main experience is not that far from a umami taste. Hmm....
A customer review on Spike at Amazon.com says the ingredient "high flavor yeast" is MSG. I don't know of any connection to yeast and MSG.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:39 PM   #7
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Spike at Amazon.com says the ingredient "high flavor yeast" is MSG. I don't know of any connection to yeast and MSG.
Well Marmite, Vegemite and other yeast extracts have a strong umami taste, in a beefy sort of way.
One of my Chinese cookery books suggests using liquid or powder stock essence instead of MSG. This works quite well. But I usually prefer a concentrated chicken or vegetable stock essence.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:55 PM   #8
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
A customer review on Spike at Amazon.com says the ingredient "high flavor yeast" is MSG. I don't know of any connection to yeast and MSG.
As far as I understand MSG is naturally ocurring in a number of foods, one with a high content of MSG is nutritional yeast (not baking yeast, usually used as a B-vitamin supplement or just as a spice). Other examples are tomatoes, mushrooms, and cheeses.

Sounds like Spike is basically a powdered vegetable stock cube...
Old 09-21-2009, 07:02 PM   #9
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I'm a vegetarian so a good tofu marinade is always useful, thanks for posting it!

As for what's in Spike, check http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/AccentSpike.htm
A LOT of ingredients, but is essentially seasoned salt. I did an Aussie google search for it, but couldn't find a way to get it over there
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:51 PM   #10
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
I've come across some recipes that substitute "Mrs. Dash® Original Blend" for "Spike Seasoning Blend". I'm not sure if Mrs Dash is available in your location or not.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:02 PM   #11
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Oooh. MSG. Hate it, makes my feet swell up like baked potatoes.
I don't have that problem, but too much of the stuff gives me a migraine
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:06 PM   #12
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Spike has no MSG. "High flavor yeast" is nutritional or brewer's yeast. I don't think it's got MSG in it, although perhaps MSG is derived from a different kind of yeast. My husband uses both extensively, and he's allergic to MSG.

Spike is a savory seasoning, a blend of over 50 individual spices, so it's hard to match it--but shouldn't be too hard to substitute for it. Salt with flavor attached. For the recipe mentioned here, I'd probably mostly use salt, with some onion, garlic, and oregano. Could add other meat-flavoring herbs, if you like. I suspect the salt & onion are the most important parts.

My husband, who is the cook in the family, is currently sleeping; I nudged him to ask what to substitute for Spike. He suggested mailing a jar of it, and fell back asleep. While I'm not opposed to the idea of spreading the Spike-love beyond the US borders, I doubt that it would get there in time to be useful for making this particular batch of marinade.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:16 AM   #13
Ea
Wizard

Thanks for all the help everyone

For those interested, I found a bit more info on MSG in foods

The short of the long: http://www.truthinlabeling.org/hiddensources.html
More background info: http://www.truthinlabeling.org/faarp...k-2-FEb17.html
(Edit: I don't like the lack of references to the claims stated in, especially, the second page, and the language is not neutral).

Pesonally I don't have a problem with MSG as such, as it's naturally ocurring, but I'd rather just use the foods directly. I must admit that I believe that not many people can be decidedly allergic to it, or else there would a great number of foods they couldn't eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Spike has no MSG. "High flavor yeast" is nutritional or brewer's yeast. I don't think it's got MSG in it, although perhaps MSG is derived from a different kind of yeast. My husband uses both extensively, and he's allergic to MSG.
MSG is derived from fermented carbohydrates. Chemically it's a glutamic acid, and one of several other glutamic acids, which are found naturally in a number of foods, chemically the difference is minimal. Nutritional yeast and fermented soy products typically has high concentrations, but it's also a large component of the flavours that we like in e.g. bacon, tomatoes, cheese, seaweeds and mushrooms.
Quote:
Spike is a savory seasoning, a blend of over 50 individual spices, so it's hard to match it--but shouldn't be too hard to substitute for it. Salt with flavor attached. For the recipe mentioned here, I'd probably mostly use salt, with some onion, garlic, and oregano. Could add other meat-flavoring herbs, if you like. I suspect the salt & onion are the most important parts.
Since you mention 'meat-flavouring herbs' and 'salt with flavour attached', it sounds like the basic taste quality is "umami-like" generic "taste" or whatever I could call it - not something specific such as sharp, mild, strong, warm, fresh, eathy, dry, hot, etc.? I was mostly wondering if I was missing out on a specific flavour component, but if it's just 'background' stuff then it's no problem.

Quote:
My husband, who is the cook in the family, is currently sleeping; I nudged him to ask what to substitute for Spike. He suggested mailing a jar of it, and fell back asleep. While I'm not opposed to the idea of spreading the Spike-love beyond the US borders, I doubt that it would get there in time to be useful for making this particular batch of marinade.
*lol * no and I generally try to stay away from that kind of ready-made stuff anyway.

Last edited by Ea; 09-22-2009 at 04:23 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:58 AM   #14
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Maybe a stupid question, but what is MSG?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:05 AM   #15
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Maybe a stupid question, but what is MSG?
MonoSodium Glutamate, or E621