Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-02-2009, 10:30 AM   #61
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
What are talking about ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:35 AM   #62
Saud
Connoisseur
Saud began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus, Iphone 3G, Blackberry 9000
I guess Jon means this :
http://dir.salon.com/topics/berkeley_breathed/

maybe they actually have meant this:
Opus: "in architecture, a technique or a method or a style of connecting building elements, following the studies on Roman architecture" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus

Last edited by Saud; 08-02-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Saud is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2009, 01:03 PM   #63
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
I think it's more from the latin meaning. (Work or Book.) This is explain on the french wikipedia "Opus est le mot latin pour ouvrage ou œuvre." (ie in english "Opus is a latin word for Work or Book") but not on the english version...
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:35 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I did indeed mean Opus the penguin from the comics.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:10 AM   #65
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Here is a comparison photo

Ellen

imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2009, 08:13 AM   #66
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Right to left : a 6'' jetBook, the 5'' Opus and some kind of Palm/PDA ?

EDIT :
Looks like the jetBook is a 5'' as well ...

Last edited by Gaurnim; 08-04-2009 at 08:38 AM. Reason: :)
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:34 AM   #67
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Gaurnim: From left to the right? Are you sure?
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:39 AM   #68
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Where did you see "left to right" ?
Old 08-04-2009, 10:39 AM   #69
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
The thing on the left is/was an ebookman. I used mine until the jog dial broke. Bigger/nicer screen than a pda. However it had way too much glare and wasn't quite enough contrast so it made reading a bit of a chore. On the other hand, there wasn't much else too choose from when it came out in 1999.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:57 AM   #70
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42

Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
The thing on the left is/was an ebookman.
Thanks for the info.
It indeed seemed larger than the PDAs I'm used to.
The area at the bottom of the screen clearly recalls his PDA ancestors, though.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:50 PM   #71
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Sorry, I was posting in a hurry this morning. I forgot to label the comparison shot. I thought that it would be nice nostalgia showing the Ebookman. I always thought that the Ebookman was a great pocket size reader.

I also have other readers around if anyone wants a comparison shot.
Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:24 AM   #72
mjmcleod
Connoisseur
mjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to behold

Device: Galaxy Tab
I've had my Opus for a few days now. I'm reasonably happy with it, though I hadn't quite expected the ePub support to be so uncustomisable -- shall have to see if the MOBI version is any better about that if and when that firmware eventually arrives.

In the meantime it's perfectly usable for my needs. Which don't include PDF.
mjmcleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:34 AM   #73
bobowvu
bobowvu began at the beginning.

Device: IRex Iliad
At first glance, Im thrilled with the Opus. Here are my initial comments:

Pros:
- Very portable, I cant get over that it fits in my front shirt pocket.
- Page transitions are much faster than on the Gen3
- Folder Support! Works great so far.
- Accelerometer. It works quickly and in all directions.

Cons:
- In general principle, it annoys me that Bookeen completely drops mobi for epub at the drop of a hat. Makes me wonder what next years model will support. Not a big deal tho.
- The accelerometer works well, but i have to tilt the reader to an angle that is slightly more severe than my typical reading angle
- The Opus uses the same user interface that is on the Gen3. Unfortunately they did not scale the font of the interface accordingly, so the finer print (status bar) is too small. It doesnt affect reading books, tho.
- No ability to change fonts. Surprisingly one of my bigger complaints.
- I wish they would have used a white backplate, it somehow looks like you slavaged the backplate off of some other device or something.

Overall, my complaints are nitpickey and half-hearted. Ive owned the Iliad, Gen3, and now Opus. The Opus is hands down my favorite. It is the perfect size for standard reading.
bobowvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:47 AM   #74
mjmcleod
Connoisseur
mjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to behold

Device: Galaxy Tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobowvu View Post
- No ability to change fonts. Surprisingly one of my bigger complaints.
This only applies to ePub. If you put on a regular text file you can set the font to whatever you want, provided you copy the font files to the device.

I have however noticed that it isn't happy about using all the fonts I've put on. I copied over Georgia, Fontin, and Fontin Smallcaps. It'll use the built-in Verdana and Fontin Smallcaps, but not the other two. The three I copied over were all Truetype.

If the 'embolden' option were available while reading ePubs I think I could probably reduce the font size by one level. I may have to play around with Calibre and see if I can't get suitable results that way instead.

As to the accelerometer, I think they got the balance about right: it doesn't switch orientations at the drop of a hat, but when you want it to switch it'll do it. This is something I've had some trouble with on my iPhone.
mjmcleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:35 AM   #75
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobowvu View Post
- In general principle, it annoys me that Bookeen completely drops mobi for epub at the drop of a hat. Makes me wonder what next years model will support. Not a big deal tho.
- The accelerometer works well, but i have to tilt the reader to an angle that is slightly more severe than my typical reading angle
A quick note about those two.

Bookeen is not dropping Mobi support, but they can't include both Mobi and Epub support in the same version of the firmware.
So there will be 2 versions of the firmware, one for Mobi, one for Epub.
While it's not really convenient for us, at least it allows some form of liberty in the choice of format.

The Opus has to be completely vertical for the accelerometer to take the movement into account. After that, though, you can use at you preferred angle.