Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-31-2009, 11:55 AM   #31
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Very true, but ePub is a "specify everything in the book" format. That's not all bad - eg it allows you to have multiple fonts within the book, which Mobi doesn't.
Does ePub really require that a font must be specified or that the specified font must be rendered? Why cannot the reader give the user the possibility to choose which font to use?

Last edited by tompe; 07-31-2009 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Missing text added...
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:09 PM   #32
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Very true, but ePub is a "specify everything in the book" format. That's not all bad - eg it allows you to have multiple fonts within the book, which Mobi doesn't.

Don't forget that you will have the option of using Mobi firmware at some point, and retaining everything you have at present with the Gen3. ePub is definitely a format where you gain some features and lose others compared to Mobi.
The problem, as I see it, is not in the format, but in the software implementation (ADE). There's no reason why an ePUB reader should not let the user select a default font, or several (for the different base css families). Most browsers can do that, after all. It's just frustrating that a potentially more powerful and flexible format such as ePUB is spoiled by a limited reader software, which everyone uses even though the format is open and they could create their own better-featured readers...

Well, at least they got rid of the page numbers and intruduced the 12 font sizes (by the way, are relative font sizes like 85% or 120% honoured when you change the base font size?). Let's hope that they can still add features to the ADE SDK at Bookeen, or press Adobe to do that
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2009, 12:13 PM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I entirely agree with both you and Tommy. The ADE software does seem a little "primitive" compared to Mobi, even if the rendering capabilities are "richer".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:16 PM   #34
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Bottom Line: Does it feel good in your hand and does it make you happy?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:19 PM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It does . It's probably going to take me a few weeks to make up my mind whether to make a permanent switch to ePub, or to stick with Mobi, but whichever I choose, the Opus itself is a very nice device indeed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2009, 12:21 PM   #36
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Sold! The accelerometer does it for me over all others

When Archambault sells it here I'll buy...

Thank you Harry!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:23 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
The problem, as I see it, is not in the format, but in the software implementation (ADE). There's no reason why an ePUB reader should not let the user select a default font, or several (for the different base css families). Most browsers can do that, after all. It's just frustrating that a potentially more powerful and flexible format such as ePUB is spoiled by a limited reader software, which everyone uses even though the format is open and they could create their own better-featured readers...
When I convert to ePub or remove the DRM, I specify Fontin as the main reading font and that works fine. Looks quite nice too. The default ADE font is not all that good and it does look like it's rendering italics from the normal font. But ADE for the 505 does not slow down using embedded fonts. So it's not an issue and I can keep the fonts on the reader without having to have them in each ePub file. I use Fontin as the base font and Fontin_Sans as the header/title font and it works well as it very closely matches Fontin.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:31 PM   #38
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
It does . It's probably going to take me a few weeks to make up my mind whether to make a permanent switch to ePub, or to stick with Mobi, but whichever I choose, the Opus itself is a very nice device indeed.
i'm very glad you're happy with your opus. i really liked the device when bookeen presented it to us ; i think it's a great design, and a real improvement over previous designs. i'm glad the hardware is improving in terms of the ergonomics. and it's so small and light it makes really a perfect option for a device to have with you always.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:52 PM   #39
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Arrrgghhhh - no bookmarks! Unless I'm missing a way to set them. That's a bit of a pain.
Haven't found any option for bookmarks as well. Didn't see anything in the user guide...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:53 PM   #40
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurnim View Post
That would indeed be a pain !
Let's hope you will find it.
Or maybe it depends on the file format.
On which format are you testing ?
Haven't found any bookmarking for PDF or ePUB. Didn't try any other formats. Haven't seen anything in the user guide...
Old 08-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #41
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soc-psychologist View Post
Quite nice actually. I had very few complaints of the pdf-zoom-algorithm of the Gen3. It was not perfect, nor did I expect it to be. I would say that this is even better. The 5 inch screen is used to the max and the progress bars etc. are thinner and and the DPI being higher than in the 6 inch of the Gen3, I'd dare to make the suggestion (even without measuring) that the 5 inch screen displays more information than the 6 inch screen (which was not bad in the first place). Both devices could have more zooming steps programmed in them (perhaps 5% intervals?) to make the reading yet more enjoyable.

The folder view is elegant and chick. Very stylish icons in the preselected books provided with the device. (And a good selection of public domain books I might add).

--Michael
Really? I can confirm nice quality for ePUB. But PDF, I find substantially inferior to the 6" units. I've described it in PDF as "fading out". The letters in smaller zooming levels simply seem too small.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:57 PM   #42
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
Is the embolden feature still available?
Haven't found it so far and didn't read anything about it in the user guide...
Old 08-01-2009, 05:02 PM   #43
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
I've got my Opus. First impressions are very favourable.

The first thing that struck me was how small it is. The screen may only be 1" smaller than the Gen3, diagonally, but the who machine looks tiny, and really does fit comfortably into a trouser pocket. It's supplied with a very sturdy carrying pouch, with rigid stitched leather (or close approximation thereto) front and back, and elasticated sides. This should certainly provide perfectly adequate protection for carrying it in a pocket or handback.

The machine itself is a matt "off-white", with three controls along the bottom - a smaller version of the standard 5-way nav control that the Gen3 has in the centre, a "back" button to the left of it, and a "menu" button to the right. There are long narrow page turn buttons on the right of the screen - the upper one is "page forward", the lower "page back". If you prefer to hold the machine in your left hand, you simply turn the device upside down and the accelerometer (which works very well) inverts the screen, and automatically reverses the controls, so that the "up" and "down" still work as you'd expect them to. That's it - no side controls like the Gen3 has.

There's a mini USB connector (same as the Gen3) in the bottom of the machine, and the microSD slot is in the centre of the top.

As far as usage goes, it boots in roughly 15 seconds, and the library screen looks exactly like that of the Gen3. I've not tried using folders yet, so I don't know how the library screen handles them. It's supplied with about 100 sample books, half French and half English - all classics (not very well formatted).

The ePub files open quickly, and page turning is rapid - certainly a lot faster than the Gen3. Some people will, I'm sure, be pleased to note that the "progress bar" is gone - we now have page numbers ("15 of 205") and the book title on the progress bar (no battery indictator, I'm afraid - that's still only shown on the Library screen). Firmware version is "Version 1.9. Build 942".

While reading, the menu button displays a menu with:

- Back
- Forward
- Go To...
- Font Size...
- Show Status Bar
- Advanced...
- Back to Library

That's really all I can think of for now. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask and I'll answer if I can.
Can you access the Micro SD card in ADE, like it's with the Sony units (showing 3 drives = internal memory, memory stick and SD card)?
I only see Opus' internal memory in ADE, so I can't drop any ePUBs or PDFs via ADE onto the Micro SD card.
I have to copy manually. It's working, but of course not convenient.
I've tried various cards, all the same...
Old 08-02-2009, 02:56 AM   #44
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Haven't found any bookmarking for PDF or ePUB. Didn't try any other formats. Haven't seen anything in the user guide...
Mmm, i'm pretty sure i DO have bookmarks for ePub. I'll check. (OK, i stand corrected, it was an html)

And a small things, beware with folders. I switched back to normal view, and the opus refused to start, as there is now too many files on my sd card.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:09 AM   #45
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Mmm, i'm pretty sure i DO have bookmarks for ePub. I'll check. (OK, i stand corrected, it was an html)

And a small things, beware with folders. I switched back to normal view, and the opus refused to start, as there is now too many files on my sd card.
Can you access your SD card in ADE? I see mine (tried quite a few cards) in Windows explorer. I even can read the books which I've copied manually to the card. But I can't see the card in ADE, so can't copy within ADE (still can copy to internal memory in ADE of course). SAUD experiences similar problems with SD cards.
Plus: My Opus hung himself for a few minutes about 5 times last night. Only with SD card in place. Without SD card it seems stable.