Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-15-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
SteGar
Enthusiast
SteGar doesn't litterSteGar doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Download Calibre before buying PRS 700

The new guy still trying to make sense of all the info !! I have been going through the Calibre forum and I still would like to know...

Is there a point in downloading Calibre before I buy my PRS 700? Can it manage my RSS feeds ?

If so, since I read that Calibre has no sceduling property (maybe it does now...) how do I get it to update the feeds?

By the way, keep in mind I am not a programmer and even though I get around a computer, I won't follow yo guys if you get to technical...
SteGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:07 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Yes, download it now and see what it does.

Yes, calibre auto-downloads feeds on a schedule.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
SteGar
Enthusiast

OK... So you're telling me that I can set it to auto-downloads every morning at 6am... and the feeds that I have subscribed to will be updated.

This looks to good to be true !!
Old 02-15-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteGar View Post
OK... So you're telling me that I can set it to auto-downloads every morning at 6am... and the feeds that I have subscribed to will be updated.

This looks to good to be true !!
Yep, here's what the feed schedule screen looks like:

BOb
Old 02-15-2009, 10:24 PM   #5
SteGar
Enthusiast

Wow this looks really impressive. Thanks for sharing this.

It says that you need to let calibre running, I guess your internet browser (in my case explorer) should be running too !

By the way, if it is not too much to ask, what's the deal with Feedbooks ? Is this a similar application or something that's compatible...
Advert
Old 02-15-2009, 10:26 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It says that you need to let calibre running, I guess your internet browser (in my case explorer) should be running too !
Nope, you don't need your browser running. Just claibre. It doesn't need internet explorer. I know alot of people used to think you have to leave your TV on to record onto a VCR. But, like a VCR calibre has it's own "tuner".

Quote:
By the way, if it is not too much to ask, what's the deal with Feedbooks ? Is this a similar application or something that's compatible...
Feedbooks.com is a web site that contains public domain books. There is also a way to put together books that pull from feeds. I've never used that feature though. Check it out at the afore mentioned URL.

BOb
Old 02-15-2009, 10:36 PM   #7
SteGar
Enthusiast

Thank you again and I admit, the VCR analogy is pretty funny.

This being said, when I get my 700, do I install the operating software Sony will provide or I let calibre recognize when connected ? And will calibre push the info from the feeds to the reader or will I need to sync it (I think that from what I have read I will probably nedd to sync...).
Old 02-15-2009, 10:40 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
This being said, when I get my 700, do I install the operating software Sony will provide or I let calibre recognize when connected ? And will calibre push the info from the feeds to the reader or will I need to sync it (I think that from what I have read I will probably nedd to sync...).
You won't need to Sony software for this to work at all. There is an option in calibre to "Automatically send downloaded news to ebook reader". So, if you have that set it will put the news on the device when it sees it. There is also an option "Delete news from library when it is sent to reader" too. This way your library only holds news that hasn't been transfered to the reader.

However, it doesn't truly sync. So, you will have to delete news manually. Calibre never deletes stuff from your reader automatically.

BOb
Old 02-15-2009, 10:47 PM   #9
SteGar
Enthusiast

Wow !!

My first day on a forum and I get all this info... If I had known...

Thanks and good night !
Old 02-15-2009, 11:20 PM   #10
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
Welcome to MobileRead!

Quote:
... when I get my 700, do I install the operating software Sony will provide ...
You only need Sony software if you want to buy books from Sony store. You can browse their store using any browser but can buy and download from software only. For everything else, there is Calibre.
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:24 PM   #11
SteGar
Enthusiast

Thank you ddavtian.

So, if I understand correctly, I'll be able to buy an ebook on Amazon and use calibre to send it to my reader !!
Old 02-16-2009, 10:33 PM   #12
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Thank you ddavtian.

So, if I understand correctly, I'll be able to buy an ebook on Amazon and use calibre to send it to my reader !!
No, you wont. You need to own a Kindle to buy from Amazon. But there are several other ebook sites that aren't restricted to certain devices. Most of the sites listed here offer a format that you can use:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_stores
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:47 PM   #13
SteGar
Enthusiast

Interesting... I don't have a real problem with this, but why would Amazon cut itself from a big pool of buyers ?? Anyway...

I just downloaded Calibre and try to get a few feeds going with the scheduling (I tried Business week and CNN... cancelled the CNN job since it indicated that it was not available) and even though it downloaded the BW feeds for today, I seem unable to view them and the hourglass is still turning at the bottom right of the screen... It says the job is done, why is it still doing that ?