Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-17-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Noobie prob: calibre/Mac/prs505

Sorry, I read quite a few threads and searched but was unable to find a good answer to my minor issues. First a bit of background. I was using a Dell Axim x50v previously and have all my ebooks in html (DRM removed from lits and mobi's as needed). I purchased a new prs505 and it has the latest firmware on it. I am using Mac OS X 10.5.5 with calibre 4.137. I have been able to successfully convert html files into both epub and lrf (using the gui).

Problem 1:
For some reason when I connect the sony reader via usb, the reader is not recognized and I can't use the send to device option at all. Not sure if I am missing a driver or not. I have worked around this by saving to disk and choosing the SD card when it is attached via a usb reader and showing up as a mass storage device.

Problem 2:
Metadata tags are not being read or used properly. The title and authors show up OK on the prs505 BUT none of my tags or series are showing up as collections on the reader. Frustrating since I would really like to sort via collections. I know the tags are present in the epub files since I used terminal to report on the metadata of a couple of the epub files and the tags show up properly there.

Basically, I am not sure if these problems are related or not. Ie: if the save to device worked would the second problem be fixed? I am not sure if this has any bearing, but when I updated to the 4.137 version of calibre, I simply copied over the old calibre version in my apps folder with the new calibre application from the dmg. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Problem 2 is caused by Problem 1. Collections will appear on the reader only if you can use "Send to Reader". It's because collections are stored in a different file on the reader.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2009, 07:30 PM   #3
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, thanks for solving the 2nd problem. Does anyone have any suggestions for solving the 1st problem? I am not sure if the sony reader forum would be better to post this in, but I would like to use calibre exclusively and not be dragged down into using parallels and xp if possible since that would add another level of things to do each time I want to add books to the reader.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:35 PM   #4
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
The Calibre forum is definitely the right place to post the problem in!

I can't help with the first problem except to say that's how I update Calibre on my Mac and, so far, it's always worked fine.

It could be that something's missing, or it could possibly be an issue with your cable. Does the 505 show up in Finder when you connect it with the usb cable? If not, try a different cable.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:58 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Open Terminal.app, type the following and post the output

Code:
calibre-debug -d
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2009, 08:00 PM   #6
slantybard
my parent's oops...

That's totally weird. I went and found the original usb cable and used that to connect the reader instead of the usb to mini usb cable that looks the same but was not made by sony. Not sure what the difference was but that works great now. Thanks for all your help. Another silly question, do you eject both volumes before disconnecting or just pull the cable out and ignore the usual warning?
Old 02-17-2009, 08:19 PM   #7
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
That's totally weird. I went and found the original usb cable and used that to connect the reader instead of the usb to mini usb cable that looks the same but was not made by sony. Not sure what the difference was but that works great now. Thanks for all your help. Another silly question, do you eject both volumes before disconnecting or just pull the cable out and ignore the usual warning?
I eject both volumes - the one time I didn't my Sony took offence and froze!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote