Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-30-2021, 08:22 PM   #91
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Does anyone have a comparison picture of the Voyage's and the new Paperwhite's screens? (Going back to the original post.) If the PW5's screen is anywhere near the quality of the Voyage I would be curious to see that.
From what I've read, the Voyage is still better than the PW5. The Libra 2 comes close.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 10:14 PM   #92
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Clara, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
As has been stated the resolution is not the primary factor when discussing "sharpness", at least not for me.

In my view the Kindle 2 is almost clearer/sharper than my other e-ink devices (Kindle PW3, Hisense A5 Pro, Onyx Boox Nova 3) even though both the contrast and resolution are objectively much worse. It doesn't have a touch screen or a frontlight and the screen is indented and it doesn't feel like there's anything between you and the text.

The worst e-ink device I have for sharpness is the Nova 3. In more or less direct sunlight it looks better than my PW3, but in any other lighting conditions the text is slightly fuzzy. I think this is because of the matte glass layer (flush screen) on top. I can't read on it when even slightly tired (I feel like there's something wrong with my eyes and I need glasses) and often have to slant it at an angle to see the text clearly.

I'm very sensitive to any fuzziness and am generally amazed at how little people seem to value good sharpness in screens, favouring features instead.

I would happily give up anything and everything except the touch layer for an improved sharpness in the screen.
The source of my confusion has been the distinction between sharpness and clarity. I've heard the term "crispiness" used interchangeably with sharpness.

Fuzziness definitely fits with resolution or sharpness.

Clarity is something different; when people talk about what makes the Voyage unique as having the supposed best screen ever, they talk about the quality of the text seeming to float on the screen. I take that as essentially being the equivalent of saying the Voyage has the best screen clarity.

If it were possible to do a real-world test of the Voyage compared to a Carta 1200 device, the Voyage would measure as having 15% worse contrast. People argue the Voyage still looks as though it has better contrast and I'm skeptical. The Voyage doesn't have superior resolution, either.

It can only be clarity that distinguishes the Voyage from other readers. It's surprising Kindle wouldn't have carried that feature forward on the Oasis.
mezzanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2021, 01:32 AM   #93
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
edit, on second thoughts it might have been the Sage and not the PW5. my apologies if i'm slightly misremembering
I've seen pictures of the PW5 compared to other readers, but I don't recall a picture of the Voyage beside a PW5.

EDIT: Here's a thread at Reddit (that has two Voyage/PW5 comparison pictures). From what I see there I would definitely give the Voyage the edge on contrast and clarity. But not that big of an edge. I think the PW5 would look really good on its own.

https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comm...t_impressions/

Last edited by rcentros; 12-31-2021 at 01:39 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 01:44 AM   #94
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
I've seen pictures of the PW5 compared to other readers, but I don't recall a picture of the Voyage beside a PW5.

EDIT: Here's a thread at Reddit (that has two Voyage/PW5 comparison pictures). From what I see there I would definitely give the Voyage the edge on contrast and clarity. But not that big of an edge. I think the PW5 would look really good on its own.

I agree the clarity and sharpness appear better in the Voyage based on these images.

Some varying opinions on these devices also arise because the devices aren't identical, the batches people receive seem to vary so it's hard to say.

I love my Oasis 3, and I prefer waterproofing and the flush screen needs this, have gotten used to it, but I still absolutely adore the Paperwhite 3 screen clarity and sharpness. Voyage released in 2014 and Paperwhite 3 in 2015, Amazon was definitely putting the magic touch on their screen qualities back then.

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 12-31-2021 at 01:46 AM.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 01:50 AM   #95
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I agree the clarity and sharpness appear better in the Voyage based on these images.

Some varying opinions on these devices also arise because the devices aren't identical, the batches people receive seem to vary so it's hard to say.
That's true. But I still think the Voyage's screen is exceptional. I've got eReaders that appear to have really good screens (Glowlight 3, PocketBook HD3 and Clara HD) until I put them next to the Voyage. (Not that they're bad screens and the warm light makes up for it, but for clarity and contrast I still haven't seen anything to match the 2014 Voyage.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2021, 05:13 PM   #96
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:

whatever happened to the white screen with the front light off comeback Voyage there's nothing to forgive

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 05:22 PM   #97
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'll post a photo of my H2O and Libra 2 with no light on sometime tomorrow.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 05:56 PM   #98
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
thanks

best wishes koboy
Old 01-20-2022, 04:30 PM   #99
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
this aged well, didn't it

best wishes koboy

Tags
paperwhite, voyage