Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-30-2021, 01:33 PM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
In your opinion.

It is a fact that kobo dithering is prone to generate regular patterns. For me, those patterns reduce image quality.
I've seen comparisons with some pretty complex images and Kobo was better in every instance. It's not an opinion. It's a fact.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 01:34 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here is a side-by-side photo of the PW5 and the Libra 2. I know which one I think is better.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PW5 vs Libra 2.jpg
Views:	1276
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	191114
Advert
Old 12-30-2021, 01:35 PM   #63
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
In your opinion.

It is a fact that kobo dithering is prone to generate regular patterns. For me, those patterns reduce image quality.
In which firmware revision? Current firmware uses improved dithering and artifacts are not nearly as common unless I am testing one of my pathological cases.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 01:36 PM   #64
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Here is a side-by-side photo of the PW5 and the Libra 2. I know which one I think is better.

Attachment 191114
Libra 2 reminds me of the Oasis and I don’t like the case design
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 01:39 PM   #65
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:

Attachment 191114
No one has argued the Libra 2 isn't better. It's better than the Oasis 3 as well. The question was, is the Oasis 3 better than the PW5 or vice versa, or are they equal? The fact that the Libra 2 is better than both doesn't answer that question.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2021, 01:43 PM   #66
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
[Seinfeld voice]You mention flush vs sunken, but you don't seem to be theorizing about them.[/Seinfeld voice]
Let me put on my theorizing hat:

Isn't the theory about flush screens that there is an extra layer on them that sunken screens do not have? And that each extra layer reduces the quality, even if fractionally?

And the Paperwhite using a plastic overlay vs. the Oasis using a glass one could explain why they are comparable even though they use different generation screens.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 12-30-2021 at 01:45 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 01:56 PM   #67
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I've seen comparisons with some pretty complex images and Kobo was better in every instance. It's not an opinion. It's a fact.
You stating that something is better does not make it a fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
In which firmware revision? Current firmware uses improved dithering and artifacts are not nearly as common unless I am testing one of my pathological cases.
I have no idea, the images were posted by JSWolf sometime in the past year in the PDF forum and later another set in some other forum, possibly "Which one should I buy?".
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 01:58 PM   #68
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:

Attachment 191114
That's a blurry, low-res photo. It doesn't say all that much about the quality, IMO. I do think that you are correct, though.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 02:25 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Have a look and see what you think between the PW5 and Oasis 3.

Old 12-30-2021, 02:32 PM   #70
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Let me put on my theorizing hat:

Isn't the theory about flush screens that there is an extra layer on them that sunken screens do not have? And that each extra layer reduces the quality, even if fractionally?

And the Paperwhite using a plastic overlay vs. the Oasis using a glass one could explain why they are comparable even though they use different generation screens.
What extra layer? If they are both capacitve touch, what extra layer is needed?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 02:33 PM   #71
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:

Attachment 191114
this particular photo is an unfair comparison. why? look closely at the PW5 the image is blurred, only slightly, but still noticeable to my eyes.

edit. i'd like to know if the front light is off on this photo. my guess would be that's it's on at a lowish level.

best wishes koboy

Last edited by koboy; 12-30-2021 at 02:46 PM.
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 02:40 PM   #72
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post

I'm very sensitive to any fuzziness and am generally amazed at how little people seem to value good sharpness in screens, favouring features instead.

I'm flabergasted that people can't grasp the concept of different strokes for different folks.

YMMV
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 03:25 PM   #73
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The flat, clear layer over the top of the whole device. What mates the screen flush.
Old 12-30-2021, 03:27 PM   #74
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:

Attachment 191114
Mostly I just think the layout of that book is lousy in both photos.
Old 12-30-2021, 03:31 PM   #75
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
The layer that makes it seem that the display is flush.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paperwhite, voyage