Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-25-2021, 12:57 PM   #1
tlc
Zealot
tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: KK 3G, iPad
Question New Paperwhite vs Old Voyage

A relative got me a new Paperwhite for Christmas to replace my "old Kindle" (which I had no complaints with). But my old Kindle is the Voyage which was the advanced model back when I got it.

When I bought the Voyage, I was all about hard buttons, but now I think I could adjust to screen only driving. I see that the still unopened Paperwhite has an "adjustable warm light". I'm guessing that it doesn't adjust automatically or it would say so.

What are the other differences? Would you switch to the new Paperwhite?
tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 01:23 PM   #2
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post
A relative got me a new Paperwhite for Christmas to replace my "old Kindle" (which I had no complaints with). But my old Kindle is the Voyage which was the advanced model back when I got it.

When I bought the Voyage, I was all about hard buttons, but now I think I could adjust to screen only driving. I see that the still unopened Paperwhite has an "adjustable warm light". I'm guessing that it doesn't adjust automatically or it would say so.

I have the new PW and I have had the Voyage in the past, and also the Oasis. I never cared for the page buttons, and prefer the touch screen. I also love the screen size of the new PW, it isn't as large as the 7 in Oasis but I never liked the design of the Oasis and found it hard for me to use. I am a lefty and always use the covers on my devices. The Oasis isn't mean to work well for a left handed person. I lover the Voyage but found it a little small for my liking. The Voyage screen was really great but I believe this new PW has a great screen and for me just about perfect options. I never liked the automatic lighting, and like I said I never cared for the paper buttons.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2021, 01:25 PM   #3
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:

The best answer is to open the Paperwhite, explore and decide for yourself.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 03:31 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
...Would you switch to the new Paperwhite?
I wouldn't, but I think the Voyage was the best Kindle ever made. If this is the new, 6.8" screen Paperwhite, you might like the larger screen. If auto light adjusting is important to you, you might want to trade up to the Kindle Signature Edition, which has a self adjusting light, 32 GBs of memory and wireless charging. The Signature Edition is kind of in the Voyage's old feature slot, but it doesn't have an etched glass screen -- which is what I think made the Voyage so good.

Is there any reason you can't use both the Voyage and the new Paperwhite?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 05:46 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you want a larger screen Kindle, return the PW5 and get an Oasis 3. The PW5's screen is so-so. The Oasis 3 has a much better screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2021, 06:05 PM   #6
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you want a larger screen Kindle, return the PW5 and get an Oasis 3. The PW5's screen is so-so. The Oasis 3 has a much better screen.
The problem I had with the Oasis was I so dislike the way it is case style. The screen is nice, but as a lefty I don’t like design. And personally don’t care for the page buttons.
Old 12-25-2021, 06:07 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
The problem I had with the Oasis was I so dislike the way it is case style. The screen is nice, but as a lefty I don’t like design. And personally don’t care for the page buttons.
I have the new Libra 2. It's very easy to ignore the buttons.
Old 12-25-2021, 06:11 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
How do you know that? Is it shown in a review? The Oasis 3 doesn't have as good a screen as the Libra 2, that I can say for certain.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 06:13 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
How do you know that? Is it shown in a review? The Oasis 3 doesn't have as good a screen as the Libra 2, that I can say for certain.
Because I've seen the GoodEReade3r review of the PW5 vs the Libra 2 and they did the video in 4k and on my 65" LG OLED C1, I can see how meh the PW5 screen is.
Old 12-25-2021, 06:14 PM   #10
cvkemp
Loving life

Quote:
I have the new Libra 2. It's very easy to ignore the buttons.
True but I hated the design style of the Oasis so I returned it.
Old 12-25-2021, 06:14 PM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Because I've seen the GoodEReade3r review of the PW5 vs the Libra 2 and they did the video in 4k and on my 65" LG OLED C1, I can see how meh the PW5 screen is.
Yeah, but the Oasis 3 also seems pretty meh compared to the Libra 2 side by side.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 06:20 PM   #12
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
A new Paperwhite seems a very nice gift to me. I’d keep them both; you might find you like the larger screen and the warm light. Also, the Voyage is definitely an older device by this time and the battery life must have deteriorated.

It’s easy for me to think of use cases for two ereaders, whether it be one for armchair and one for nightstand, or one for home and one for out and about. So, enjoy a lovely gift!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 07:03 PM   #13
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
True but I hated the design style of the Oasis so I returned it.
i dislike squarish ereaders immensely. at least the PW5 shape is to my liking all be it slightly too big. the design of the Voyage is the perfect shape/size for my requirements=bliss

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 04:52 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
i dislike squarish ereaders immensely. at least the PW5 shape is to my liking all be it slightly too big. the design of the Voyage is the perfect shape/size for my requirements=bliss

best wishes koboy
Have you actually held the Libra 2? I wasn't sure how I'd like it before I got it. But I do like it.
Old 12-26-2021, 02:02 PM   #15
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Have you actually held the Libra 2? I wasn't sure how I'd like it before I got it. But I do like it.
no i haven't, i don't need to. i know the size, shape, and the dimensions that's more than enough for me to know it won't fit in my inside coat/jacket pocket. as i mentioned i don't like square ereaders. i almost always read with no front light, the Libra 2 screen without front light is too grey/green for my liking. compare your Kobo H2O vs the Libra 2 with the front light off the H2O will have the whiter screen.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paperwhite, voyage