Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-25-2008, 01:12 PM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Can you disable hyphenation? The line starting with Kit looks dreadful and the old behaviour gives much better spacing for these kind of lines. The old behaviour wat to not right justify lines were the spacing become to much.
There doesn't seem to be a way of disabling it. White space issues always look bad at very large font sizes - I increased the size 3 "units" from the size I normally read at to take the photograph. I may be wrong, but I think that the old firmware would have displayed that line in the same way.

If you've not reflashed yet, you could check and see for yourself - the text is from the first few pages of Charles Dickens "The Old Curiosity Shop" that I've uploaded here.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:54 PM   #17
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Was it proved that there was a fault?
There certainly was increased battery drain on my Cybook with 685.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2008, 01:55 PM   #18
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hyphenation really does work, too
Indeed it does, and it is a nice addition to the software.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:58 PM   #19
bwaldron
Wizard

Quote:
No one then came back to the posts with any fresh experiment to confirm whether the battery life was better under that earlier version.
Well since we were seeing the increased drain immediately after moving to 685 from 538, I think that it was basically confirmed by default. Certainly I found the better battery life I was used to when I did the downgrade.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:03 PM   #20
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Well since we were seeing the increased drain immediately after moving to 685 from 538, I think that it was basically confirmed by default. Certainly I found the better battery life I was used to when I did the downgrade.
Okay...

GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2008, 02:49 PM   #21
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
No one then came back to the posts with any fresh experiment to confirm whether the battery life was better under that earlier version.
But for old versions of the Cybook it is well know that the battery time is 4-5 days.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:55 PM   #22
Katiesue
Enthusiast
Katiesue is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook
Hey all, I am a relatively new owner of a Cybook (3 weeks) and very new to this "techie" world. Can someone either tell me or point me to a good thread to help me learn more about how to load new firmware?

Also, what is meant by the term 'firmware'? The context of how it is used makes me think it means 'software', but I'm guessing that isn't quite right or ya'll would just say 'software'.

THX for the help.
Katiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:12 PM   #23
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
There doesn't seem to be a way of disabling it. White space issues always look bad at very large font sizes - I increased the size 3 "units" from the size I normally read at to take the photograph. I may be wrong, but I think that the old firmware would have displayed that line in the same way.

If you've not reflashed yet, you could check and see for yourself - the text is from the first few pages of Charles Dickens "The Old Curiosity Shop" that I've uploaded here.
Much better with the old version. This is very annoying. I can choose between increased possibility for bad spacing or non-working dictionary for some words. Why remove a working and good behaviour instead of just making it an option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hyp1.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	13814   Click image for larger version

Name:	hyp2.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	13815  
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:54 PM   #24
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiesue View Post
Hey all, I am a relatively new owner of a Cybook (3 weeks) and very new to this "techie" world. Can someone either tell me or point me to a good thread to help me learn more about how to load new firmware?

Also, what is meant by the term 'firmware'? The context of how it is used makes me think it means 'software', but I'm guessing that isn't quite right or ya'll would just say 'software'.

THX for the help.
Simple, really...

1. Get an empty-but-formatted SD card.
2. Unzip the update file you just downloaded.
3. Move the update_kernel file you just unzipped onto the empty-but-formatted SD card.
4. Insert (correctly, don't put it in backwards) the SD card into the turned-*OFF* Cybook.
(A side note here. On the front of your Cybook is a square button with a smaller button on the inside. The smaller button is the 'Enter' button.)
5. Turn *ON* the Cybook and, as soon as you see the rather dark first splash screen appear, mash and hold DOWN the Enter button.
6. When the screen disappears and another dark screen appears, you're in the firmware update process so you can RELEASE the Enter button.
7. Wait until the process is done. You'll know because you'll now be looking at the Library screen where all your ebooks are listed.
8. Remove this SD card and insert the one that holds all your ebooks.
9. You're done! Relax. Take a deep breath. Begin the enjoyment of reading!

Firmware is software, including the operating system, that is stored in ROM or FLASH memory. It doesn't disappear when the Cybook is turned off.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:30 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Hyphenation really does work, too. It only seems to "kick in" if there would be too much white space on a line without it, so it's best seen by increasing the font size. See the attached picture - the word "expression" has been hyphenated as "expres-sion" in the 6th line up from the bottom.
But, the hyphenation still needs work. The word shambling could have been hyphanted as sham- and then bling on the next line.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:35 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Much better with the old version. This is very annoying. I can choose between increased possibility for bad spacing or non-working dictionary for some words. Why remove a working and good behaviour instead of just making it an option.
If that is the same font and the same font size with the only difference being the new firmware vs. an older version, then I'd have to agree that the new firmware's display does not look as good. More spacing between words and less lines per page. Not a good "fix".
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:12 PM   #27
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
I've installed this latest update, not because I noticed any serious changes in my battery life, but I was experiencing some strange things when I press the button to move to the next page. Sometimes the Cybook would loop back and forth between 2 pages - I hope this new firmware somehow fixes that problem.

I am looking forward to the next update. According to the Readme file, here's what we have to look forward to:

New directory view.
Improved Mobipocket, PDF, HTML & TXT support.
New user interface features.
User interface translations.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:31 PM   #28
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Certainly, part of the answer would be to have the option of a ragged right margin (not right justified). And hyphenation on/off should be optional, too.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:23 AM   #29
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Hi Robert, great to see another author online.

I've enjoyed your books and I hope that I can purchase "Rollback" as an ebook soon.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:38 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
Certainly, part of the answer would be to have the option of a ragged right margin (not right justified). And hyphenation on/off should be optional, too.
You do have the option of left or full justification. It's on the "Layout" menu. The only situation in which it won't work is if the book has a specific justification "hard coded" into it, but that's something that no book should do unless it has a good reason for it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote