Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-08-2008, 08:33 AM   #31
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
There is a very easy test.

Anyone who is sure their cover is genuine leather, just light a match or cigarette lighter and try to "burn" your cover for 5 seconds. If nothing happened, then the cover is genuine leather otherwise it is an imitation.

NOTE. Don't do it at home, if you do it you are doing it on your own risk!
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:57 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onemack View Post
I agree the Bookeen cover looks and feels very good, (mine is definitely leather) and it resembles a diary. However I am a little puzzled as to why it was designed to double the thickness of the device. The Sony cover, although not leather is rather good too, but it doesn't increase the thickness of the device anywhere near as much.
John
Presumably the padding (you can feel the padding inside it) is there for increased protection. Even with the case it's still only about 1cm thick, so it doesn't make it bulky, exactly.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2008, 09:21 AM   #33
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Hehe - that's a pretty definite test, for sure.

And, well, I couldn't resist I cut out a small piece of the inside material - from behind the 'flap' left bottom, so it's not noticeable. Before, I was 99% sure the inside material was imitated leather - now I'm 100% sure. It's a thin layer of some foamy material with a woven backing. I've attached some photographic evidence.

And then I burned the little bit, just because. I know how synthetic fibres burn, so I was curious. It burned quickly and easily, but results are inconclusive though, as I don't have any real leather samples to test against.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	back_weave.JPG
Views:	390
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	8893   Click image for larger version

Name:	material_front_side.JPG
Views:	388
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	8894  
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:33 AM   #34
Egghead
Mentat
Egghead has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Bookeen Gen3 Cybook
Whatever the material is in the first picture, it's not leather. Cowhide isn't woven.
Egghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:01 AM   #35
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Well, i supect very, very thin leather mounted on fabric to save cost. That would explain my rips in the cover.
But i will let an expert have a look at the cover and see what he says.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2008, 01:34 PM   #36
julia
Connoisseur
julia began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505, kindle2, nook glow
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ea_ View Post
What I do not like at all, is that Bookeen is advertising it as being genuine leather when it isn't. I don't mind nice-looking plastic, which this is, but I don't like to expect leather and receive plastic.

since the discussion started about real or not real leather. i have asked a friend who designs and makes leather bags to have a look at it. conclusion: outside is plastic inside is genuine leather (hence the smell of it). i wrote bookeen about it. haven't received an answer yet. i would think: either change your website (and price) or make sure you get the right stuff from the factory.
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:47 PM   #37
Gerry
Enthusiast
Gerry began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by julia View Post
since the discussion started about real or not real leather. i have asked a friend who designs and makes leather bags to have a look at it. conclusion: outside is plastic inside is genuine leather (hence the smell of it). i wrote bookeen about it. haven't received an answer yet. i would think: either change your website (and price) or make sure you get the right stuff from the factory.
Thanks Julia. Let us know how they respond. I was about to write them when I got my cover, but after reviewing the photos people had posted I realized that I got exactly the same cover as everyone else, and that it would probably do very little good. But I certainly think that $40 is too much to pay for a "leather" cover that is half vinyl. If I were to do it again I would spend the extra money for the leather m-edge.

Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:43 PM   #38
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
But I certainly think that $40 is too much to pay for a "leather" cover that is half vinyl. If I were to do it again I would spend the extra money for the leather m-edge.
How do people decide what is too much? If you compare it to what accessories usually cost I think it is relatively cheap. Especially since I had to pay 40 euro.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:40 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't personally care what it's made of. It is, IMHO, a truly excellent cover.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:37 AM   #40
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't personally care what it's made of. It is, IMHO, a truly excellent cover.
If it is a plastic outside I hope it won't crack due to folding the front flap back.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:41 AM   #41
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

I Dutch reseller for the Cybook got confronted by a customer who claimed that the outside of the cover was not leather but plastic. The reseller contacted Bookeen and has written the following about it on his forum:

Quote:
Navraag bij de leverancier leert dat ook zij verrast zijn dat de cover niet volgens specificatie (lees: volledig 'echt leer') gemaakt is. Dat is alleen niet naar ons gecommuniceerd.

Onze excuses en we passen direct de specificaties aan op onze website. Klanten die niet tevreden zijn over de cover kunnen uiteraard hun geld terugkrijgen.
Translated:

Quote:
After contacting the supplier we found out that also they were surprised about the fact that the cover is not according the specifications (read: 100% leather). But they didn't communicate that with us.

Please except our apologies and we will change the specifications on our website. Customers that are not satisfied about their cover can get a refund.
So it seems that Bookeen is surprised as well about the cover not being 100% leather. But they still didn't change the specifications on their website.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:16 AM   #42
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL View Post
So it seems that Bookeen is surprised as well about the cover not being 100% leather.
Do you believe it?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:10 AM   #43
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
Do you believe it?

I keep it in the middle.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:32 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

But what is a "leather cover"? To my mind it's one that's made primarily of leather, which this one is. No "leather case" is made entirely and exclusively of leather - there must always be other materials in it.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:06 AM   #45
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But what is a "leather cover"? To my mind it's one that's made primarily of leather, which this one is. No "leather case" is made entirely and exclusively of leather - there must always be other materials in it.
The customer complained that the outside was made from plastic and according to the reseller it's indeed plastic. On the website you can see that the pictures of the cover's outside have a dark brown color just like the inside. So the one diplayed there is probably made out of leather, inside and outside.

I think we can safely say that the outside it plastic and that Bookeen should update the info on their website or start selling other covers.

Last edited by diabloNL; 01-11-2008 at 08:20 AM.