Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-08-2007, 06:18 PM   #16
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Can you actually buy a service plan for Sony from Europe?

The VAT in Sweden is 25% and the custum is around 5% so buying the Sony PRS-505 for $300 will result in a cost of $395 plus cost for delivery plus $25 if you can buy a service plan.

I will probably by a Gen 3 when it is available. Does anybody know if a SDK will be available?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:25 PM   #17
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
There were some noises from Bookeen (or was it NAEB?) about releasing the SDK. Haven't heard any confirmation recently though.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2007, 02:43 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
No. Buy a Sony Reader outside the US and you have, in effect, no warranty whatsoever. Sony Europe won't touch it if it goes wrong.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:48 AM   #19
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Of course you can ;-)
... all you need is a credit card with an USA billing address.
PLUS, when the Reader breaks you have to send it to USA for repairs somehow,
AND have to pay for having it sent back to Europe.

I was talking about the cost of two year warranty.
For lack of other meaningful numbers I looked at SONY, becouse there you can purchase an aditional Service, or even FOUR year Service Plus Accidental Handling Damage - for about the same money as ((350Eur) - ($350+19%VAT)).
If SONY can do a two year warranty for 25 bucks, Booken should be able to do it for similar cost.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:22 AM   #20
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I just wrote an email to Bookeen about the EURO pricing, please do the same. And DO NOT buy in Europe until they drop the EURO price.
When will companies notice that there is a thing called exchange rate!!! When 1 EUR will be worth $100???
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2007, 10:45 AM   #21
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
When 1 EUR will be worth $100???
According to some in a couple of years

http://www.ipopebooks.com/dollarcollapse.html

I'm not sure if it is also an e-book
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:26 PM   #22
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
I just wrote an email to Bookeen about the EURO pricing, please do the same. And DO NOT buy in Europe until they drop the EURO price.
When will companies notice that there is a thing called exchange rate!!! When 1 EUR will be worth $100???
BlackVoid,

C'mon. Be reasonable. Bookeen has to deal with the EU's VAT. That adds a tremendous burden on any retailer, so the Euro prices will always be higher. And with the Dollar tanking against other currencies, it's just going to get worse.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:32 PM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
BlackVoid,

C'mon. Be reasonable. Bookeen has to deal with the EU's VAT. That adds a tremendous burden on any retailer, so the Euro prices will always be higher. And with the Dollar tanking against other currencies, it's just going to get worse.

Derek
In fairness, though, the current exchange rate is €1 = $1.41, so effectively the CyBook is 41% more expensive in Europe than in the US. The VAT rate in France is only 19.6%, which only accounts for half the difference. However you look at it, it does rather seem that we Europeans are being charged some 20% more than Americans.

A question for you, Derek: I'm signed up with NAEB. Does that mean that I will be able to buy the CyBook from you at the US price?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:55 PM   #24
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In fairness, though, the current exchange rate is €1 = $1.41, so effectively the CyBook is 41% more expensive in Europe than in the US. The VAT rate in France is only 19.6%, which only accounts for half the difference. However you look at it, it does rather seem that we Europeans are being charged some 20% more than Americans.

A question for you, Derek: I'm signed up with NAEB. Does that mean that I will be able to buy the CyBook from you at the US price?
The biggest hurdle we have at this time is what kind of shipping to use and what, if any, import duties there are while going back to Europe... Lots of gray area there which we're muddling through.

Derek
Old 10-09-2007, 03:44 PM   #25
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am going for the new Sony reader at $300. I will order from the US. I am rather paying the tariff than the premium for Bookeen's idiotic pricing. Are they living on this planet? On the planet I am living on, the dollar is going bust. I just hope it drops to 3 dollars for 1 EUR and all the companies who price without considering the exchange rate go out of business.

I do not care about VAT. Post the net price excluding VAT.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:20 PM   #26
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
I am going for the new Sony reader at $300. I will order from the US. I am rather paying the tariff than the premium for Bookeen's idiotic pricing. Are they living on this planet? On the planet I am living on, the dollar is going bust. I just hope it drops to 3 dollars for 1 EUR and all the companies who price without considering the exchange rate go out of business.

I do not care about VAT. Post the net price excluding VAT.
Can't really post the net price. That's not been set yet. And Bookeen's pricing probably is the best it can manage in Europe. Living in the US, I deal with a different set of problems and issues.

Derek
Old 10-09-2007, 05:39 PM   #27
BlackVoid
Evangelist

Best it can manage for Europe? Thats weird. It is a european company. They can "manage" a much lower price for the US. Weird.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:52 PM   #28
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Best it can manage for Europe? Thats weird. It is a european company. They can "manage" a much lower price for the US. Weird.

I don't know this, so I'm only guessing. But I'd presume that devices built for export to the US may well be (once the firmware is finalized) flashed-in at the physical manufacturing facility and directly shipped to the US or, at most, transshipped at an 'International Warehouse' where they, 'legally', never enter Europe. That's how some items are handled here in the US.

But here again, I'm only guessing. Still, if that is the case, it may be that none of the VAT and any other duties are applied. And as I have only a vague (mis)understanding of how these things work, I could have it completely wrong - this is not, in any way, shape or form, my area of expertise.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:30 PM   #29
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Will the Naeb-version and the non Naeb-version differ in any way? Will I be able to do the same things on both versions?

From an European perspektive it seems much easier to buy directly from Bookeen.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:10 PM   #30
penty
Connoisseur
penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: CyBook Gen3
Yes both version will be identical, at least at first.

Quote:
Will the Naeb-version and the non Naeb-version differ in any way? Will I be able to do the same things on both versions?

From an European perspektive it seems much easier to buy directly from Bookeen.
penty is offline   Reply With Quote