Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-20-2007, 12:32 AM   #31
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
By the standards of most anime/manga I've seen floating around the internet, that picture was *MILD*!
I work for the state of Texas, and that sort of thing is one of the very few that can get me into serious trouble at work.

Besides, we do try to keep it family friendly around here, so if you happen to have anther pic that might illustrate the same thing (and I don't mean the things in the illustration ), but stays on the lighter side of PG-13, it might be appreciated (evidently by several of us) if you wouldn't mind switching it out yourself.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:31 AM   #32
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Mike,

Where did you get the idea that I didn't understand you? Did you not read my apology to Nekokami?

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF74 View Post
I don't think you fully understood what I was getting at Derek. I wasn't talking bandwith issues...

What I am saying is the display of cartoon breasts on a computer screen at work is enough to get some people reprimanded or fired. Sad, but true. So I'm just saying that you may want to lay of NSFW material in your full review.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2007, 01:38 AM   #33
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No worse than living in America. Let's see, I routinely have email conversations with people in France, UK, Germany, Israel, South Korea, China *and* Taiwan as well as even a few people in Turkey and South Africa. Not to mention my family friends in Kenya. What with all I've written to those people - even though the words would *have* to be taken out of context - I'm sure my email and phones are routinely monitored by DHS. Heck, I have received email from Iraqis.

IOW, it's not as if I have any reasonable expectation of privacy in my own life. So - in *my* life - I don't even flinch at NSFW. But I have already deleted that image from my blog and have no intention of including it in the reviews as after Nekokami pointed it out, I realized many others *are* worried about corporate 'guardians'. (Strange how knowing DHS is watching just makes the corp types so trivial to me. Sorry guys and gals.)

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenflight View Post
Yes this is very true at my work. All internet usage is monitored- in fact all computer use of any kind is monitored- They track every page you go to- and you'd better be prepared to explain how such usage was company related if you ever have the misfortune to be summoned before the inquisition. Corporate Security lives by the motto 'Guilty until proven innocent.'
Old 09-20-2007, 02:05 AM   #34
Ravenflight
Connoisseur
Ravenflight began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, Macbook, iPhone
Well, don't worry about me- I do all my browsing at work now on my personal iPhone- Now if they want to look over my shoulder, they have to literally look over my shoulder! And I can see em coming a long way off.
Best 20.00 a month I ever spent!
Ravenflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:45 AM   #35
delphidb96
Wizard

Isn't iPhone service, like, a *minimum* of $60 per month?

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenflight View Post
Well, don't worry about me- I do all my browsing at work now on my personal iPhone- Now if they want to look over my shoulder, they have to literally look over my shoulder! And I can see em coming a long way off.
Best 20.00 a month I ever spent!
Advert
Old 09-20-2007, 03:06 AM   #36
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Strange how the culture is different between the US and Europe, here
in France nobody would accept to have his internet browsing tracked
when at work!

Liberty, oh, dear liberty...
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:40 AM   #37
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket; Hiebook; N700; Sony 505; Kindle DX ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by guguy View Post
Strange how the culture is different between the US and Europe, here
in France nobody would accept to have his internet browsing tracked
when at work!

Liberty, oh, dear liberty...
I'm Italian and - although I often joke with american friends about how fast they're running towards a police state - I am pretty sure that today nowhere is safe from electronic monitoring (e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECHELON )

alessandro
alexxxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:44 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

Derek
The iPhone is being launched here in the UK this month, and the minimum contract price is £35 - US$70 - per month, although that includes unlimited data traffic. It's not even 3G either, unlike most "hi tech" phones now sold in Europe. I really don't see why anyone would want one, I have to admit!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:20 AM   #39
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I know at least one college in the UK were they monitor the Internet usage by the staff. They even have a list which has all college staff on it and how much they are using the Internet to browse for non college related content. If a tutor gets into top 50, it is not a good sign...

So, I guess they are going to adopt the same draconian rules as in the USA. (as the saying goes: whatever happens in the USA will be adopted here in 10 years)
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:44 AM   #40
Ravenflight
Connoisseur
Ravenflight began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, Macbook, iPhone
Quote:

Derek
Not when you are already a subscriber- If you are just adding the iPhone data plan to an existing account it is an extra 20.00 a month over what you are currently paying for whatever talk plan you are on.
Ravenflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:47 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does the US have "3G" phone networks, as a matter of interest? I'm rather curious as to why Apple went for EDGE for the iPhone rather than the vastly faster 3G.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:53 AM   #42
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Does the US have "3G" phone networks, as a matter of interest? I'm rather curious as to why Apple went for EDGE for the iPhone rather than the vastly faster 3G.
Yes, we do. These guys, for example, are 3G-based. I think Verizon has 3G deployed to support their new cell phone television service, but I could be wrong.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:08 AM   #43
Keith Lommel
Keith Lommel began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Treo 680, Sony Reader PRS-505 (Blue)
Quote:
Yes, the US has 3G. FWIW, the official line I've read about why Apple chose not to go with it is that they were concerned about battery life, and the current 3G chipsets consume somewhat more power than 2.5G.
Keith Lommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:17 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I wonder if it's a matter of coverage as well? It's obviously far easier to have a 3G network which covers a small, densely populated country like the UK than a huge, sparsely populated one like the US. I wonder if perhaps more of the country is covered by EDGE than by 3G?
Old 09-20-2007, 11:33 AM   #45
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
I wonder if it's a matter of coverage as well? It's obviously far easier to have a 3G network which covers a small, densely populated country like the UK than a huge, sparsely populated one like the US. I wonder if perhaps more of the country is covered by EDGE than by 3G?
I don't know about other wireless companies, but AT&T has fairly complete EDGE coverage in the US, but their 3G coverage is quite spotty.
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote