Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-07-2011, 10:13 PM   #31
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Also, to compare and contrast, this PD book that JS Wolf provided and that I stripped of fonts via Calibre DOES work.

Maybe someone can help me understand why this one doesn't have the bolding problems but the Twain one (and everything else in my library) does. Thanks! (And sorry to be so much trouble!)
Attached Files
File Type: epub The Secret Adversary (Non-Embedded) - Agatha Christie.epub (278.3 KB, 130 views)
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:03 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have figured it out and it took me forever. I was dealing with the same issue tonight and I just kind of stubled on it and from what I've found, you'd never have figured it out.

Get a copy of Notepad++. This is needed to fix things.

Now, plug in your 950 to your computer.
Load every CSS from your 950 into Notepad++ and for each tab go to the encoding menu and select Encode in UTF-8 without BOM. Then save them all and try your eBooks again.

If that does not work for all but it does for some, then it could be the CSS inside the ePub that needs an encoding change. The CSS I was working with looked fine. It's just the encoding that wasn't fine and ADE didn't like it.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-07-2011 at 11:10 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2011, 12:50 AM   #33
sonyreaderfan
Groupie
sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader Prs 950, iPad
Ok, this is really weird. I downloaded the noembedded Agatha Christie epub and the Mark Twain epub. For the Mark Twain epub, the font change to Charis took place. (I'm using Charis and Charis css too). But in the Agatha Christie book, the font was the original Sony default font. No font change took place. Can anyone tell me how to get the font change to take place with the Agatha Christie epub?

@anamardoll, to make things easy to trace, reset the style. Delete the file style.css in the directory READER/database/systems/PRSPlus/epub. Then do what JSWolf suggests regarding re-saving all the CSS files using Notepad++. After that, unplug the Reader and turn off the reader and turn it back on. This should make all the epubs use the default Sony font. Turn on the reader and open the Agatha Christie and Mark Twain epubs to make sure that's the case. Then select the Charis css in the PRS+ menu and open a THIRD book (any one) and then open the Mark Twain epub. Are you still getting bold Charis for the Mark Twain epub?

Last edited by sonyreaderfan; 06-08-2011 at 06:59 AM.
sonyreaderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:11 AM   #34
sonyreaderfan
Groupie
sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
And the plot thickens...

SRF, here is the screen shot you asked for for "How To Tell A Story". As you can see, the text is very bold.

JSWolf, here are the screen shots for the Agatha Christie story, before and after stripping out the embedded font. The (embedded) picture shows the Fontin very nicely, but interestingly enough, the (device) picture shows the Charis..... NOT BOLDED.

I confess this is unexpected. This would seem to indicate that the culprit is NOT the PRS+ software but rather something in the individual book CSS files? But this is the FIRST book out of dozens I've tested that hasn't gone all bolded on me. I'm even more confused now than before!
I noticed something, the middle picture *(device).jpg is NOT using Charis. It looks like it's using the Sony default font.

What would really help is pictures with fonts on XL setting. The easiest way to tell the difference between two fonts is the y's. Looking that the y in the picture, the 'tail' looks too thin to be Charis.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:53 AM   #35
sonyreaderfan
Groupie

Quote:
Also, to compare and contrast, this PD book that JS Wolf provided and that I stripped of fonts via Calibre DOES work.

Maybe someone can help me understand why this one doesn't have the bolding problems but the Twain one (and everything else in my library) does. Thanks! (And sorry to be so much trouble!)
Could you double check that you are getting Charis font? (Choose XL or XXL size, check the tail of the y. Check against the font of the reader with the font previewer in Windows -- double-click on the Charis font in Windows. If Charis is not in Windows, copy it to the Windows font folder from the Reader.)

When I looked at the non-embed Agatha Christie file, I'm getting default Sony Reader font.

Last edited by sonyreaderfan; 06-08-2011 at 06:55 AM.
Advert
Old 06-08-2011, 07:36 AM   #36
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have figured it out and it took me forever. I was dealing with the same issue tonight and I just kind of stubled on it and from what I've found, you'd never have figured it out.

Load every CSS from your 950 into Notepad++ and for each tab go to the encoding menu and select Encode in UTF-8 without BOM. Then save them all and try your eBooks again.

If that does not work for all but it does for some, then it could be the CSS inside the ePub that needs an encoding change. The CSS I was working with looked fine. It's just the encoding that wasn't fine and ADE didn't like it.
This worked right away.

You are a genius! You're right, I wouldn't have thought to mess with the encoding -- and funny enough, even though I copied all my CSS files off of each other, some of them had UTF-8 encoding and some had ANSI encoding. I wonder how that happened....

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH. Thank you!!!!!!

Old 06-08-2011, 09:19 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This worked right away.

You are a genius! You're right, I wouldn't have thought to mess with the encoding -- and funny enough, even though I copied all my CSS files off of each other, some of them had UTF-8 encoding and some had ANSI encoding. I wonder how that happened....

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH. Thank you!!!!!!

I spend (what seemed like) ages trying to figure out why I got bold text. I went as far as deleting all references to bold and still got bolded text. I also deleted all the CSS except for the font information and the body style. And still I got bolded text. Then I had another good look at a CSS that was working properly with Charis and I could not see any real difference until I took at look at the encoding. The encoding was different. Then I changed the encoding and the bold went away. It was only bold where it should be. If I put the encoding back to just UTF-8, it went back to bold and UTF-8 without BOM worked. Very strange bug in ADE. But at least we know what's going on now and can easily fix it.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #38
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:

This is all very odd. I've just checked all my PRS+ css files. All 20 of them have ANSI encoding, not UTF-8 without BOM. I've never had a problem with any of them on my PRS650 (or PRS505 for that matter).

Still, if your solution works for anamardoll, all well and good
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:02 AM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
This is all very odd. I've just checked all my PRS+ css files. All 20 of them have ANSI encoding, not UTF-8 without BOM. I've never had a problem with any of them on my PRS650 (or PRS505 for that matter).

It could be just UTF-8 is the problem. Not really sure. But I do think that you should set all your CSS to UTF-8 without BOM and you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #40
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post

I can explain this, maybe?

When I went through Notepad++, I noticed that the ONE css of mine that had ANSI encoding worked fine -- that was Fontina in this case. Since EVERYTHING ELSE I had was broken and bolded, I thought that the Fontina one was a fluke of the font style. (Like, maybe the bold Fontina was identical to the regular Fontina.)

So it's probable, based on these data points, that ANSI encoding works and UTF-8 without BOM works, but UTF-8 be itself does not.

Thank you ALL for all your help in this.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:49 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I can explain this, maybe?

When I went through Notepad++, I noticed that the ONE css of mine that had ANSI encoding worked fine -- that was Fontina in this case. Since EVERYTHING ELSE I had was broken and bolded, I thought that the Fontina one was a fluke of the font style. (Like, maybe the bold Fontina was identical to the regular Fontina.)

So it's probable, based on these data points, that ANSI encoding works and UTF-8 without BOM works, but UTF-8 be itself does not.

Thank you ALL for all your help in this.
Happy to help. If I did not have the same problem, there is no way anyone would have figured it out. It's just nothing that's obvious enough. The code looked fine. No errors. But for some reason, ADE has a bug when it comes to encoding I guess.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:55 PM   #42
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Happy to help. If I did not have the same problem, there is no way anyone would have figured it out. It's just nothing that's obvious enough. The code looked fine. No errors. But for some reason, ADE has a bug when it comes to encoding I guess.
It's lucky you were here then.

I'm sure I don't have any programs that would have told me the encoding of the CSS files, seeing as how I was writing them in MS Notepad.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:26 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
It's lucky you were here then.

I'm sure I don't have any programs that would have told me the encoding of the CSS files, seeing as how I was writing them in MS Notepad.
I've long dropped Notepad as it doesn't do much and it's a lousy ePub editor. Notepad++ is so much nicer. And I can do search/replace on all the loaded tabs. So that makes cleaning messy code that much easier. Without Notepad++, I'd never have found the encoding problem that was causing the fonts to be wonky.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:24 AM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I figured out part of the problem. And now that I know the problem, I can easily fix it.

Part of the problem is that the tools used to strip the DRM from ePub outputs the CSS in UTF-8 and that's the problem. The original CSS (in the book I had the problem with) is in ANSI yet after the DRM is removed, it's written out as UTF-8.