Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-09-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Clean the touch screen? (950 or other)

The touch screen on my beloved 950 has become grimy and gross. It's my own fault, or at least doing, but that doesn't mean I like it.

Basically, I have a skin condition known as "atopic eczema" (that's where "scaly" comes from) and although I have it well under control and no red scaly rash anywhere, I do consistently have very dry and frail skin, especially on my hands. To prevent the dryness from flaring into rash, I apply lotion generously and frequently through the day, and inevitably, though I try to be careful, lotion residue gets on all my gadgets.

I've tried to wipe the 950 screen with a moist cloth, with the reader powered off, but the fat in the lotion residue won't go away. I'm not worried about the "health" of the Pearl screen, it works just fine and is as responsive as ever, but it is becoming more and more cloudy and hazy, and books are now a bit hard to read, even with the contrast turned up.

Suggestions on how to effectively clean the screen without harming it are welcome.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I've used eyeglass cleaner (one I got from my eye doctor's office & is for glass & plastic) & a lens cloth. Some use a microfiber cloth. I do put my Sony to sleep when I do it. I think the safest way would be to spray the cloth though & clean with it. Then use a dry portion of the cloth to dry it. I've only cleaned my screen once so I can't say how this would affect it long term.

Last edited by Pomtroll; 06-09-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #3
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I also use eyeglass cleaners most of the time. But for better results I recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Notebook-Sc.../dp/B0000AJI8M

These are wonderful. They clean properly and don't leave any residue. I use them for laptops, ipad, sony readers. Great product.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:58 PM   #4
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Make sure the microfiber, lightly moistened, won't do the trick for you. Good microfiber (yes there is not-so-good) picks up contaminants like oils better than regular cotton. I've gotten untold splashes of food on my readers and always managed to get a streak free clean that way. If something was more stubborn I'd try some lens cleaning solution (again lightly wetting the wipe, never the reader!) like the newer Eclipse or older Kodak solutions.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:21 PM   #5
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I use screen wipes, too.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
I haven't had to clean my 950 but I am curious, would there be anything wrong with a soft rag lightly moistened with Windex or alcohol?
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:38 PM   #7
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I also use eyeglass cleaners most of the time. But for better results I recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Notebook-Sc.../dp/B0000AJI8M

These are wonderful. They clean properly and don't leave any residue. I use them for laptops, ipad, sony readers. Great product.
Thanks for the tip.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:02 AM   #8
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
thats why you use a screen protector, that way you don't worry about thinking twice what cleaner to use.
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:48 AM   #9
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
I haven't had to clean my 950 but I am curious, would there be anything wrong with a soft rag lightly moistened with Windex or alcohol?
No problem at all.

I use a freshly cleaned white cotton mens t-shirt.

Just lightly spritz some cleaner on the cloth (NOT on the screen) and then clean, with a light circular motion, with strokes that run parallel along the edges, rather than hard up against them, so as not to force liquid up under the bezel around the screen.

Again VERY LITTLE cleaner is needed. If too much cleaner is used, it could squeeze out of the cloth under pressure and run under the bezel edges around the screen where the IR sensors for the touch screen are (which would be very bad).

On the other hand, removing greasy fingerprints with no cleaner at all can be a problem too, because then you have to press harder, and too much pressure on the touchscreen could also damage it.

I don't want to make it sound tricker than it is though, because in practice, one quick light spritz of alcohol or Windex on the cloth will be enough to quickly remove fingerprints and other minor gunk with almost no pressure, while leaving virtually no moisture behind.

The correct amount of cleaner is that which you can barely notice on the rag, and that can be applied and removed in a single wipe, which will dry almost instantly.

Last edited by delphin; 06-10-2011 at 04:50 AM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:52 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphin View Post
On the other hand, removing greasy fingerprints with no cleaner at all can be a problem too, because then you have to press harder, and too much pressure on the touchscreen could also damage it. .
Actually, there's not really a touchscreen (as we have all these lasers doing the job!) but still pressing too hard on the screen shouldn't be too good for all the stuff underneath the screen...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:27 AM   #11
Panda Rose
Zealot
Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs505, Kindle 3, iPhone4
We use Kentucky fried (screen)wipes for all our monitors etc. Yes, the ones from KFC!
Panda Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:48 AM   #12
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphin View Post
Again VERY LITTLE cleaner is needed. If too much cleaner is used, it could squeeze out of the cloth under pressure and run under the bezel edges around the screen where the IR sensors for the touch screen are (which would be very bad).
That why I'm worried...

I eventually decided to use the rubbing alcohol I use to clean thermal paste off of CPUs with, and a microfiber cloth. It took some patience and testing, but all the grease is gone now, and the screen is much easier to read.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote