Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
breis96324
breis96324 began at the beginning.

Device: none
2 many to choose from

i am very new at this and i hope i am doing this correctly.

my husband has a reading problem but would like an e reader. i would like one that will not cost a fortune but has the following options

will read to you ( do i have to get special books for this)

maybe some books that are already on the system

color and easy to see font size

i have no idea on what to buy

thanks for your help
breis96324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Of the ebook readers with major sales in the US, only the Amazon Kindles offer text to speech for their ebooks. Note that some publishers turn TTS off, which is mentioned on each ebooks web page at Amazon.

The Kindle's have an E-Ink grayscale screen, and you can use a relatively large font size even on the 6" version (the 9.7" version is expensive).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
As noted, the kindle has a text-to-speech ability - a computerized voice can read certain books.

But it also supports actual audio books (and mp3 files) where actual people read the books. The specific books are by Audible.com but as indicated, if you can find other books in mp3 format, it can play those, too.

But the kindle is NOT color - gray-scale as indicated above.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:56 PM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
My blackberry is great for low cost readers it cost me $0 since the berry belongs to the office, however it will not read books to me. The Libra Pro is cheap but will not read books to you.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The Pocketbooks have TTS but I don't think their color version does.

Most of the major e-readers have an MP3 option on them and can be used to read Audio Books. Amazon and Pocketbook are the only two that I know of with TTS which will allow you to listen to some books that are not available as audio books.

Why is color important to you? If it is because it is a nice option then I would say get a Kindle. It is not color but it is easy to use, partnered with Audible.com so audio books are saved in your archive (easy to put on and off your e-reader), and it has the TTS for books not available as audio books.

The Nook Color has an MP3 option so you can listen to audio books and has a color screen. It costs $100 more then the K3 WiFi model, $70 more then the K3 3G/WiFi model. It does not have TTS.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2011, 01:32 PM   #6
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

reminder about Kindles and playing MP3 and Audible files. I know it's possible to play MP3 in the background but there is a learning curve for some but for an audiobook it won't remember where a person left off. I pretty much remember that for Audible books those don't(?) play in the background while reading. I don't remember about Audible in the background. But the Audible book player on the Kindle does remember where you were last listening. Reading along with the audio can be an issue if the book can't be played in the background.

No matter for either the MP3 or Audible option I would suggest an Audible compatible MP3 player over using the Kindle simply because they are better at it and they solve the issue of reading along with the book playing in the background. Audible usually has some sort of special when you commit to a 1-yr subscription. For most of last year there was a $100 credit on Amazon if you setup a new subscription. The credit was only good for an Audible compatible player or accessory for those players.

Last if it's not too personal for the OP can you describe your hubby's reading difficulty, it will help people form more cogent options for you. And really nobody here is going to be judgmental about any issues, we all love reading and know everyone has challenges in life. But too people understand if it's too much personal info.

EDIT: Seems the Audible+Amazon $100 credit is still happening here is the page:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...8&docId=598985

Hope that might help a bit!

Last edited by snipenekkid; 03-06-2011 at 01:35 PM.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
The Pocketbooks have TTS but I don't think their color version does.
Actually it should. Nevertheless, it was to be integrated later via firmware update, and we all know what happens with "features to come with firmware updates". Pity, really.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #8
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I note "computerized voice" and "certain books".

Sounds to me like you want a decent reader that does audiobooks (lots) or simply put CD books onto your PC and then sync/rip to the mp3 on reader (lots, again, have an mp3.) Try 'em first....

I would definitely want to hear any "computerized voice", (some are awful - and see what books are "certain" before splashing out ! (PS - Sony PRS has mp3 & Audiobooks for certain. 'Cos I've got one.)
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:18 PM   #9
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Good comment about checking the quality of the voices. I can vouch that the voices on the Kindle 2i are extremely good and I understand the K3 is even more refined. Even on my K2i's it rarely am I aware its a computer voice. And besides it's funny when it butchers some words. Keeps ya on your toes and even makes for the occasional spit-take.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #10
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipenekkid View Post
Good comment about checking the quality of the voices. I can vouch that the voices on the Kindle 2i are extremely good and I understand the K3 is even more refined. Even on my K2i's it rarely am I aware its a computer voice. And besides it's funny when it butchers some words. Keeps ya on your toes and even makes for the occasional spit-take.
and as the Snipenkkid mentioned in another thread today, the iPod touch is very affordable with the Audible Offer ($100 discount) through Amazon. The discount is available for any MP3 device that can download and play Audible files that are sold by Amazon and excludes third party vendors. Worth looking at anyway. You may not be interested in a long term commitment though.
Back to the iPod Touch. In my opinion the retina LCD screen is very sharp and clear. Fonts can be enlarged for reading or using finger gestures to enlarge the whole screen. $204.00 for the 8GB wifi model through amazon. I love mine and audio books are easy to download and listen to either with the speaker or with ear buds or headset.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:52 PM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
There are many books that do not have an audio book version that is available. If the OP is interested only in books that are available through Audio Book then I whole heartily agree that there are better technologies then an e-reader. If the OP is looking for something that is lighter, less expensive, more portable then a netbook, and has a longer battery life then a netbook/tablet/laptop that can read books not available as audio books then the K3 is a great option.

I know that there are folks who think that the voice sounds awful but there are plenty of folks who use the feature on the K3 and love it.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:37 AM   #12
tomereader
Zealot
tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ectaco JBL, Archos 5, 7, 70, Kindle DXG, Craig 7, Vizio Vtab
Hi breis96324,

I'm legally blind so have special needs for my reading and although I bought my jetbook lite for one reason (price) it has worked ok for me but I've continued to look for something that has a large font plus the ability to change background colors, font colors and play mp3 files so I could slide load free public library mp3 audiobooks to play

In this thread I listed sites like bard and rfbd https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90654 that might help a visually impaired person

here is a link to overdrive and they list devices they support http://www.overdrive.com/software/omc/

I got lucky and my JBL got an update so it will read public library books now too

I liked the looks of Aluratek Color Ereader (video review, comments here)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118133

list of ereaders with test to speech
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...e-book_readers

some ereaders with TTS
http://www.slashgear.com/pocketbook-...ader-10113284/
http://www.tabletssupport.com/androi...speech-eba701/

I would probably go with an android tablet now instead of the JBL ..
getting an ereader app like coolreader or something similar or now some android devices support ereader apps with TTS

http://www.androidzoom.com/android_a...eader_oxu.html
http://www.appbrain.com/app/moon-rea...oft.moonreader http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/e reader
tomereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #13
hughes
Addict
hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Galaxy Nexus, iPad 1
Hi Breis,

If you're insistent on color and text-to-speech, it looks like the iPad is what you'll want. It is expensive, though, and I know you mentioned caring about cost. Something will have to give in your constraints, as their intersection currently yields an empty set.

Explore your options:

text-to-speech (TTS) ereaders
color ereaders
low-cost ereaders

At the site behind those links, you can add or subtract preferences on factors until you narrow in on the best fit for you.
hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:52 AM   #14
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipenekkid View Post
reminder about Kindles and playing MP3 and Audible files. I know it's possible to play MP3 in the background but there is a learning curve for some but for an audiobook it won't remember where a person left off. I pretty much remember that for Audible books those don't(?) play in the background while reading. I don't remember about Audible in the background. But the Audible book player on the Kindle does remember where you were last listening. Reading along with the audio can be an issue if the book can't be played in the background. ...
BTW, the so-called "Audible" player in the Kindle can play any standard MP3 file, not just Audible's audio books.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote