Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-04-2011, 09:54 PM   #1
Carriebear
Polar Bear
Carriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Nook Color (rooted), iPod Touch (jailbroken)
Question about Clockwork Recovery and disabling updates

Hello, everyone. I'm new (obviously, and I'll be heading over to the Intro thread as soon as I post this) and I successfully rooted my Nook Color 3 days ago using Autonooter 3.0.0. Not being very techy I was somewhat terrified, but honestly I've been reading the threads here about rooting since I got my NookC. Thanks to everyone who posted about rooting, which apps work/do not work, the best apps, etc. I really appreciate everyone's helpfulness.

Now to my questions: I have seen a few posts/threads here about Clockwork Recovery. Is it necessary? Not being techy, as I said, the CWR sounds over my head, frankly, and I don't want to mess with anything.

That being said, I also don't want to lose the changes I have made to my Nook with B&N's auto-updater. Is there a simple way to disable that, or at least one that is easy to follow without my getting too deep into the "internal stuff"?

Thanks for "listening," and sorry if these questions are redundant.
Carriebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
Apoc
Connoisseur
Apoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookC with CM7 (eMMC)
Having followed instructions successfully already, you should be ready for the next step. Having said that however, it's not really necessary unless you plan on tinkering a lot and want the capability of restoring your image at will.

If it's only settings that you are worried about, it'd be best to get a backup program like MyBackup or Titanium to take care of that.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #3
Carriebear
Polar Bear
Carriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchfork

Thanks for your response, Apoc, I appreciate it. I don't plan on tinkering too much with the Nook beyond what I've already done as far as rooting. It's more that I don't want an auto-update to "erase" the rooting. I have a modded ipod and I don't have to worry about those changes being wiped out because I have the option to update or not. So I was just wanting to disable the B&N auto-updates so I could keep my current configuration.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:30 PM   #4
Apoc
Connoisseur
Apoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookC with CM7 (eMMC)
I'm aware of two ways but can't guarantee success.

1. Requires ADB. After making connection, type
adb shell mount -o rw,remount -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
adb shell mv /etc/security/otacerts.zip /etc/security/otacerts.zip_DISABLED_OTA_UPDATES

2. Requires purchase of two apps. Good investment, even if you buy nothing else.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=946969

I went with method 2. Good luck..
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
Carriebear
Polar Bear

Thanks once again, Apoc. I'll probably go with method 2 as well, just because reading up on ADB has me a little "gunshy." I appreciate your help!
Advert