Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-06-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
Rinzwind
Connoisseur
Rinzwind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G UK 3.03
Feature request: send epub to kindle3...

When I choose "send specific format" I get to choose all options except epub.
Could it be possible to have epub available as an option?

(and yes... as of today we can read epubs on my kindle 3 ).
Rinzwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
What did I miss?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 03:38 PM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzwind View Post
(and yes... as of today we can read epubs on my kindle 3 ).
I think I must have missed this...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I don't want to add not officially supported formats to device drivers as it means that auto conversion when sending to the device will fail for users of non hacked kindles.

At some point I have to get around to allowing "default disabled" formats in the drivers, but until I do, your only option is to run calibre from source with a manually patched kindle driver.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My question is this.

The OP stated "as of today we can read epubs on my K3"

Now..I understand converting epubs to mobi to be read on the kindle, but how do you read epubs on the K?

Or did i misunderstand?
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
My question is this.

The OP stated "as of today we can read epubs on my K3"

Now..I understand converting epubs to mobi to be read on the kindle, but how do you read epubs on the K?

Or did i misunderstand?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83201

this is all i can think of
Old 11-06-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
Oboe Joe
Oboe Joe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, iPhone
"EPUB on your Kindle? It’s possible! The alternative firmware for Kindle, Duokan, is now available with an english GUI. It is Duokan version 0.5.13.6613 (2010/11/06) for Kindle 2, 3 and DX. You should bear in mind that this version is a beta version. Duokan will install besides the original firmware so you can switch easily between it and the original firmware."

http://flip.netzbeben.de/2010/11/duo...ish-gui-today/

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=105316

Last edited by Oboe Joe; 11-06-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Oboe Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
rcuadro
Wizard

Would it not be easier to simply convert them to Mobi?
Old 11-06-2010, 05:46 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
Well, that would be my opinion, but to each his own.

As long as people are happy with their solutions, thats all that counts!
Old 11-07-2010, 02:02 AM   #10
Rinzwind
Connoisseur
Rinzwind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G UK 3.03
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
I do not know where the problem starts but characters like ë,è,ï,é,ä keep messing up my mobi files so I wanted to try out epubs on the Kindle.
I end up with half a line gone everytime any of the special charachtes show up (those are the characters roughly ranging from alt-128 to alt-145).

Hence my question but I see kovidgoyal does not agree so I will forget about it and just use usb transfers
Rinzwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:47 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzwind View Post
Hence my question but I see kovidgoyal does not agree so I will forget about it and just use usb transfers
Don't forget you can still use calibre's Send to device feature to transfer epubs to your kindle via the Connect to Folder option to connect to any directly accessible folder on your Kindle.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote