Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-03-2010, 10:37 AM   #1
markeb
markeb began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Reverse Language Translation Direction?

Need a German dictionary for Kindle. Unfortunately they only work one-way:English to German. But there were some posts on this site a few months back where someone was able to successfully reverse the direction https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42283. I tried it myself but wasn't able to get it work. Here's what I did and what I learned, any help or advice on this woud be appreciated:

1. I purchased the Pocket Oxford German Dictionary from Kindle site.
2. I downloaded it to my computer.
3. I de-DRMed it following instructructions from http://nyquil.org/archives/1128-Conv...-a-Kindle.html
4. This produced a .mobi file which i edited in hex editor.
5. I reversed the codes for the dictionary input language and output language based on the mobi header description that I found at https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/MOBI.
6. Deleted my original German Dictionary on the Kindle.
7. Uploaded the modified Mobi version and assigned it as my default dictionary.

It did not work. You can open the dictionary and look stuff up but it is still English to German direction and is not functioning as a quick reference in either German or English.

The uneditted mobi version of the dictionary works just like the original. The editted version has problems.

Last edited by markeb; 03-03-2010 at 10:42 AM.
markeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
My experience (with Spanish) is that the translation dictionaries were paired English->Spanish and Spanish->English. And I could set the default dictionary to be either, but not both. And that the Kindle version worked on MobiPocket Reader after DeDRM (just an experiment since I don't need a dictionary on my computer since WordReference.com is better).

I mentioned the two dictionaries because it might be a simple solution to your goal. However, I suspect you are diving in a bit deeper into the dictionary eBook format itself.

I found in the Wiki and another MobileRead thread how to build a dictionary and a source for existing translation dictionaries that you can convert to MobiPocket (Kindle):
http://xdxf.revdanica.com/down/index.php

By the way, the Kindle 2 does work with a DeDRM'd translation dictionary.
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I'm sorry it didn't work I used a German->English dictionary (bought at mobipocket.com) - not a "both-way" dictionary, as I would have little use of English->German.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:01 PM   #4
markeb
markeb began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Got it working.

I bought the mobi dictionary, followed your instructions. And it is now working. This is GREAT! Thank you so much.
markeb is offline   Reply With Quote