Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 11-20-2008, 03:28 AM   #16
pelenor
pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader 300
Wow, I haven't read the forums for a while, funny how life get's in the way but lo and behold, the day I come back, there's a meeting in my hometown. Yes, that's right, born and raised on the southside of Chicago, lfe long Cubbie fan (yeah, I know ONLY northsiders are supposed to like the Cub's, heh, go figure) and yes, I do know some of the non touristy fun spots to hang out at. Not sure if I'm working on saturday yet, but if you don't mind a third ( or fourth, fifth etc) maybe I'll tag along. Did I just invite myself to be third wheel? SHUDDER
pelenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:43 PM   #17
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Wonderful!!! The more the merrier. The table with people doing nothing but reading will be your target
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2008, 10:35 PM   #18
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
@ DCB:

Are you a boater, or did you just steal the pic from someone?
(um...that's not snarky, just point of clarification)
Anyone have photos of the "spire" going up? Is that still happening?

Last edited by Cthulhu; 11-20-2008 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Needle, spire, it will still be a monstrosity
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:18 AM   #19
dcbcreative
Window shopper...
dcbcreative doesn't litterdcbcreative doesn't litter

Device: Interested in the iRex Digital Reader
Nope... ...In spite of my nautical delusions of grandeur I'm not actually a pirate.

I am though a boater. Well crew. Been learning to sail for two and a half seasons now while regularly sailing on three different boats. A Chris Craft 26' day cruiser (Yes, Chris Craft did make sailboats at one time), a Tartan 30' cruiser/racer and a Tartan/Thomas 35' race/cruiser- Did my first race to Mackinac Island this year on the later (It took us 59 hours to get there and we ranked in the middle of our section).

I'm also a shutter bug. So the photo is actually mine (I would have inquired as well) and I got thousands of them floating around my hard drive just waiting to be sorted through and properly edited for display or some such junk.

That particular photos was taken on October 1st while doing the annual end of the season bridge run for the 30' cruiser/racer. Always a bittersweet treat.

Do you sail..? Are you interested..? I can tell you, skippers are practically desperate for good crew. They'll teach you if you are mechanically inclined, slightly fit and sensibly minded. Oh and it helps if you don't get sea sick easily (Happens to everyone at one time or another) and know how to swim (Just in case).

As for the Spire, I've heard rumor that the project has been put on hiatus due to the economic downturn. But as I said, I heard it as rumor.

Last edited by dcbcreative; 11-21-2008 at 04:30 AM.
dcbcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:08 PM   #20
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Funny. As a non-boater (not that I object to them; I just haven't) it didn't even occur to me that the photo was taken from the vantage point of a boat!
Advert
Old 11-21-2008, 08:12 PM   #21
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
My apartment building is on the left.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:24 PM   #22
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
My apartment building is on the left.
Well, it's near fish, but why isn't blue?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:27 AM   #23
Jeff Duntemann
Enthusiast
Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3; also Moto G Stylus phone
Good luck and hope this works out long-term. I'm an old Chicago boy from the Nort'wes Side and I'm still in town a lot, but the timing doesn't work this time. (I'll be back in three weeks, sigh.)

Would very much like to meet you all. Let us know how it goes, and do let us know when the next meetup will take place.
Jeff Duntemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:58 PM   #24
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I'm hoping that someone will post an account of the meet-up soon.
But maybe they are all still partying the night away...
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:14 PM   #25
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
We are being held accountable, are we?

I was the first there. It's a disease. Grimy little sandwich shop. Well, I didn't witness any actual grime, per se, but we will pick a better venue next time! The sandwich was good.

Next to arrive was Deb, who zeroed right in on me, whipped out the Kindle while simultaneously announcing "it isn't as ugly in person". I thought she meant me, for a second.

Then we had a surprise guest. If I told you, it wouldn't be a surprise.

Last was dcbcreative. Who is both. DCB, and creative. Welcome, fellow member of HBMoA! (Handsome Bald Men of America). Sub-chapter "WFH" (with Facial Hair).

We all chatted and laughed. I showed my girlie drawings. People were kind. The surprise guest had to leave early, and the rest adjourned to my apartment building. We looked at my spartan apartment, then went to the lounge. I introduced DCB to Pente, and we played while Deb read.

Then pretty girls walked by and I was distracted. That happens to me frequently. I don't know how people put up with it.

The surprise guest was the lovely Mrs. Alexander Turcic. Surprised? I was! Imagine, she flew all the way from Switzerland just to meet us.

Photos were taken. They are not to be posted publicly without my prior review. It was very dastardly of Alex to send a pretty girl with a camera. I was distracted.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:18 PM   #26
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Next to arrive was Deb, who zeroed right in on me, whipped out the Kindle while simultaneously announcing "it isn't as ugly in person". I thought she meant me, for a second.
So, I have to ask. Does Deb look as good in a sandwich shop as she does in a towel (see her avatar)? Also, I'm not sure why she whipped you with her Kindles. Where you being rude?

Did you invite the pretty girls to read with you? Did you offer to buy them an ebook?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:25 PM   #27
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

oh, there was general whipping all around. It seemed called for. I'm not home yet; I'm sitting on the train, waiting for it to leave. (logged via my gadget-aholic iPhone ). Taylor and DCBetc are every bit as handsome and cuuuute as expected. Sighhhhhhh. Oh, to be ten years younger ......
Old 11-22-2008, 10:35 PM   #28
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Well I can say that once I get back Stateside I plan on making some of these meetings. Between Chicago and GA,KY,TN, and Alabama I think I can justify a bike trip! So keep the meets coming I am sure I can crash one or two.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:58 PM   #29
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
Well I can say that once I get back Stateside I plan on making some of these meetings. Between Chicago and GA,KY,TN, and Alabama I think I can justify a bike trip! So keep the meets coming I am sure I can crash one or two.

JJ
why wait to go all the way back there ? we're having another one in paris end of january. you could come to that one.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:15 PM   #30
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
I would love to ZP but Plane tickets are kind of Pricey and it would be on my own dime.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, meet-up