Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 07-27-2014, 06:18 PM   #1
Edmundb
Edmundb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle e-ink
Problems with Kindle ncx view

I’m trying to create my first Kindle book. It’s been built from the ground up and converted using the latest versions of epubpack and KindleGen.

All appears to be well and checks out; except for a problem with NCX view. If I drop the .mobi into the Kindle Previewer then it opens on the page set to the first in the Guide Section. So all is well.

However if I select NCX ‘Title’ it displays the cover picture and I cannot display the title page. The title page is definitely there because I can access it through the TOC.

If the Kindle Previewer is set to e-ink then using NCX view I can select and deselect ‘Title’ with no problem. I have a e-ink Kindle and the book behaves as it should on the physical device.

The Kindle PC Reader opens on the title page (not the one set as the first) and then shows the same behaviour as the Previewer except that the ncx menu now includes a ‘Cover’ item, which does in fact select the cover.

The TOC works fine.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Edmundb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:16 PM   #2
Edmundb

I sorted the problem so I thought I'd add an explanation just in case anybody else makes the same rather stupid mistake as I did.

In the first navmap of the .ncx file I'd omitted the entry point id, in other words I'd written

<content src="Content/Title.html">

instead of

<content src="Content/Title.html#title">

Kindlegen doesn't mind this omission for e-inks but does for KF8s.
Advert
Old 07-30-2014, 03:22 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why would you need to specify an anchor point?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:35 PM   #4
Edmundb

To be honest I’m not sure. This has all been done and tested in the best traditions of empirical programming. All I can assume is that KindleGen somehow confuses the very top of the title page with the cover that immediately precedes it. (I have a cover.html, with linear =”no” in the spine)

This is only an issue with the Kindlefire, the e-ink behaves perfectly, for some reason KindleGen seems to treat the KF8 a bit differently.

I’d be a lot happier if I knew exactly what was going on; fixes that work without me knowing why usually end up biting me in the backside.