Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 07-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #31
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I don't see much difference in Like and Karma except the numbers thing. You agree with the poster and like the fact they posted the information.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #32
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
As poor as the "Like" system is, at least as long as it isn't accumulative it doesn't have the same potential for abuse as the current karma system. Nobody, least of all me, deserves 73,458,788 points of Karma. Like most of our members I've done a few useful things around here, but the vast majority of those points were awarded for posting jokes I didn't write, music I didn't compose, and videos I didn't produce.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #33
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
On Facebook, for instance, when a friend posts something important like, "A politician I despise was caught with his hand in the till," what does it mean if you "Like" it?
It basically means, Thanks for the post or good post AFAICT. At least that's how I use it. You are "likeing" the post... NOT the content of a link posted.

I think it also depends on what you like. If it is a link and I see a LIKE I generally think the person appreciates the link. If it is a comment or personal post, the personal likes the post, agrees with it, or is supporting you...

For example, If I post... "I was up all last night projectile vomiting." and you "like" that post, I'm sure that is more of a "hang in there" support than a "I'm so happy you're sick".

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #34
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Will the "communication/action" be reduced to simply click a button or will the comment line still be there?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #35
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
...If I post... "I was up all last night projectile vomiting." and you "like" that post, I'm sure that is more of a "hang in there" support than a "I'm so happy you're sick".

BOb
Well that's nice to know.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #36
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
The notification when someone quotes you is a very good news, thanks. Some threads are growing so fast that it's difficult to keep track when not logging everyday day
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #37
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Will the "communication/action" be reduced to simply click a button or will the comment line still be there?
We are switching to XenForo... (not sure if that was supposed to be a secret, I so, sorry). Alex has been working on it for quite some time now. Waiting for a version that supports all that we have here, and customizing it with many of the things he has done on the current software.

XenForo contains an asset manager type add-in that will be used to replace the ebook library and I think the plan is to use WordPress for the frontpage/new feed system to allow for multiple people to post news items, etc.

You can check on http://xenforo.com/ yourself, I expect they have a demo system set up somewhere. Although, I expect that it will not be configured exactly as mobilereads instance of it will be.

BOb
Old 07-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #38
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
I prefer liking over karma. I don't even bother giving anyone karma. It just doesn't mean anything to me.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #39
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Thanks for leaking, Bob!

Looks fine, although this paragraph
Quote:
Social Engagement
Keep your users coming back by letting them earn trophies for reaching milestones. An intuitive "like" system makes users feel appreciated for their contributions, while integration with Facebook allows easy registration and sharing.
reminded me immediately on the Red-Flags-thread. And take with you as many of the smilies from here as possible, they are much nicer.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #40
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I hope that there is no Facebook integration. I like to keep things separate and don't feel like Facebook integration is needed unless it is STRICTLY optional.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #41
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I hope that there is no Facebook integration. I like to keep things separate and don't feel like Facebook integration is needed unless it is STRICTLY optional.
I'm 99% sure it is optional.

BOb
Old 07-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #42
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I'm 99% sure it is optional.

BOb
100% correct.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:26 AM   #43
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
I ran the demo and it seems that by default it handles the view as if liquid was set at the bottom. Because I like to scroll the font size larger this is my only real concern and it handles it great. Looking forward to the new software.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #44
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
As poor as the "Like" system is, at least as long as it isn't accumulative it doesn't have the same potential for abuse as the current karma system. Nobody, least of all me, deserves 73,458,788 points of Karma. Like most of our members I've done a few useful things around here, but the vast majority of those points were awarded for posting jokes I didn't write, music I didn't compose, and videos I didn't produce.
77,243,718 karma now.

Is there going to be a wholesale devaluation of karma as it is exchanged into the new like economy? Is karma even going to be honored in the new economic system? How am I going to remember which members are valuable and which are not? Is my middle class status at risk?
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #45
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
77,243,718 karma now.

Is there going to be a wholesale devaluation of karma as it is exchanged into the new like economy? Is karma even going to be honored in the new economic system? How am I going to remember which members are valuable and which are not? Is my middle class status at risk?
Believe me, we have discussed this quite a bit. The karma system as it is now has room for abuse, and it has been abused. I hope we can find something equitable to do. Or, maybe not.

BOb