Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-24-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
hpstricker
hpstricker began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, iPad
Which difference does it make whether I use NCX-pageList or not?

I cannot see any difference whether using NCX-pageList/pageTargets or not: The number of "pages" still depends on the font size, the page numbers in the table of contents still depend on the font size, and so on.

Can anyone tell me what the benefit of using pageLists/pageTargets should be?
hpstricker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:23 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
It will depend on the reading software. Some don't pay attention to NCX pageList and generate page numbers based on how the text lays out, others will at least display the pageList labels in the margin, others use them for the page numbering itself. I think best practice is to include them if the text is based on a print edition, without regard to whether a given reading system does anything with them.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2011, 06:59 PM   #3
hpstricker
hpstricker began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, iPad
I used the tag "iPad" to make clear that I'm asking with respect to the iPad (and its ibook-application): Is the iPad (with ibooks) one of the devices that makes use of pageList or not? And if so, how?

What do you mean with "include them"? Do you have a reference for this "best practice"?

(I ask because Apple seems to be strict and doesn't accept EPUBs with hard-coded page numbers ("included") for its ibookStore and recommends to use NCX pagelist, instead. And I just cannot see why I should make the effort.)
hpstricker is offline   Reply With Quote